Mega Thread Malthouse, Trigg, the Players, Game plan - The Official 'Where is Carlton At" thread (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Malthouse was their list manager as well as coach?

Thomas was obviously all Malthouse.

Meanwhile the recruiting of Dick, Jones, Tutt, Jaksch/Whiley, Boekhorst, and Fields also have the hallmarks of a coach looking for a quick fix. And those selections were all made in 2014 alone.

The club was in full "wallpaper over the cracks" mode, and I'd be very surprised if Malthouse and his hand-picked lieutenants weren't the driving force behind it.

LOL at people trying to say the media got Mick sacked. The fact is Mick Malthouse got Mick Malthouse sacked. (with some help from a pitifully pea-hearted playing group)

I almost feel in the end that MM wanted to be sacked (and get a pay out) rather than walk on his own volition.. he was never going to walk, but new he was doomed and was baiting,tempting and pushing the board with his comments to make the call.

Mick got what he wanted .. a coaching record an out clause and a pay out bonus
the board got what they wanted ..but at an expense !!
everyone got the result they wanted ...but just cost some more than others

I hope it works out for the Blues...this time
but honestly every time I watched a MM presser or interview.. I thought thank f#@k he doesn't catch the team I support!!

Posted elsewhere but surely Dew won't do it, surely. By all accounts he is the next gun coach, but given who he's knocked back in recent years there must be a succession plan in the works.

He has too much potential to career suicide at Carlton

I almost feel in the end that MM wanted to be sacked (and get a pay out) rather than walk on his own volition.. he was never going to walk, but new he was doomed and was baiting,tempting and pushing the board with his comments to make the call.

I posted similar elsewhere, and I believe you're 100% right.

Malthouse liked to talk about how he'd never walk away from a job, wouldn't quit, wouldn't back down from the challenge. He technically kept his word by getting himself sacked, but the truth is he effectively quit.

He could have knuckled down, tweaked his gameplan, encouraged his team to take the game on, and gone into the bye round with a competitive showing vs Sydney and maybe even a win over Adelaide if he'd motivated his troops properly. It would have been enough to get him to the end of the year and buy him time to prove he's the right man for the job.

In my opinion he didn't back himself to be able to do that, to turn the situation around and reverse the rot. So he ran to the media to get himself sacked.

Thomas was obviously all Malthouse.

Meanwhile the recruiting of Dick, Jones, Tutt, Jaksch/Whiley, Boekhorst, and Fields also have the hallmarks of a coach looking for a quick fix. And those selections were all made in 2014 alone.

The club was in full "wallpaper over the cracks" mode, and I'd be very surprised if Malthouse and his hand-picked lieutenants weren't the driving force behind it.

Definitely agree re Thomas - the rest, I'm not sure; it smacks of someone after a quick fix, but there is every chance that was the executive driving it, not the coach.

It highlights the problem though - if it was the coach, why was he allowed to do it?

Where is the separation that most Clubs employ?

Let me count the ways Malthouse was a mistake

Not sure many coaches would have overpaid for Dale Thomas, for one.
But who else would Mick get to have a kick with before the game if not Daisy?

Mick got what he wanted .. a coaching record an out clause and a pay out bonus
the board got what they wanted ..but at an expense !!
everyone got the result they wanted ...but just cost some more than others

I hope it works out for the Blues...this time
but honestly every time I watched a MM presser or interview.. I thought thank f#@k he doesn't catch the team I support!!

But I'm wondering if he will get the payout. Or have his actions given the club cause to terminate his employment?

In the end Mick was just one piece of the puzzle that is the CFC debacle right now.

In terms of Mick, a kind assessment is that he tried to implement a style that simply didn't suit a limited list. A harsh assessment is that the game has passed him by and he doesn't quite have what it takes strategically at this stage of his career. He made some good moves but his tactics have verged on baffling at times. Either way, I think it's pretty clear at this point that he isn't the man to take us forward, particularly given the state of the list.

