News Matt Clarke heads West. Replaced by Chris Toce

Remove this Banner Ad

What do we think of these candidates??

I am not a fan of the Port list management because I think they got ahead of themselves but ut we are not sure who makes the decisions at times
They got quite a competitive list without looking a genuine flag chance I think ther work has been quite good , I’d be happy with any of these guys by sounds of it

They got quite a competitive list without looking a genuine flag chance I think ther work has been quite good , I’d be happy with any of these guys by sounds of it

Port cannot win because they are not good enough. That does not mean it is the recruiters fault. A few trades indicated a lack of patience for me. St Kilda have done the same.. doing trades instead of drafting. Whose fault is this??

It is hard to tell, who makes the decisions on what in team efforts I suppose.

I assume the Richmond crew have better intel and network to source the better credentials, Maybe the ex-Saints guy is linked to better picks on the surface but Richmond would probably have a better idea who was calling the shots about what

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Higgins, Dow, trading our 1st rd to Geesook, the Taranto and Hopper fiasco and then Brown instead of Van Rooyen have all been woeful decisions. Greg Miller and Greg Beck couldn’t have done that bad.
We’ve drafted slow poorly skilled midfielders since the Anthony Banick days. Well before Clarke arrived . It reeks of fine eyes still having the reigns.

Clarke is awful. Very glad he's gone. Couldn't recruit a genuine midfielder if his life depended on it. Obsessed with flankers who aren't even rated in their draft year. Every year there was 2-3 WTF selections that never worked out.

They couldn't even dig up highlights for bunch of the players he picked on these draft shows because they were such wild out there selections.

What's even more crazy is people on this board praise him. His track record is shocking

Clarke is awful. Very glad he's gone. Couldn't recruit a genuine midfielder if his life depended on it. Obsessed with flankers who aren't even rated in their draft year. Every year there was 2-3 WTF selections that never worked out.

They couldn't even dig up highlights for bunch of the players he picked on these draft shows because they were such wild out there selections.

What's even more crazy is people on this board praise him. His track record is shocking
And yet we still managed to win 3 premierships under his and Blair’s stewardship

And yet we still managed to win 3 premierships under his and Blair’s stewardship

Off the back of majority of players not selected by Clarke and the players Blair head hunted and traded for. He was elevated to lead recruiter in 2017. Look at the results since then.

He's that poor performing employee at your successful company you wonder how they still have a job. Everyone else drags him along despite his incompetence

Last edited:
Didn’t realize the recruiting manager was in charge of developing players once they were drafted.

He barely touched the pill for Oakley and his stats were so poor for Vic Metro he was hidden in the fwd line and couldn't find it there either. His stats never warranted 1st round selection. He was only drafted so we could have a trendy tall mid like Bont or Cripps. Personally I'd rather one who can actually find the ball and wasn't soft as butter.

After seeing the players he got St Kilda the last couple of years I am not surprised. Guys like Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, Owen's & Windhager.
Toce is a gun, very sad we let him go, even if it was to get Dalrympal.

Responsable for
Wilkie, Sharman, Hayes
NWM (Owens and Windhager were basically out of his control)
Phillapou.

He's a very good recruiter.

He barely touched the pill for Oakley and his stats were so poor for Vic Metro he was hidden in the fwd line and couldn't find it there either. His stats never warranted 1st round selection. He was only drafted so we could have a trendy tall mid like Bont or Cripps. Personally I'd rather one who can actually find the ball and wasn't soft as butter.

And yet was seen as a first round pick in almost - if not - all mock drafts, including Cal Twomey who had him going seven places higher than what we took him.

Per Twomey: The midfielder is something of an 'upside' pick – he's shown some really exciting glimpses, including in the finals series for the Oakleigh Chargers, but hasn't been a huge ball-winner at TAC Cup level. He's a tall midfielder who is best at digging out the ball and feeding it off.

So was always seen as a high reward pick based on upside and not the stats. Was seen to go higher than what he was taken. The no-risk, high reward midfielders aren’t ever going to be available at pick 20 in a draft. They don’t always work out, doesn’t mean they aren’t worth a swing. If you’re going to make selections purely based on stats Jack Graham would have been a top 10 pick.

Don’t think anyone would say Clarke’s tenure is flawless by any stretch, but to suggest that he solely responsible for how a players career turns out after he’s selected is pure crap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back