Mark & Goal of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

So has this been officially announced yet?

Yeah, has it been announced yet? I seriously think Rioli has to get GOTY, beating 4 Richmond players, heavy heavy traffic, and squeezing it thru.

Lolyd for MOTY despite what you all think of him.

Don't the AFL love big pack marks?

It hasn't been announced which is a disgrace. It should be announced on GF Day and stated that if a greater mark/goal is kicked today then it will be the winner.

Waiting until over a week after the final match of the season is pointless.

Mark of the year Gill

simply an awesum mark in crap conditions over head beats lloyds by far who had it easy in the conidtions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree that it should be announced pre-game on Grand Final Day when everyone is watching. This late announcement will spread more through word of mouth than actual news reporting or genuine public care-factor.

I think it's pretty cheap by the AFL or Toyota(whoever is responsible) that the winners dont get to keep the cars! They are only on a 1yr loan!

Finals Goal nominations:

Williams-Dew-Williams-Dew-Williams isn't listed. FFS it's one of the best GF goals in history, yet not the top 3?

Brown with straightforward goal from outside 50m, Mooney snap (great work by Rooke), and Mooney from the pocket.

Why would Gill get it when he will only be playing SANFL next year anyway, it would devalue the award to have it parked out the front of Prospect Oval!!! Got to think of the sponsors here!!!:p

Being serious (and probably biased), IMO Lloydy's grab just had a bit more of a buzz to it, the big pack, at the 'G, taken by a big name player etc... whereas Gill's was a great specky. I think he might suffer a bit from the Morecroft Syndrome - the greatest mark I have seen (along with Sean Smith's hanger on Garry Lyon), but both get overlooked a bit as both were hardly "name" players.

Yet Jezza's poxy ride gets the gong as the best of all time, when in reality it was the best commentry of all time, and a good grab in an era when hangers were hardly the norm.

Again I am noticing a pattern with people that think Gill should win. Lloyd has it in the bag.

Same as the pattern of people who think Lloyd has it in the bag?

Both marks were excellent but neither has it in the bag.

I actually preferred Burton's myself.

I thought goal of the year was Mooney in the first quarter of the GF. Great poise and finesse in the biggest game of the year (not sure what happened after that).

Also thought Fevolas against the Crows from about 60 on the boundary from a set shot was brillilant. No luck at all, just pure football brilliance. Some of the goals from the boundary during the year had quite a bit of luck to them.

FWIW I don't midn the fact that it takes into account finals goals and marks ..

I mean it's pretty obvious Jezza's hanger in the 1970 GF(the mark of the 20th Century in most people's opinion) would have easily won mark of the year, had they had such comps back then ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark & Goal of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back