Q1 stats

Dogs - 4.1 - Hall 2, Djerrkura, Wood
Dons - 3.4 - Watson, Crameri, Monfries

Stats for dogs

Disposals

Cooney 8
Libba 7
Boyd 6

into the second quater, Dons up by 9 points and the dogs are getting killed out of the centre. Boyd and Cross seem flat, Hurley getting the better of Markovic

Ward nowhere to be seen

Dons are running in numbers and attcking well, Dog's midfielders are not dropping to help out defense. Dons are winning the stoppages and getting the ball out cleanly, now out to a 15pt lead midway through the 2nd term

listening on the radio - seems like the dons have 2 players to our 1 around the ground this 2nd quarter - lets hope the trend changes asap

another goal to the dons ! :(

Our backline seems to be getting killed as well.

Indeed.

Getting flogged now. 9.6 Dons, 5.2 Dogs. This could be a blowout to the Dons.. Markovic (trying) is getting creamed, Stack isnt doing so well.

6 goal qtr to the Dons so far

Absolety no run whatsoever, very little input from the midfield, and losing the stoppages around the ground.

They look very flat.

Playing Murphy across the forward line when things are going bad is a terrible decision. Put him on the backline

it would be nice this quarter to actually get it inside 50

Half time

Dons 66
Dogs 32

Dogs could only get the ball into their FW50 9 times for the entire quarter.

It's the worst line-up I've seen since the Rhode years. It's absolutely no surprise to see us getting spanked. What possible justification was there for no 2nd ruckman today? Hille and Ryder vs Hudson and Williams- go figure!!!

it honestly seemed that there were essendon players everywhere - up forward, in defense, around the ball - it sounded like we were completely outnumbered all over the ground....

players went totally missing that quarter - didnt hear cooney, ward, griffen hardly at all - all i hear was Hill , Watson, Ryder etc

definitly playing 1 ruckman has been a bad decision so far

First half an absolute disgrace.
If they can't turn it around against a side like Essendon, then they will be middle of the road and no better than that.
I'm afraid many of us have overrated a number of our players and we can't use the absence of Lake, Gilbee and Hargrave as an excuse.
7 scoring shots to Essendons 21 in the first half. What a joke. This game was always going to be a challenge in Hird's first game, and we are simply not up to it. Not even competitive.
Why aren't I really all that surprised.
Very angry and without a fightback I think it's curtains for the season, even at this early stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the worst line-up I've seen since the Rhode years. It's absolutely no surprise to see us getting spanked. What possible justification was there for no 2nd ruckman today? Hille and Ryder vs Hudson and Williams- go figure!!!

Lake and Gilbee and perhaps hargrave would be walk up starts, so we are slightly undermanned in their defense- But i agree - where is either Minson or Roughead? Just riduculous from Eade !

I know there is a half to go, but the desire for the contest is waining today , which is inexcusable for round 1!

It shits me to tears that Eade is being outcoached by first game coach Hird also !

If they can't turn it around against a side like Essendon, then they will be middle of the road and no better than that.
I'm afraid many of us have overrated a number of our players and we can't use the absence of Lake, Gilbee and Hargrave as an excuse.
7 scoring shots to Essendons 21 in the first half. What a joke. This game was always going to be a challenge in Hird's first game, and we are simply not up to it. Not even competitive.
Very angry and without a fightback I think it's curtains for the season, even at this early stage.

Go take a cold shower Johnno.

Expect a big lift in 3rd QTR...

Been saying it for years.. Eade is a truly horrible coach. Most overrated coach of any sport ive ever seen. Never won any prize and will he ever win anything? Nope. Nothing. No siree. Bob.

I think you should give Essendon a bit of credit. Not a bottom 8 side (not at the moment anyway)

Makes you realise how important Lake is across the backline.

-Williams looks 1/2 asleep most of the time and getting killed
-Cant play 1 ruck against a tall team on a dry day
-Gia missing as usual.
-Griffen (who) not running the ball
-Cooney's stoppage work has been abysmal
- Murphy wasted on the forward line, needs to be switched to the half back to provide some attacking defensive footy

This may sound like something radical to do, but how about bringing Hall over the the backline?

Sounds like the problem is in our midfield. Until Cooney et al pull their finger out, any radical move is pointless. The other thing I've noticed from over the radio is that we still have no forward pressure, Essendon are just waltzing it out of there (on the rare occassion it gets in our F50). Unless Essendon tire, this game wont end well for us. Unless Eade can fix the lack of forward pressure with all the recruits he got for us specifically to do so, this season wont end well for us, either.

I think you should give Essendon a bit of credit. Not a bottom 8 side (not at the moment anyway)

When your team has finished in the top 4 in the last three seasons, as good as Essendon have been today you dont expect to see your team drop games like this - or at least play as bad as they have

credit to the dons, running hard, running in numbers and exploiting the Dogs weakness to its ability. Thats where Thompson will be valuable as an assistant coach.

Our coaches must be hopeless. We've had the ability to watch the Bombers for a month and analyse their talent and gameplan in the NAB Cup.

Our coaches must be hopeless. We've had the ability to watch the Bombers for a month and analyse their talent and gameplan in the NAB Cup.

Eade is the big problem. Johnno should apply for a coaching position, would do a way better job than this clueless old man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Match Day thread - Dons vs Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back