Make Patty Mills our new No. 1 Ticket Holder!

Remove this Banner Ad

So you get carded for calling a team in a sport that isn't even within the scope of this forum second rate? If I call West Coast second rate I wouldn't get carded. If it's because no one likes basketball i just have to point to the NBL having average crowds of 4k and barely being covered on fta tv. It's a niche sport even if you follow it.

How about you convince me. All I've seen in this thread is a few basketball fans seeing some new Aussie have a couple of ok games in a losing side and suddenly proclaim him the greatest South Australian sportsman alive. When he has won an olympic medal as the highest scorer or won an NBA championship (and not as 3rd pick) or been selected on an NBA all stars team then I'll start putting him above those others.

Point 1) basketball is the number 1 participation sport in Australia between 9 and 15 year olds. So that makes your point about no one following it moot.
Point 2) For every one person who watched the AFL, 1000 people across the globe would watch the NBA
Point 3) Just because you're ignorant about the sport, doesn't mean everyone is. Stop talking shit about something you know very little about
Point 4) San Antonio lost in the NBA play offs to the team that made the final and that series went to 7 games. They were very much in the hunt for the title.
Point 5) Basketball is a team sport, Patrick Mills lead the Boomers from 12th to 8th and became the leading scorer in the games. This may not seem like a big deal to you, but anyone who knows the sport will understand that it actually is. Show some respect and stop being a tool.

How ill-informed you are..... really you are. Patty Mills was drafted by Portland and was their backup point guard. He was getting good minutes and playing well. Then a little thing called the lockout happened. He then went to play in China and got stuck on a contract there not allowing him to return to the NBA when it started again. He then copped a knee injury that kept him out. He was then recruited by the Spurs who made it all the way to the conference finals. He didn't play a big part in that granted but he never was going to joining the club with on 15 games to go and a game plan/strategy set. He did in fact get some great minutes towards the end of the home and away season and break the Australian record for most point scored in a single game with 38. A few quick facts:
  • NBA is the US 3rd most watched sport on TV
  • NBA is MASSIVE in China...... you know that place Australia does so much business with
  • Viewers for the NBA globally are larger than any tennis tournament
  • When was the last time Hewitt was around the AFC?
  • When did Patrick Mills last go help the enemy?
I'm not against Hewitt and all he stands for but he is a spent force. At least Patty is out there promoting the club whilst Hewitt is no where to be seen. There is also a good chance Patty Mills will become the Spurs 1st backup PG this season. If he were on a team that didn't have a Hall of Fame PG on it he'd be starting. He also has a connection with the club. He is great mates with a lot of players. Hewitt has no connection anymore. In fact he has more connection with the Power.
I am all for either Patty Mills or Adam Scott becoming our new number one ticket holder. To dismiss it simply because you are ill-informed is both ludicrous and naive.

What does the popularity of the NBA in other countries have to do with anything. Are you seriously arguing that he will make us all these chinese fans? Because that is completely absurd. If you read, I'm for replacing Hewitt but not with someone who is yet to achieve anything like the other candidates.

Basically you want this guy because you like basketball and you think he has the potential to be a star player. What will you say when he gets cut back to the NBL in 2 years time because he didn't fulfill this potential you see.

Point 1) basketball is the number 1 participation sport in Australia between 9 and 15 year olds. So that makes your point about no one following it moot.
Point 2) For every one person who watched the AFL, 1000 people across the globe would watch the NBA
Point 3) Just because you're ignorant about the sport, doesn't mean everyone is. Stop talking shit about something you know very little about
Point 4) San Antonio lost in the NBA play offs to the team that made the final and that series went to 7 games. They were very much in the hunt for the title.
Point 5) Basketball is a team sport, Patrick Mills lead the Boomers from 12th to 8th and became the leading scorer in the games. This may not seem like a big deal to you, but anyone who knows the sport will understand that it actually is. Show some respect and stop being a tool.

1) I guess they all quit the more popular sports at 9 years old. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Products/BCEBC1565CADCFA4CA25796B00151754?opendocument (high irony in tennis being more popular)
2) so?
3 and 4) yeah i corrected the San Antonio thing a while ago maybe you should move on
5) When have i said he played poorly? We should be selecting someone who's achievements transcend the need for indepth knowledge.

1) I guess they all quit the more popular sports at 9 years old. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Products/BCEBC1565CADCFA4CA25796B00151754?opendocument (high irony in tennis being more popular)
2) so?
3 and 4) yeah i corrected the San Antonio thing a while ago maybe you should move on
5) When have i said he played poorly? We should be selecting someone who's achievements transcend the need for indepth knowledge.

For someone who doesn't know who Patrick Mills is, you're pushing this anti mills angle a long way.

I think it actually goes a bit deeper, you do know him and have an issue with him. That's why you're carrying on like a pork chop over this issue.

For someone who doesn't know who Patrick Mills is, you're pushing this anti mills angle a long way.

I think it actually goes a bit deeper, you do know him and have an issue with him. That's why you're carrying on like a pork chop over this issue.

