Roast Who should be our next coach? [melty]

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont want Hird coaching another club, making them successful while we're still suffering at the bottom of the ladder :triumph:

You’re clueless.

Clarko’s record was 58% at Hawthorn… including flags… but 55% in your first 3 years is “shit?”

Rightio.

Clarkson showed Improvement in the team every year for his first 4 years.

2005 - Hawthorn Finished 14th
2006 - Hawthorn Finished 11th
2007 - Hawthorn Finished 5th
2008 - Hawthorn Finished 2nd and won the GF.

Hird did not show the same growth over his tenure, even before the drugs saga commenced.

It's pure speculation you think Hird would ever have amounted to something.

Clarkson showed Improvement every year for his first 4 years

2005 - Hawthorn Finished 14th
2006 - Hawthorn Finished 11th
2007 - Hawthorn Finished 5th
2008 - Hawthorn Finished 2nd and won the GF.

Hird did not show the same growth over his tenure, even before the drugs saga commenced.
Mate we were primed for a top 4 finish in 2013 if it wasn't for the unfair punishment...

Mate we were primed for a top 4 finish in 2013 if it wasn't for the unfair punishment...

what unfair punishment?

We deserved what we got.

Stop making excuses.

I posted this on the main board but is probably more relevant here. From 2004 onwards, every premiership coach except Malthouse was a first appointment. Nearly all of them were appointed from outside the club. Longmire and Roos were already at Sydney, but pretty much everyone else was an assistant somewhere successful. And both of Longmore and Roos were first time appointments, anyway. 19 out of the last 20 premiership coaches were first appointments

So, the prerequisites are:

• experienced assistant coach, from outside your club
  • first time coach

You get a coach who hasn't coached before who is young and hungry from somewhere successful

Have a look at Essendon's coaching appointments since Sheedy.

Matthew Knights: was at Essendon as Reserves coach - doesn't fit model
Hird: had never coached before. Never been outside Essendon - doesn't fit model in ANY way.
Thompson: Had coached before - doesn't fit model
Worsfold: Had coached before - doesn't fit model
Rutten: Appointed from within Essendon - doesn't fit model
Scott: Had coached before - doesn't fit model

I mean it's just ridiculous.

Not a single one of our 6 coaches has fitted the model for success. Not one. Just pick someone young, hungry who has been an assistant somewhere successful. Only interview those people. It's not really that hard in principle.

The whole mindset of this club is wrong. Everyone decision they make is wrong.

excluded from the finals, which the players/club knew was coming half way through the season, hence the drop off in performance

excuses.

We ran a drugs program we had **** all accounting of. We deserved what we got for nothing other than being morons.

Dredging it up 10 years later thinking Hird is going to fix our problems is the height of delusion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I posted this on the main board but is probably more relevant here. From 2004 onwards, every premiership coach except Malthouse was a first appointment. Nearly all of them were appointed from outside the club. Longmire and Roos were already at Sydney, but pretty much everyone else was an assistant somewhere successful. And both of Longmore and Roos were first time appointments, anyway. 19 out of the last 20 premiership coaches were first appointments

So, the prerequisites are:

• experienced assistant coach, from outside your club
  • first time coach

You get a coach who hasn't coached before who is young and hungry from somewhere successful

Have a look at Essendon's coaching appointments since Sheedy.

Matthew Knights: was at Essendon as Reserves coach - doesn't fit model
Hird: had never coached before. Never been outside Essendon - doesn't fit model in ANY way.
Thompson: Had coached before - doesn't fit model
Worsfold: Had coached before - doesn't fit model
Rutten: Appointed from within Essendon - doesn't fit model
Scott: Had coached before - doesn't fit model

I mean it's just ridiculous.

Not a single one of our 6 coaches has fitted the model for success. Not one. Just pick someone young, hungry who has been an assistant somewhere successful. Only interview those people. It's not really that hard in principle.

The whole mindset of this club is wrong. Everyone decision they make is wrong.
Did you also count all the first time coaches with experience as an assistant who failed at their first club? There’s more of them than there are first timers with experience as assistants who won flags — thus indicating that there must be at least one other variable involved in predicting a premiership.

My suggestion would be to count the number of experienced coaches who set those teams up, recruited and established a culture of buy in, for a first time senior coach to inherit and get credit for the flag.

Hardwick is the only one in recent memory to build the team himself and also get the credit for it.

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV

Did you also count all the first time coaches with experience as an assistant who failed at their first club? There’s more of them than there are first timers with experience as assistants who won flags

Of course there's more of them. 17 of the 18 coaches don't win the flag in any given year, so it goes without saying that there are more of them. But the facts are that 19 of the last 20 premiership coaches are first appointments and 17 of those 19 are from other clubs other than the club who signed them on as coach.

It's utterly ridiculous that we've had 6 coaches since Sheedy and not a single one of those 6 has fitted that successful model.

It's like that famous Seinfeld episode where George is failing at everything, so he decides to do the opposite. Every instinct, every decision Essendon makes seems to be wrong.

I'm not reading anything in this thread. The last thing we need is another yo yo knee jerk supporter sook. The reason we have been perpetually shit, is because the supporters (those with money) throw a tantrum and blow up the place, only for us to start again every couple of years. This is off the back of the players putting in zero effort and sucking. Support the coach and direct the attention to where it's needed - those in the playing group putting in a shit effort.

I want Hird now just for the salt and chaos, our role in everyone else's head is the villain so lets embrace it. It feels like he'd cop a bullet to the ear at the unveiling too, such is the level of vitriol he cops. His ears are huge though, so MEGA it is.
Is it MEGA or MAGA style?

Of course there's more of them. 17 of the 18 coaches don't win the flag in any given year, so it goes without saying that there are more of them. But the facts are that 19 of the last 20 premiership coaches are first appointments and 17 of those 19 are from other clubs other than the club who signed them on as coach.

It's utterly ridiculous that we've had 6 coaches since Sheedy and not a single one of those 6 has fitted that successful model.

It's like that famous Seinfeld episode where George is failing at everything, so he decides to do the opposite. Every instinct, every decision Essendon makes seems to be wrong.
I'd like to point out that not only did you not finish reading my post before replying, you didn't even quote the whole thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Who should be our next coach? [melty]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back