Review Match Day thread - Dons vs Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

It was on SEN on way home. Crack in the tibia and jaw injured with bloke in ripped jumper on boundary line in last quarter.

Heard the bit about wood. Eade said it may not be a broken leg but a damaged ligament and was talking 4 to 6 weeks. heard nothing on Picken.

Terrible loss and the stats indicate that our players still do not work hard enough I guess this will happen if you kep getting a game in spite of performance.

To thos e that were there could we have a comment onthe youung players, libba, Hill, Stack, DJ and jones. i heard eades press conference and he was pleased with Libba, Hill and Stack. I didn't hear stacks name much but obviously he did what was asked.

must play two rucks next week and maybe Jones is the unlucky tall who has to go.

We could pound Brisbane and GC into the turf by 100 points each and it still wont bring back respect. We keep getting toweled up by mid range to good sides, so maybe if we beat Freo at home things will start looking rosier.

then again, i don't remember the last time freo beat the dogs, and you beat us up pretty easily last season. so i don't think beating us again will prove much :/

Heard the bit about wood. Eade said it may not be a broken leg but a damaged ligament and was talking 4 to 6 weeks. heard nothing on Picken.

Terrible loss and the stats indicate that our players still do not work hard enough I guess this will happen if you kep getting a game in spite of performance.

To thos e that were there could we have a comment onthe youung players, libba, Hill, Stack, DJ and jones. i heard eades press conference and he was pleased with Libba, Hill and Stack. I didn't hear stacks name much but obviously he did what was asked.

must play two rucks next week and maybe Jones is the unlucky tall who has to go.

Libba was very good, especially for a first gamer. I still don't think Stack is up to it and Hill was OK, just OK.

Agree with you about Jones. I think we can only afford one of Grant and Jones and Grant offers more.

I simply cannot understand how anyone can justify Jones getting another game next week. He just isn't up to AFL standard.

The club is more worried about selling tortilla chips than winning premierships, more interested in getting by than excelling. I know that the usual BF apologists will trash this post, and i will be told to bugger off, but i will be here all season and i'll bet my bottom dollar by rd 15 we will be in crisis mode looking for a new coach.

Bugger off

I was gobsmacked that Eade praised Stacks game, he was terrible. He can't play down back simply because he is to short and gets killed overhead. Combine that with his constant stuff ups and down at Willy he should be. Liam Jones is not yet AFL standard, looked completely lost. Was also terrible disappointed in some of Higgins efforts, there are no excuses for him this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm probably not going to be too welcome here, but I just felt compelled to say that the Bulldogs (who I seriously want to win a flag soon) didn't seem to approach the game too seriously..
And yes they probably should have come out breathing fire, but I thought Eade still seemed to be in NAB Cup made with the list he selected..
Essendon were always going to go in with 2 ruckmen - possibly 3 (bellchambers as a sub) - and a really tall forward line to exploit your weakness of tall defenders. But whoever selected the team didn't seem to take that into consideration.

To be fair though, I don't think your defenders did such a bad job. They kept all of our key forwards to under 2 goals, but we had so many midfielders running up into the 50 as well that they were really the difference.

Libratore should be a shoe-in for the rising star though, and one day, maybe even a bronlow meddalist like his old man!

I'm probably not going to be too welcome here, but I just felt compelled to say that the Bulldogs (who I seriously want to win a flag soon) didn't seem to approach the game too seriously..
And yes they probably should have come out breathing fire, but I thought Eade still seemed to be in NAB Cup made with the list he selected..
Essendon were always going to go in with 2 ruckmen - possibly 3 (bellchambers as a sub) - and a really tall forward line to exploit your weakness of tall defenders. But whoever selected the team didn't seem to take that into consideration.

To be fair though, I don't think your defenders did such a bad job. They kept all of our key forwards to under 2 goals, but we had so many midfielders running up into the 50 as well that they were really the difference.

Libratore should be a shoe-in for the rising star though, and one day, maybe even a bronlow meddalist like his old man!

Completely welcome if you come in here to give good discussion, not just gloating. Lucky for you, you did this.
I agree that us going in with 1 ruck was a bad idea. Eade has also acknowledged this.
Your midfield definately won it for you. Ours performed terribly. Which is very disappointing for us Bulldog supporters, as it is pretty much our strongest area.
Our backline performed admirably IMO for the amount of inside 50's that they were faced with.

Lets hope our selection gets a bit better, and we get some key players back in.

Thanks for the appreciation of Libba, he will be a great player for us.
Congratulations on your win.

it gives me no pleasure to say I was right. I thought going in that we got the team wrong at selection. Not that it was totally the reason why we lost. We lost because we got smashed in contested footy by a better team.

But without trying to harp on it, we needed to go in to this game a fraction quicker at the expense of some height. The omission of Minson came from nowhere as it was not even trialed in the practice games. So the one tall player we really needed was the second ruck.

liberatore was really good. But his inclusion compounded the problem of speed. His inclusion needed to come at the expense of one the inside slower mids, otherwise we needed a quick to come in.

Liam Jones was not in any sort of form in the practice matches and had no impact on the game yesterday his spot should have been filled by a quick mid. he should have been subed instead of Djerrkurra (unless he was injured) another clanger by the MC.

Anyway I said all this before the game on here...I'm a bit frustrated with the MC.

Other than selection and without wanting to get carried away with one loss by a side that was missing a bit of quality from the defense compounded by some strange selection decisions. I thought our skills were poor, led by Boyd again who ran at something like 50%. We didn't get a lot from a lot...the midfield was very poor.

