News Matt Clarke heads West. Replaced by Chris Toce

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on the senior list I've got Grimes and Prestia likely retiring and Ralphsmith, Miller and MRJ almost certainly delisted. Then you've got one or more of Graham, Baker and Dusty a possibility to leave as FAs, Pickett a chance to be in jail and at least one of our rookies likely to have a line put through them by the end of the season + the possibility of 1-2 mid-season picks if we get injuries.

If we have a down year as expected, then I've got no doubt Yze will want to clear the decks a bit to bring in the next generation.
Prestia won't be retiring. Grimes is the only certainty to be gone. Plus probably 2-3 more delistings/trades. If we cut MRJ I reckon we'd re-rookie him. Plus I expect we'll trade or free agent in a player or two.

4 max in the draft IMO.

Prestia won't be retiring. Grimes is the only certainty to be gone. Plus probably 2-3 more delistings/trades. If we cut MRJ I reckon we'd re-rookie him. Plus I expect we'll trade or free agent in a player or two.

4 max in the draft IMO.
If Prestia doesn't retire I probably wouldn't be offering him another deal anyway. Would just get in the way of the development of Dow/Sonsie/McAuliffe and any mids we draft.

Personally I think MRJ has had enough chances and should be cut unless he can turn things around significantly.

If Prestia doesn't retire I probably wouldn't be offering him another deal anyway. Would just get in the way of the development of Dow/Sonsie/McAuliffe and any mids we draft.

Personally I think MRJ has had enough chances and should be cut unless he can turn things around significantly.
Jumping the gun with Prestia imo
Let’s actually see how his season looks before stamping his papers

He played 20 games last year and 19 the year before so no reason to expect he won’t play similar this year
That alone would be enough to give him another 2 years

Jumping the gun with Prestia imo
Let’s actually see how his season looks before stamping his papers

He played 20 games last year and 19 the year before so no reason to expect he won’t play similar this year
That alone would be enough to give him another 2 years
It's just an age thing — not really a reflection on Prestia specifically. I don't think our list is looking great atm, and I want games pumped into kids.

I'd also be happy to see blokes like Grimes, McIntosh and Pickett phased out as we have kids sitting behind them too.

If we're not able to contend for the flag then we should be focused on building a team that can.

It's just an age thing — not really a reflection on Prestia specifically. I don't think our list is looking great atm, and I want games pumped into kids.

I'd also be happy to see blokes like Grimes, McIntosh and Pickett phased out as we have kids sitting behind them too.

If we're not able to contend for the flag then we should be focused on building a team that can.
He's 31, not 35. He'll get another contract offer without doubt. If he ends up being depth, then that's great depth.

He's 31, not 35. He'll get another contract offer without doubt. If he ends up being depth, then that's great depth.
Yeah but if we're 2–3 years off contending again, why not give those games to a kid?

In hindsight it looks as if we kept Jack and Cotch a year too long.

I agree to an extent but don’t think it’s that cut and dry either

If the kids aren’t ready no point just playing them for the sake of it either and a lot of value can also be obtained by having quality experience on field with the kids as well helping them develop at the same time

If we cut to much it’s very easy to destroy the entire teams confidence and turn into a club that will be stuck down the bottom

Would Young be the player he is without Tarrant and Grimes? With the former not playing any games last year but I’m sure he was absolutely vital to Young’s rapid improvement

And the Grimes example I don’t actually think we have a suitable Grimes replacement right now as far as defenders go sure we have some kids ready to step up but not in the same position Grimes occupies as a Small/medium defensive stopper

Just on the senior list I've got Grimes and Prestia likely retiring and Ralphsmith, Miller and MRJ almost certainly delisted. Then you've got one or more of Graham, Baker and Dusty a possibility to leave as FAs, Pickett a chance to be in jail and at least one of our rookies likely to have a line put through them by the end of the season + the possibility of 1-2 mid-season picks if we get injuries.

If we have a down year as expected, then I've got no doubt Yze will want to clear the decks a bit to bring in the next generation.
Prestia & Grimes being in the 22 probs saves them. Lynch is a watch.

Yze's preseason selection policy seems to be priority to senior players. List management seems to be to lose players we don't /can't match offers on.

Graham to SA was 2 years ago.
Dusty leave : doubt it. Despite McLure's annual effort.
Baker I doubt.

MRJ will be back in the 22 soon.

Miller OK depth.

Pickett if guilty, sure

Ryan, Ross, Cumbo, Coulthard, Clarke, Green, Smith, Brown first in line IMO.

I look at Roos and Hawks delisting senior players on mass just not the right strategy.

I would rather bring in as many free agents as I could, our recruiting formula is weird.