That said, there is plently of blame to spread around. The combination of shitty recruiting in the context of mid-table finishes in severely compromised drafts has left our list in dire need of a refresh. (As an aside, we won't be the only ones. I think any team who consistently finished mid table through the compromised draft years is going to get a rude wake up call in the next 3-5 years).

Most importantly, our Board has been a millstone around our neck for years. Archaic, ancient, reactionary, still dreaming of past glories won in a climate completely unrecognisable from modern football. We desperately need someone to come in, clean house and embrace the future. A la Dunstall at Hawthorn. Maybe SOS fits the bill, he has the 'name and weight to do it.....unfortuantely, these ****ers are so embedded in the club and we are so reliant on their largesse to survive that I can't see it happening any time soon. Our best hope is that Mathieson et al have some kind of Road to Damascus moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I posted similar elsewhere, and I believe you're 100% right.

Malthouse liked to talk about how he'd never walk away from a job, wouldn't quit, wouldn't back down from the challenge. He technically kept his word by getting himself sacked, but the truth is he effectively quit.

He could have knuckled down, tweaked his gameplan, encouraged his team to take the game on, and gone into the bye round with a competitive showing vs Sydney and maybe even a win over Adelaide if he'd motivated his troops properly. It would have been enough to get him to the end of the year and buy him time to prove he's the right man for the job.

In my opinion he didn't back himself to be able to do that, to turn the situation around and reverse the rot. So he ran to the media to get himself sacked.

Big flaw in your argument is that you are assuming at the start of the year your new Pres and board wanted MM. I am of the strong belief they didnt. They wanted him gone, so worked to a design that would leave MM no out. As to recruits being brought in, who is to say that the board and club did not instruct MM that they still believed they did not want to rebuild and needed a strong 2015 ? So he was forced to recruit players to fill that mandate. When MM was quiet open with where the list was at, it all turned on him.

Yeah MM made mistakes, like Daisy but some of you need to have a strong hard look at the people who are actually running your club. Trigg since he has arrived has been a major disruptive influence and your president reeks of a Mathison lap dog. Carlton will not change till they tell matthison and co to **** off and even though that would mean the blues would be close to broke, they could at least then re start the club and build new revenue streams that would not direct the path that the blues should follow like Mattherson does.

to suggest Mick is a has been or imply he is rubbish is beyond silly.
I never implied that he was rubbish - he was an exceptional coach. But he was great at sniffing the wind and moving onto the next challenge in order to protect his coaching legacy - had he stayed at the Dogs or WC much longer (both of whom were on the slide) he most likely would have joined the sacked coaches club earlier than 2015. And his resignation hand was forced at Collingwood.

I never implied that he was rubbish - he was an exceptional coach. But he was great at sniffing the wind and moving onto the next challenge in order to protect his coaching legacy - had he stayed at the Dogs or WC much longer (both of whom were on the slide) he most likely would have joined the sacked coaches club earlier than 2015. And his resignation hand was forced at Collingwood.

Well the facts, as I highlighted dont back you up in regards to MM leaving clubs worse when he left then when he first got there. As to the pies, thats common knowledge and time will tell if they got it right. Who is to say if Eddie did not panic because Bucks might have coached another club, might even had been at the tigers from all reports that they would not have already won another flag with MM.

Malthouse has done a complete backflip on his Trigg/Betts story today.
So are you surprised...................this is the AFL!

Yes I'm serious as there is always a hint of the truth, especially when the AFL has to get involved. The wily old coot knew what he was doing.

So are you surprised...................this is the AFL!

Yes I'm serious as there is always a hint of the truth, especially when the AFL has to get involved. The wily old coot knew what he was doing.

He knew what he was doing alright. But the total about face so soon after was pretty cringe worthy.

Egon Zhander recommended Trigg - who are you?

A member of a Club that lost 3 first round and 3 second round draft picks due to Trigg's incompetence and involvement in cheating.

The same club that was a financial powerhouse when Trigg took over, that has now posted repeated significant losses (and tried to deceive the members about the reasons why).

Who are you?

I'd love to know the metrics which they used to decide Trigg was a good choice.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Malthouse, Trigg, the Players, Game plan - The Official 'Where is Carlton At" thread (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back