Maryborough Castlemaine District FL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard an interesting rumour during the week which I'm fairly certain could be fact. Carisbrook are apparently very close to signing Owen Weatherly for this coming season. Would be a massive signing for the Brook. Rumour has it that is back is not the best though and this could hamper him but you'd expect him to wreak havoc out of the goalsquare... exactly what Brook needs.

Would cost them a mint you would think.... considering what Chipper is on..... He would be looking at possible 1k IMO!

Anyone else heard this rumour?

Will believe it when I see it. The Brook may have contacted him and made an offer but so do a heap of other clubs at this time of the year.

If true, you could pencil in 150 goals.

seems like some top players getting around in this league, wondering if anyone could give me an estimate on what it would cost to field a senior side in the MCDFL, something competitive but not high profile.

A good team would not be shelling out any more than $30k. Coach not included. The current talk of Weatherly coming in is nonsense. I don't think any MCDFL club could afford him if they want to pay other players.

There are some teams in this league where the club culture is strong and players do play for the love of it or next to nothing.

Will believe it when I see it. The Brook may have contacted him and made an offer but so do a heap of other clubs at this time of the year.

If true, you could pencil in 150 goals.

150 goals is very realistic for Weatherly.

I think guys like Chadwick could double their asking price if they were to enter the District League with the Weatherly talk.

Ear to the Ground must have his Head in the Sand i reckon. Clearly the good sides would be spending over that. On average the budgets of most MCDFL clubs would be $40k and to be honest i reckon most clubs piss there money up the wall paying average players good coin.

Clever play on words there battler.

I said $30k and coach not included. A decent coach would be around $10k so adding those 2 figures together comes to the figure of $40k. There would have been 2 teams in the final 5 this year that paid around $20k.

I think u will find Avoca was paying the same amount as those two clubs this season also

Pretty close to the mark there dark horse.
If Avoca had stayed in the LPFL, the club would needed to have at least doubled that figure to be competitive and if Avoca switched to the CHFL and wanted to remain competitive the amount would need to be trebled.
If you were trying to be in the same league as clubs like Balranald, Wakool, Wedderburn etc last season (just to mention a few), you would have needed a money tree growing in the back yard.
I hope that the mention of a few big names being attracted to the MCDFL doesn't result in club's blowing their budgets in their endeavours to be competitive.

Fish goes pretty well as a coach and is a good bloke as well. I thought he did a good job at East, and is no slouch when it comes to major league footy.

I'd reckon he will be a handy aquisition to Maryborough, even if it is soley in a coaching capacity. I'll be very interested to see who follows him out to Burra, with Nth City already in the comp they may struggle to attract new players from the Ballarat area.
Fisher was finished 5 years ago as a major league footballer and as a coach is a very poor communicator. My opinion only but ask about him on the Ballarat league thread and check the response.

Hello there can anyone tell me how Matt Smith (Talbot), Luke Treacy (Carisbrook), Nathan Wright (Carisbrook), Patty Jenes (Royal Park), Tom Barker (Avoca) & Carl Moser (Avoca) go? I know its a few but just interested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello there can anyone tell me how Matt Smith (Talbot), Luke Treacy (Carisbrook), Nathan Wright (Carisbrook), Patty Jenes (Royal Park), Tom Barker (Avoca) & Carl Moser (Avoca) go? I know its a few but just interested.

Well done George Double U, you have managed to pick out the softest players in the MCDFL. Total amount of Hard Ball gets would be less the then combined.

All got good skills and play good games against the weaker side but as i said it is common knowledge they are wide recievers!

Well done George Double U, you have managed to pick out the softest players in the MCDFL. Total amount of Hard Ball gets would be less the then combined.

All got good skills and play good games against the weaker side but as i said it is common knowledge they are wide recievers!

I wouldn't put Tom Barker in the soft category, he was Avoca's driving force from the backline early in the year until injury struck. Tom wouldn't back down if a steam train was coming at him.

Thanks for the reply. Cheers.

I wouldn't put Tom Barker in that category, He's half a Lusby (Rod's his uncle) and he rarely takes a backward step. Injury caused a bit of a setback mid season but he will continue to improve as time goes on.
Great clubman - another product of Avoca's successful junior development program.

Poor form weak, I mean leak. All of the young blokes above are very good players and if you did see any of the finals this year would have seen that none of them are soft. The two young Avoca boy's Moser and Barker have a great future. Barker I thought was very impressive for a young kid during the finals, never sherked a contest. Smith is Talbots current B&F, does like the ball wide, but plays to his strengths, nothing wrong there. Wrighty is a very level headed top player who goes back or forward and on the ball and performed when the pressure was on. Treacy was new to the league this year and won Brook's B&F, played the Preliminary with broken ribs and was still more than servicable. I've seen a bit of footy around and would have any of these blokes in my side. Not sure about you though weak.

To all you peanuts out there who are fighting back saying how good all these players are, you obvisiously didn't read what i said. To be honest from what i have seen in the District League these guys go very well... Just soft though, and if George Double U is doing what i think he is doing by asking about them from a recruiting point of view he must want to know all the in's and out's.

If anyone of you MCDFL guru's ever come and watch borough these days you will see blokes like Malone, Jennings, Dell and co. that all play a tough brand of footy and maybe thats what i am comparing these blokes too.

To all you peanuts out there who are fighting back saying how good all these players are, you obvisiously didn't read what i said. To be honest from what i have seen in the District League these guys go very well... Just soft though, and if George Double U is doing what i think he is doing by asking about them from a recruiting point of view he must want to know all the in's and out's.

If anyone of you MCDFL guru's ever come and watch borough these days you will see blokes like Malone, Jennings, Dell and co. that all play a tough brand of footy and maybe thats what i am comparing these blokes too.

Yeah that's right just after some info on these fellas. All uni boys at ballarat so that's where the interest comes from.

Apparently Maryborough have appointed Andrew Tatchell as their seconds coach for next year.

As for the names you have mentioned maybe soft comments are spot on then in my opinion of course:D

How did borough go this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back