mark of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me guess... You've never been anywhere... Never got out of the city.... Right?

98% of INDIGENOUS Australians refer to themselves as "blackfellas" so you can stick your politically-correct, ignorant, smarty-pants bullshit where the sun don't shine.

Go out and live. See Australia for yourself. Spend a bit of time with the INDIGENOUS blackfellas. Then come back here and "fix" my posts.

lol unless you have met all indigenous australians and polled them on what they want to be called thats a bull shit statistic

Let me guess... You've never been anywhere... Never got out of the city.... Right?

My issue was more with the 'part' comment as much as the other stuff.

Andrew Walker is Indigenous (Yorta Yorta people) and very proud of it:

306962-carlton-quartet.jpg

While im sure you meant no offence, referring to him as 'part blackfella' isnt really cool bro.

Lets focus on the mark shall we - absolute screamer!

I went along as a neutral supporter with my girlfriends family. Was thinking at half time that it'd be awesome to witness one of the great marks. One that will be played in highlight reels for years to come. Sure enough, it happened about 40m away from me. Crowd went absolutely ballistic! Got louder and louder each time they showed a replay.

The youtube footage definitely doesn't do it justice. Mark of the year, without a doubt (unless something tops it, which would be awesome). Not sure of the fuss over Kraks. It was awesome, but I see marks better than that every Saturday when I play country footy. Pies fans need to get their heads out of the sand.

I saw Nic Nat's mark live, and it was amazing. I saw Brett Burton's 2009 Mark of the Year live and it was unbelievable, but neither of them got a sit like Walker did last night. I'm sure everyone at the 'G last night would agree with me that it seemed like Walker was sitting on Carlisle forever.

People have gotten as high as Walker did last night (Sampi got so high he lost contact with the pack), but the combination of height and the balance it took to sit on Carlisle for that long is what makes that mark so special.

Walker won't win mark of the year for a chest mark, regardless of how good it was.

Naitanui & Krakouer are still the front runners, IMO.
Why not?

Sampi did. Burton did. Smith did.

Have they changed the criteria now?

Great mark. Helped by his opponent not collapsing underneath him so he deserves a bit of credit too ;) Would've had icing on the cake if it was taken in the dukes I reckon. Maybe should've ripped the bandages off around his scon too.

Why are people degrading the quality of Walker's mark because he took it on his chest? There would have been no way he could have taken it above the head, simply because the kick wasn't weighted for that. He got up that high that he simply couldn't have taken the ball any higher.

Confused.

For mine, it's Walker - NicNat - Krak - Petterd.

This is one of the best I've seen. Moorcroft's hanger v bulldogs. One grab in the dukes and practically in mid air when he took it.

[YOUTUBE]9o5_jLYmpfs&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a similar leap a mark taken in the hands will always trump a chest mark.

Walker's leap was not enough to make his mark better than Naitanui/Krakouer, IMO.

Getting 2 knees onto the shoulders is much harder than just the one. One of the most graceful and perfectly executed speccies I've seen and I know others disagree, but I don't think the fact he took it in his hands takes anything away from it. He was perfectly positioned and the ball dropped into his arms some 3-3.5 metres above his head.

As others have said, was so amazing seeing it live. Made my weekend!

I'm spoilt in that I got to see Burton's 2009 MOTY live (that was a ripper) but also Naita's mark this year was right near me (awesome mark).

No bias, but Walker's best for me this year.

It's so great to have those 3 marks this year to showcase how great the game is though!

For a similar leap a mark taken in the hands will always trump a chest mark.

Walker's leap was not enough to make his mark better than Naitanui/Krakouer, IMO.
That is the best sit I've ever seen.

Blues' Walker soars into hall of fame with blissful mark
But if you assess the mark purely as a work of football art, Walker's grab stands tall indeed. This was all leap, Walker utilising his incredible natural spring and his background as a junior high jumper who used to clear 1.95 metres.

He didn't need to use his hands for assistance, he just took off, his knees sitting on the shoulders of the 198-centimetre Jake Carlisle, then getting the all-important second ride, so high Walker took the mark on his chest.

art-353-svTOPTENMARKS-200x0.jpg
Blues' Walker soars into hall of fame with blissful mark

It depends what you look for in moty.

This is the best looking mark since Burton rd 22 2009.

But the degree of difficulty is lower than others this year.

Such as the following for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ16W216FE8&feature=related

1 out specky
or specky over a 200cm+ Ruckman within a pack of 8 + crumbers?

This is one of the best I've seen. Moorcroft's hanger v bulldogs. One grab in the dukes and practically in mid air when he took it.

[youtube]9o5_jLYmpfs&NR=1[/youtube]
That and
[YOUTUBE]RFhU6o8fg4Y[/YOUTUBE]

Are the 2 best I've ever seen on video.

Ottens vs Sydney best I've seen live.

It depends what you look for in moty.

This is the best looking mark since Burton rd 22 2009.

But the degree of difficulty is lower than others this year.

Such as the following for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ16W216FE8&feature=related

1 out specky
or specky over a 200cm+ Ruckman within a pack of 8 + crumbers?

Sure one out is easier to line up with, but as a technical feat the fact Walker got so high makes it much more difficult. Anyone care to name the players in the AFL who could possibly leap that high?

I'm thinking it's Natanui, Walker, Brennan and I don't know who else.

Players take marks over packs by riding into guys backs all the time, getting on the shoulders is hard, getting there for the second ride is even harder. Great mark, the longer it has been since the game the more awesome I think it is as I realize that I still can't get it out of my head. Truly awesome footy moment

That wasnt you in the Essendon jumper in the background rising up with him was it?
Not me, but that bloke had the same reaction as I did.

Even (some of) the hardcore Dons supporters around me begrudgingly acknowledged it.

For true fans of the sport, all you can do is marvel at marks like that.

Sure one out is easier to line up with, but as a technical feat the fact Walker got so high makes it much more difficult. Anyone care to name the players in the AFL who could possibly leap that high?

I'm thinking it's Natanui, Walker, Brennan and I don't know who else.

Players take marks over packs by riding into guys backs all the time, getting on the shoulders is hard, getting there for the second ride is even harder. Great mark, the longer it has been since the game the more awesome I think it is as I realize that I still can't get it out of my head. Truly awesome footy moment
Walkers was definitely MOT so far, no doubt, but you're going a bit far claiming it as "super human":) It was a case of athleticism surely but oppurtunity had a lot to do with it. Not often does an oppo defender make himself the ideal vaulting horse to such an extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back