Traded Matt Rosa [traded to Gold Coast for #31]

Remove this Banner Ad

I did find it a little odd that the only direct quote from Vozzo about it was "It came as a surprise to us that Matt made that request" as if to intimate that he's only heard about it from others but yeah who knows. Just passing on what I heard from what I believe to be a good source. If it's wrong I'm happy to wear it.
You missed by intended commentary on the media

Tigers have identified a big bodied inside mid as a need. He's listed as 191cm and 84kg, so tall enough, maybe another few kilos would be good to add to the frame though. How would he compare to Jacob Townsend in the same role who we are linked with for a third rounder?

Mostly outside. But he's pretty tough. Townsend would be cheaper and maybe a better option.

Interesting to see what clubs put up an offer for Rosa. Was hinted earlier today that he wants to join Don Pyke at Adelaide but I think he'll end up going to a Victorian club.

His trade value in my opinion isn't that great, would have diminished considerably of recent years and he arguably has a maximum of only 2 contract renewals to go before retiring (based on 2 year contracts). When you consider we got a 25 year old contracted player in Redden for pick 17, I think the best we get for Rosa is a second round pick, worst case is he gets through to the Pre Season draft (chance to happen) and we lose a 150 game player for nothing

My hope was that we could offload Rosa and pick 37 to Hawthorn for Anderson but that's unlikely to happen.

Interesting to see what clubs put up an offer for Rosa. Was hinted earlier today that he wants to join Don Pyke at Adelaide but I think he'll end up going to a Victorian club.

His trade value in my opinion isn't that great, would have diminished considerably of recent years and he arguably has a maximum of only 2 contract renewals to go before retiring (based on 2 year contracts). When you consider we got a 25 year old contracted player in Redden for pick 17, I think the best we get for Rosa is a second round pick, worst case is he gets through to the Pre Season draft (chance to happen) and we lose a 150 game player for nothing

My hope was that we could offload Rosa and pick 37 to Hawthorn for Anderson but that's unlikely to happen.
Can't happen, he's contracted.

Very true. Pay up for Rosa you campaigners, What do you think we get for him greenick?
Best case second rounder. Could be 3rd though. If that's the deal I hope we just keep him. Even if we lost him for nothing next year, I think the depth would be too beneficial compared to a 3rd round pick we would only use if we package it with others to get higher in the second round.

Needs to be for a player or to upgrade one of our late second rounders to start of second round or we should just keep him for the last year of his contract. Worth more to us in the best 22 / on the edge of it when we are trying for a flag than a late pick.

if we're done dealing (ie. anderson off to north?) i'd be asking for a second rounder in next year's draft.

3 picks beyond 30 in a poor draft (this year) does nothing for us. unlikely we can package 2 or 3 of those for any significant upgrade alone.
rosa plus 37 for a pick somewhere between 25-30 perhaps? great value pickup for the right team.

rosa is a good enough player, one of my favourites, but i think if he really wants out we can cover the loss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are really overrating Rosa in this thread.
How so? By saying he's definite best 25?

My point is that we have topped up with experienced players in Redden and Jetta, with the view we're close enough to have a crack at a flag. But it's one step forward, one step back if experience goes out the door in equal measure to the experience coming in.

Will either stay or be traded for a 3rd or 4th round pick.
Yeah. And losing him for that kind of return would be a shitty outcome for us.

How is that overrating Rosa?

What better could we have gotten? Geelong had traded all decent assets away with Hendersen and Danger.
They got pick 50 back in the Dangerfield trade and still have their existing third-rounder. And it now looks like they'll be getting Brisbane's third-rounder in return for Jansen and Walker.

If we had got two of those picks and were able to send them over to the Swans or Brisbane in return for an upgraded pick, wouldn't that be better than 37 on its own?

They got pick 50 back in the Dangerfield trade and still have their existing third-rounder. And it now looks like they'll be getting Brisbane's third-rounder in return for Jansen and Walker.

If we had got two of those picks and were able to send them over to the Swans or Brisbane in return for an upgraded pick, wouldn't that be better than 37 on its own?

Guess so

Whosha has a high opinion of Rosa. Haven't watched this year's version of Rosa, but when he wasn't injured in previous year, he was the Gaff-like player.. the one that provided good long delivery into the forward line.. Which is a value-type player at ANY club. I reckon his timing of injures have led to others taking their chance to taking his spot.. anyway

I think Essendon will try to get him..

Everyone's focused on whether he's in our best 22, 25 etc. It's more relevant where he sits within the midfield group. If he's second or third back up to outside mids then you only need to consider injuries next year and he's bound to get games.

I'd keep him until next year when his contract ends. It's up to him to back himself to get more game time.

Unless someone is in love with him enough to cough up an early second round pick, but he's not worth that.

Whosha has a high opinion of Rosa. Haven't watched this year's version of Rosa, but when he wasn't injured in previous year, he was the Gaff-like player.. the one that provided good long delivery into the forward line..
Questionable.

Neither of those guys have great penetration on their kicking and the knock on Rosa for a long time was that he simply didn't do enough damage by foot, especially when he so often found himself with time and space by virtue of his running capacity. Prone to helicopters.

I'd be annoyed to lose Rosa but I probably wouldn't agree with that characterisation.

Questionable.

Neither of those guys have great penetration on their kicking and the knock on Rosa for a long time was that he simply didn't do enough damage by foot, especially when he so often found himself with time and space by virtue of his running capacity. Prone to helicopters.

I'd be annoyed to lose Rosa but I probably wouldn't agree with that characterisation.

You are probably right, I haven't watched his every game maybe like you..

I followed him a bit when Whosha was Coach.. I always seen him as someone we(Freo) needed.. good forward entries.. and good long kick.. maybe that has changed in the last couple of years, due to a changed role or ??? But, that skill of forward entry is underrated.

You are probably right, I haven't watched his every game maybe like you..

I followed him a bit when Whosha was Coach.. I always seen him as someone we(Freo) needed.. good forward entries.. and good long kick.. maybe that has changed in the last couple of years, due to a changed role or ??? But, that skill of forward entry is underrated.
The knock on him has generally been the opposite. The reason he's never been a top-liner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Matt Rosa [traded to Gold Coast for #31]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back