Ad hominem attacks ftw. Before this thread all i knew about him was he was our best player at the olympics. I didn't even know he was a crows supporter or played in the NBA. Before the olympics i didn't even know he existed at all.

and just to go back to your point 5. It seems he lifted us from 7th to 7th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_at_the_2008_Summer_Olympics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics

Just for the record the carding comment was a joke - I like to talk things out (or be annoying as afgm would say).

Also, I took umbrage with spurs being labeled second rate....nothing else.

Even I'm skeptical of patty as number one ticket holder, but would be fun for me! You gotta love how he is getting involved tho.

Patty in the role will get more members from young kids moving into adult hood than hewitth imo. Anyone disagree with that?

Patty in the role will get more members from young kids moving into adult hood than hewitth imo. Anyone disagree with that?

I think Hewitt's time is up. It's been a long time since he was winning consistently even if you have to respect that he keeps soldiering on.

As for Mills, well you could do what you are suggesting, but that's not awarding in based on merit. You might as well sponsor someone into the role if you are going that route. Guy Sebastian would be the obvious choice then. He could put on concerts at half time for everyones enjoyment. ;)

Hewitt's still da man!!

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...versus-pea-heart/story-fnddklvw-1226463126841

THE contrast between Lleyton Hewitt and Bernard Tomic has always been stark, but it was never more acute than at the US Open.
At 31 and handicapped by battered feet and knees, veteran Hewitt ignored bloodied and blistered toes in sweltering heat to beat Gilles Muller in five sets.
At 19, and with those closest to him filling his head with delusions of greatness, Tomic sagged to a straight-sets defeat to Andy Roddick, prompting John McEnroe to accuse the teenager of tanking.
Hewitt walked out of Flushing Meadow justly satisfied with a heroic 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 6-4 victory over Muller.
Tomic sulked his way through the post-match media conference, attempting to intimidate an Australian tennis writer while glossing over his own shortcomings.
The pair will next week attempt to lift Australia back into the top flight of Davis Cup in a promotion tie with Germany in Hamburg.

Based on form and attitude, Hewitt will shoulder most of the weight of Australian hopes.

Digging deep has been Hewitt's signature throughout a career that now includes a 31-18 record in matches that go to five sets - as well as two majors.
He absorbed an incredible 95 winners and 35 aces from Muller, yet was never despondent.

Roddick was delighted with his performance, refusing to be drawn on Tomic - but happy to laud Hewitt.
"He's probably the best competitor I played against," Roddick said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And you're a space cadet. Second rate team? Ignorance is probably saving you from a card here mate ;)
Bugger the ignorance! That shit is card worthy! San Antonio has been one of the most successful franchises of the last 15 years and for a small market team it is an outstanding achievement,

Not to mention that Pop is the best coach in the NBA by far and he is running that place!

yeah a battler who spent 2ish years as the best tennis player in the world. what a spud to absolutely pants Sampras in the final of his home slam. he'd have won the aus open aswell if Safin handnt chosen that year to try.

Hewitt is seriously misunderstood. i'm not saying he's the greatest bloke in the world and sure he's not the most polished media performer.

what has he ever done to deserve the hate he gets?

Nothing. Unbelievable to think that he still is playing with his battered body, he does not need the coin. He is doing it because he loves to compete, and wants to get Australia back into the world group of davis cup.
His record breaking davis cup efforts exceed any previous australian great. Also don't forget the number of times that he has lost grand slam matches to the eventual winner, particularly the French open.

I agree with gunner_vine. Yes it is great Patty Mills is a Crows fan, but I suspect that most people would not have heard of the bloke before the Olympics. He is not a starter in the NBA, he has not won anything of significance and the team he plays for would not be considered a high profile team. Now before all you NBA fanboys get excited, answer this, if you asked the average punter to name 5 NAB teams, if they could, what would they be? Most likely the Lakers, Bulls, Heat, Celtics and Nicks.

I say stick with Hewitt until he retires.

Pat Rafter reckons Lleyton goes alright still.....

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...r-lleyton-hewitt/story-fnddklvw-1226467244468

PAT Rafter has lauded "full on" Lleyton Hewitt as the heart and soul of Australia's Davis Cup team celebrates yet another milestone.
Already the most prolific singles winner in Australian Davis Cup history, Hewitt will become the country's most-capped player in next week's World Group playoff against Germany.

The 31-year-old former world No.1 will be contesting his 33rd tie in the do-or-die claycourt fixture, surpassing the record he shared with retired doubles ace Todd Woodbridge.

Hewitt made his Cup debut alongside Rafter as an 18-year-old back in 1999.

Since then, he has chalked up a record 49 match wins - 38 in singles and 11 in doubles - and helped Australia claim the coveted trophy in 1999 and 2003 during a glorious run of four finals appearances in five years.

Hewitt is now very much in the twilight of his illustrious career, but Australia's captain said he'd continue picking the dual grand slam champion "for as long as he wants to be around".

"He's got all the records," Rafter said.

"That's a great legacy and his passion is something he always brings to the team as well.

"The other guys in the team feed off that and we're trying to create a culture and a feeling that Davis Cup is really important for us all.

"For all those players, it can really help their career. It's a really good bonding tool as well and Lleyton helps bond everyone together.

"He's full on and that's what I love about him."

Remove this Banner Ad

Make Patty Mills our new No. 1 Ticket Holder!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back