Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man utd, miami dolphins
Our Forward Line.

Heath Grundy to go on Chris Dawes. both at 193cms Grundy will prefer playing Deep at FF.

Lewis Roberts-Thompson to go on Travis Cloke. both at 186 cms. Lewis has the bigger body over Grundy and will run up the ground with Travis.
Question on Lewis' aerobic fitness to run all day with Cloke.

Nicholas Smith (dont know much about him) but at 184cm and 74 kg he could be the most likely option for Brad Dick.

Sharrod Wellingham to go Teagh Kennelly. This could be a defensive forward tactic knowing that Wellingham has the legs to match Kennelly

OR Kennelly will move onto Didak.

Midfield.

How good would it be if Swan lines up on Kirk, would be a great contest. Having said that i reckon Kirk will match up on Pendlebury.

Won't see many match-ups in the midfield as it will be a fast flowing game.

Our Backline.

Presti to go on Bradshaw- an obvious one, to great oldies. Reckon Presti has the strength to beat Bradshaw coming back from injury so a chance that he isn't 100% match fit.

Harry O HAS TO go on Goodes. Harry has had some big challenges this year and has been up and down on them. But part of Harry's great attributes is his man on man continuing body pressure. And Goodes hasn't done well up to his standard this year cos of this.

Leigh Brown to go on Jessie White. Both big boys, Jessie is 196cm and don't think Reid can go on him. Leigh should do what he does best which is piss off the opposition with his great skills.

I look forward to your Input.

Football God.

Smith is one of the most underrated players in the comp, tags classy opponents every week and rarely gets beaten (kept Stephen Hill to 5 touches and also Hodge very quiet). I would think he would go to Didak, Shaw or Pendlebury.

• More likely to be Grundy-Cloke and LRT-Dawes. Grundy has played on the likes of Pav, Brown, Riewoldt traditional CHFs and won't be troubled by following him up the ground.
  • Smith did well on Didak last time and has kept some big names very quiet. e.g. Hodge, Power, Giansiracusa, Hill, Pearce.
  • Leigh Brown being your relief ruckman, I can't see him playing in defence. Surely Reid will have to go onto White. Agree with the other 2 defensive key matchups.
  • Some possible midfield matchups: Jude against Ball - 2 hard nuts going at it. Johnson to tag McVeigh, and Jack might end up running with Swan.
  • Rohan is in for Tadhg, might see him annoy the hell out of Heath.

You'd think Swans would mix it up a bit because what they have done in the past hasnt' worked.

I think Grundy will go to Cloke because he is the more agile defender.

LRT to Dawes because he can match him physically.

Nick Smith to Davis

McGlynn to Didak

Rhyce Shaw to Swan

Kirk to Pendlebury

Jack to Thomas ( I reckon Dale will get the tightest tag)

Harry to Goodes

Presti to Bradshaw

Mattner on Dick

Lockyer on Malceski in a forward tag.

Ball head to head v Bolton

Goldsack on O'Keefe when forward, otherwise ROK will run loose in the middle against Wellingham.

I rekon this year it will be tough against the swans becuase we have changed our game plan and its more of st killda style as in zoning and the swans are good at that as well. I think Mcglyn has to go to Didak, if he shuts him down it will be very tough for us.

The big ones are obviously:

Presti v Bradshaw.

White v Reid.

Goodes v Goldsack (many have suggested Harry but I'm not entirely sure about Harry running around in the midfield, whereas the Sack can IMO).

Kirk v Pendlebury. (Others have suggested it will be Swanny but he just doesn't play that sort of role- whereas Pendles does).

Bolton v Ball.

McGlynn v Didak (could work in Coll's favour, particularly if Dids plays HFF as this will deprive the Swans of McGlynn's threat forward of centre where he has been able to get out all on his own alot this season).

Jack v Davis (happened last time, not so sure it will happen again, particularly as Davis has been played forward all season. Will deprive Jack of game time in the midfield so it is likely it won't happen).

Mumford v Jolly

Grundy v Cloke (many have suggested LRT but Grundy has been their best performed tall defender at CHB and he will get first crack at Cloke).

LRT v Dawes

The only player I cannot find a match-up for is Swan. Don't really know who will run with him (if any). Perhaps head-to-head with ROK.

You sure it wasn't bradshaw not goodes. No Idea why Goodes would be out, on our board their is a rumour Braddles is not going to make it and alot reckon young Jetstar will come in.

I don't have a complete recollection but didn't BMac (Mcglynn) play on Didak when he was at the Hawks and completly destroy him while getting alot of possenions himself last year? Are you worried this might happen again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't have a complete recollection but didn't BMac (Mcglynn) play on Didak when he was at the Hawks and completly destroy him while getting alot of possenions himself last year? Are you worried this might happen again?

Destroy's a strong word. Held Didak to very few possessions but didn't get much of it himself. From the match-up perspective McGlynn won out though. Dids was ineffective that night.

I'd be shocked if he doesn't get the Dids match-up.

If dids gets Mcglynn should play him one out in goal square,i think he would do well against him....
Nah need Dids more up the ground in the middle i reckon.

FFS if MM was smart they would leave Cloke 1 on 1 in the goal square.
But teams figure us out and they just flood, which is what Sydney will do. Flood.

If dids gets Mcglynn should play him one out in goal square,i think he would do well against him....

If Didak is getting towelled in the middle I would definitely throw Didak forward. IIRC this didn't happen against the Hawks and it frustrated the hell outta me.

It will be won from midfield. With Kennelly out they are too "one man" focussed in the back half which will be predictable..

If we can shut down O'keefe when he plays in there we should carry this one home.. I dare say:

Swan, Ball, Jolly, Pendlebury, Thomas, Wellingham > Mumford, Kirk, Jack, Hannebury, Bolton, McVeigh

Should be tough and hard at it football regardless. Just think we have more polish.

It will be won from midfield. With Kennelly out they are too "one man" focussed in the back half which will be predictable..

If we can shut down O'keefe when he plays in there we should carry this one home.. I dare say:

Swan, Ball, Jolly, Pendlebury, Thomas, Wellingham > Mumford, Kirk, Jack, Hannebury, Bolton, McVeigh

Should be tough and hard at it football regardless. Just think we have more polish.
Maybe because 6>5?:p

But in reality our midfield will look something like this:
Mumford - Kirk - Bolton
McVeigh - ROK - Jack

with Hannebery, Goodes, Smith and Rohan as rotations.

Add Didak to that and possibly Davis at times. MM started him in the centre in one quarter against Melbourne and with Dick rising to the occasion and Lockyer/Beams/Sidey as options, I think Davis will build more into this role as the year progresses. Mick wants him in his best form come finals like he was in 2008. He played that whole year as a forward and when Shaw and Dids were suspended, he moved into the midfield still fresh and dominated (our best player). He was just about our best player early last season as well when in the midfield. He can be a superstar of the competition when fresh but it a waste of space otherwise, we just need to time his run a little better.

Its a big call to put Reid on Goodes. He's such an all round player Goodes. I think Harry O suits our back set-up better though. Reid will be better at maxwell's 3rd up and Harry has the athletisism to run with goodes all day. I think that will be the right call.. Fortunately we have tthe option to switch if need be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Match Ups Vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back