Mathew Stokes (Confirms he WON'T ask for a trade)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Mathew Stokes

Gamble's agility and relatively unique height and athleticism (though Stokes does play tall for his height) are worth persevering with. He could be handy as a tall, running backman if given the chance (ie. as per the Mackie conversion). Has he ever been tried in this role in the VFL ?
re: Gamble

184cm and 83kg?

he is not that tall. He plays taller.

Yep. Not sure what your point is though.
unique height and athleticism? that was my response.

And I think Brett Burton is about the same height and weight, and is far more athletic. Gamble is not uniquely athletic. There are probably two players on every team with such a wiry physique and with a degree of athleticism. Gamble is not unique.

"Mathew stokes says it's a stupid question to ask if he is leavong geelong cos he loves the club too much."

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

"Mathew stokes says it's a stupid question to ask if he is leavong geelong cos he loves the club too much."

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Geelong DID show faith to draft him as a 21 year old when he thought his career was stalled in the SANFL, and hooked him up with that apprenticeship/job thingy at the Werribee Zoo to boot. Makes sense that he would love being with us.

Always liked him. Coaches like him, players like him and fans like him.. He'll stay! Still has at least 6 good years left in him there's absolutely no point trading him for a 2nd rounder.

I struggle to comprehend how someone who watches the Cats on weekly basis (and keeps up with the VFL team) could honestly rate Gamble ahead of Stokes.

Stokes' 2007 season was simply awesome. He has suffered injuries and a form slump, but he has been far from terrible. I expect him to bounce back in 2010. He'll be hungry, up his pressure again and really want to win another flag.

Gamble on the other hand just looks laconic. I don't doubt his talent, but you have to have some form of a work ethic. Gamble has displayed nothing of the sort in his time at Geelong. Every contest he has had in the AFL has been trying to take mark of the year, whilst not even getting off the ground an giving away a blatant freekick for in the back.

It is a no brainer for mine.

Stokes Winner

I have to say Matthew Stokes has shown some real class throughout the Grand Final and following days. He celebrated with his team mates, even donned the Half Cat outfit to be part of the celebrations. Last night at the best and fairest he said that people who asked him if he would leave the club are stupid as he loves Geelong FC and his team mates. He was a deserved winner last night and my respect for him grown.
Beats sulking around in sunglasses. ( Sorry it had to be said)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

struggle away...my original point was not that we should choose Gamble over Stokes, just that Gamble may have untapped talent as a backman... as we discovered with Mackie who is a similar type.

id rather gamble over stokes too, stokes cant offer anything to our team that we don't already have, Gamble can, he just needs to apply himself :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mathew Stokes (Confirms he WON'T ask for a trade)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back