On the up side...Josh Hill was very good. Tommy Williams was solid. Markovic also handled himself well in his first game and at least we know he's capable. Liberatore is already a player. Grant was good and Bob Murphy really tried to create some run and although he has some work to do, I thought Stacks first game as defender was pretty good and he should hold his spot.

We need a big lift from Eade and the boys in the box and then the team needs to work a lot harder. With some luck Lake might be back and we might have put to rest this stupid idea of one ruckman!

It is only round 1, but I hope and expect that Rocket put's his money where his mouth is and drops a big name midfielder. We need to make a statement to the team that this lack of effort is not acceptable.

I thought our fringe players at least had a crack today, it is our big names that should hang their heads.

It is only round 1, but I hope and expect that Rocket put's his money where his mouth is and drops a big name midfielder. We need to make a statement to the team that this lack of effort is not acceptable.

I thought our fringe players at least had a crack today, it is our big names that should hang their heads.

Totally agree with this point Dogs_r_barking. :thumbsu:

Libba and Grant Good. Fair effort from Stack, Hill and Markovic. Senior players were beaten badly. Our midfield class should have absolutely dominated. Embarassing to watch. Coach was also outclassed.

Lots of missed tackles and multiple blokes going up and not holding their feet. This is basic footy.

Much and all as it pains me to say I don't think Jones is up to AFL standard yet. Hopefully he can improve with some time at Willy. Please don't pick him again at CHF. We can't afford to give away a key position contest every game.

On the up side...Josh Hill was very good. Tommy Williams was solid. Markovic also handled himself well in his first game and at least we know he's capable. Liberatore is already a player. Grant was good and Bob Murphy really tried to create some run and although he has some work to do, I thought Stacks first game as defender was pretty good and he should hold his spot.

We need a big lift from Eade and the boys in the box and then the team needs to work a lot harder. With some luck Lake might be back and we might have put to rest this stupid idea of one ruckman!

Agree with almost all of what you posted Temple. I do disagree with the point on Tommy. I think he had about 8 kicked on him.

This was a function of;
1. So many inside 50's it wasn't funny.
2. No pressure from midfield (GRRRR :mad:) so those inside 50's were high quality.
3. He was the name backman so got shifted onto the danger man of the time.
4. He looked lost and just isn't up to the job of taking the gun forward.

By no means am I suggesting that we lost the game as a result of Tom or even that he was our worst (he wasn't)...I just wouldn't call his game "solid". He was one of those many senior players who were soundly beaten by their opponent(s). Unlike the midfield however his loss was a little more glaring as his opponents were scoring comfortably.

Agree with almost all of what you posted Temple. I do disagree with the point on Tommy. I think he had about 8 kicked on him.

This was a function of;
1. So many inside 50's it wasn't funny.
2. No pressure from midfield (GRRRR :mad:) so those inside 50's were high quality.
3. He was the name backman so got shifted onto the danger man of the time.
4. He looked lost and just isn't up to the job of taking the gun forward.

By no means am I suggesting that we lost the game as a result of Tom or even that he was our worst (he wasn't)...I just wouldn't call his game "solid". He was one of those many senior players who were soundly beaten by their opponent(s). Unlike the midfield however his loss was a little more glaring as his opponents were scoring comfortably.

Yes I know what you are saying, but with the supply they got in there even Lake would have struggled not to have goals kicked against him. I actually thought Tom when given a 50/50 chance was very good and looked very poised with the ball in hand. Dale Morris was the one who panicked a lot on the day I thought.

Barry Hall: 5 possessions, 2 goals, 4 frees against(4 clangers), 0 tackles, 1 assist, 2 score involvements.

Liam Jones: 7 possessions, 0 goals, 0 frees against(2clangers), 1 tackle, 2 assists, 3 score involvements.

Just a couple of points on the above.

I just wanted to show that Jones has copped a little from people suggesting he is not up to it yet which is fair enough. But he was not a great deal worse than Baz and in some areas better, yet no mention of how Baz played???????

Also 1 tackle between our two key forwards for the whole match. J Grant 0 tackles, Higgins 1 tackle Gia 3 tackles. Djerrkura 0 tackles.

So that is 5 tackles in total from 6 forward line players!!!!!!!!:confused:

Barry Hall: 5 possessions, 2 goals, 4 frees against(4 clangers), 0 tackles, 1 assist, 2 score involvements.

Liam Jones: 7 possessions, 0 goals, 0 frees against(2clangers), 1 tackle, 2 assists, 3 score involvements.

Just a couple of points on the above.

I just wanted to show that Jones has copped a little from people suggesting he is not up to it yet which is fair enough. But he was not a great deal worse than Baz and in some areas better, yet no mention of how Baz played???????

Also 1 tackle between our two key forwards for the whole match. J Grant 0 tackles, Higgins 1 tackle Gia 3 tackles. Djerrkura 0 tackles.

So that is 5 tackles in total from 6 forward line players!!!!!!!!:confused:

Probably because Baz kicked 2 (should have had 3 but for a poor umpiring decision...push in the back given that wasn't). Baz was always dangerous up forward. With respect to Jones....he wasn't.

Agree that tackle pressure was not up to it. Not sure how they can fix it other then some serious effort and aggression at the ball carrier. But Geez if you can't muster it up in round 1 are you ever going to deliver it.

Can anyone tell me who it was who lifted & dumped Heath Hocking in the 3rd or 4th quarter? Happened on the right-hand forward side of the wing, looking towards the "Lloyd" end. Huge tackle. Went with the momentum, up then down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Match Day thread - Dons vs Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back