Yeah but if we're 2–3 years off contending again, why not give those games to a kid?

In hindsight it looks as if we kept Jack and Cotch a year too long.
No Lynch meant thank god for Jack. Cotchin not too bad either. He ended being good injury cover.

I don't like giving ageing players 2 year contacts. Just seems to weigh the balance of the list to old players.

Trigger clauses are a killer.

Because our midfield depth is appalling, we need more mids, not less. We won't want to bottom out while we still have plenty of quality older guys.
I look at it the opposite way. I want us to take the hurt and rebuild a bit now so that the likes of Taranto and Bolton are still in their prime when we're ready to go again.

If he keep playing older blokes we're robbing kids of critical development time.

Prestia & Grimes being in the 22 probs saves them. Lynch is a watch.

Yze's preseason selection policy seems to be priority to senior players. List management seems to be to lose players we don't /can't match offers on.

Graham to SA was 2 years ago.
Dusty leave : doubt it. Despite McLure's annual effort.
Baker I doubt.

MRJ will be back in the 22 soon.

Miller OK depth.

Pickett if guilty, sure

Ryan, Ross, Cumbo, Coulthard, Clarke, Green, Smith, Brown first in line IMO.

I look at Roos and Hawks delisting senior players on mass just not the right strategy.

I would rather bring in as many free agents as I could, our recruiting formula is weird.
It's definitely been the right strategy for the Hawks and they arguably did it too late.

Spent too much time thinking they could still compete and lost years of development time.

Recently every new coach has got improvement. EFC 15 to 11; GWS 16 to 7; StK 10 to 6; CFC 17 to Flag over 3 years.

He's been appointed to improve the club now.

I haven't liked his preseason teams but what would I know... Experience over youth.

A tough ground zero into round 1 but then we are at the G for a month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's definitely been the right strategy for the Hawks and they arguably did it too late.

Spent too much time thinking they could still compete and lost years of development time.
Fine line between development time and getting banged around time in my coaching Book!
Need to be careful cutting players out with the old scalpel...

Fine line between development time and getting banged around time in my coaching Book!
Need to be careful cutting players out with the old scalpel...
I agree, but we've got Pickett and McIntosh keeping guys like Banks and Clarke out. Grimes keeping the likes of Brown, Trezise and Bauer out. Prestia keeping Ross, Sonsie and McAuliffe out.

All of these guys are physically ready to play AFL footy.

I agree, but we've got Pickett and McIntosh keeping guys like Banks and Clarke out. Grimes keeping the likes of Brown, Trezise and Bauer out. Prestia keeping Ross, Sonsie and McAuliffe out.

That lot should be playing games or else we're going backwards and not rejuvenating the list.

Then they need to dominate the lower level VFL and knock down the door to make the coaches select them over the oldie's
pointless playing them in the seniors if they are not showing they are above VFL and are AFL ready.

If they want their spots they need to take it not be given it just because of age

Then they need to dominate the lower level VFL and knock down the door to make the coaches select them over the oldie's
pointless playing them in the seniors if they are not showing they are above VFL and are AFL ready.

If they want their spots they need to take it not be given it just because of age
Exactly right Gun. If they are performing at a better level than the incumbent’s, they should be selected but to just pick them because they are younger and need game time is ridiculous. You need to earn your place in the side imo.

Sams landsberger has said again that he expects Blair Hartley to look externally to replace Matt Clarke, with the three likely candidates being Adam Sheppard (Collingwood), Chris Toce (Ex St kilda) and Anthony Parkin (Port Adelaide)

Sams landsberger has said again that he expects Blair Hartley to look externally to replace Matt Clarke, with the three likely candidates being Adam Sheppard (Collingwood), Chris Toce (Ex St kilda) and Anthony Parkin (Port Adelaide)
My mate who is a recruiter reckons Toce is a good chance of landing it.

My mate who is a recruiter reckons Toce is a good chance of landing it.
Yeh he has drafted pretty well recently for st kilda, and selected players that would fit the richmond mould ( St Kilda - Every Draft Pick Ever - Draftguru ).

Seems like Lyon is running St Kilda these days, reporting straight to the president, getting moved on etc don't think his exit is performance related

Yeh he has drafted pretty well recently for st kilda, and selected players that would fit the richmond mould ( St Kilda - Every Draft Pick Ever - Draftguru ).

Seems like Lyon is running St Kilda these days, reporting straight to the president, getting moved on etc don't think his exit is performance related
Saints fans were surprised when he was let go. They have drafted really well the last few years.

What do we think of these candidates??

I am not a fan of the Port list management because I think they got ahead of themselves but ut we are not sure who makes the decisions at times

Remove this Banner Ad

Back