Matthew Johnson, please stop taking on the tackler every time you get the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

james haish

All Australian
Apr 6, 2024
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hi Matthew,

Big fan. You have a lot of swagger and I expect at around 50 games everything clicks and you start to dominate. But there is a massive flaw in your game. You think you are still playing colts. When you get the ball, you have less time than you think, your sidestep is of no surprise to seasoned AFL players, and most of your opponents have 5+ years of preseason strength training behind them. You aren't winning this battle presently and it will be a few seasons before it's one you can consistently win. Concentrate on doing the team thing, offloading to a player in a better position, running to put blocks on in support. Try the fend off and tackle break on occasion, but try to play within your limitations. You're in the AFL now.

He’s a midfield Ethan Hughes. He is solid overall but has you tearing your hair out 1-2 times a game every week without fail.

I have heard the players talk about testing the tackler more, pretty sure its coaching. Thing is he gets away with it at times and looks a million bucks, just not great when he gets HTB and completely kills momentum unnecessarily.

He’s a midfield Ethan Hughes. He is solid overall but has you tearing your hair out 1-2 times a game every week without fail.

Loves to over power basic handpases and choosing the wrong option

Loves to over power basic handpases and choosing the wrong option
The HTB in the centre - early last quarter he had a chance to flick out a handball to an outside runner but ignored that turned inside tried to take on the tackle and got nailed. There is a balance. Take the first option everytime if there is no first option I’m all for him taking on the tackler. He also fumbled a fair bit tonight.

The HTB in the centre - early last quarter he had a chance to flick out a handball to an outside runner but ignored that turned inside tried to take on the tackle and got nailed. There is a balance. Take the first option everytime if there is no first option I’m all for him taking on the tackler. He also fumbled a fair bit tonight.
You mean the one where young slipped over and he had to change direction?

He's an intersesting one. Will have like 3 really bad clangers in a row but then he'll do a few really good things in a row. Like when he fends of and gets caught htb its awful, but then he'll fend off another moment and it completely opens up the field when taking the first option wouldn't have.

Just needs to have a bit more awareness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young slipped over so his release option disappeared, forcing him to turn inside - not his fault.

Its frustrating when he gets caught, but a lot of times he doesn’t - I’m keen for him to continue taking it on, he’ll be great at it in a year or two

Some pf the stuff he does in traffic is incredible, this guy will be a midfield bull that almost no one will be able to match. He just needs maturity as his problem is between the ears.
Look at the size of him. He will be untackable very soon and I an honestly see him rag dolling likes of Crisp etc as early as next season.

Tries to be like Fyfe. Except he’s not strong nor agile enough for it.

Not really bothered by the taking on the player, more so he disregards the first option and wants to take the riskier option.

By the time he realises it’s too risky or doesn’t have enough time and space, he then goes back to the first option when it’s already too late.

He also has the habit of little stupid handballs when he takes all that time as well, putting even more pressure on the midfield group

Tries to be like Fyfe. Except he’s not strong nor agile enough for it.

Not really bothered by the taking on the player, more so he disregards the first option and wants to take the riskier option.

By the time he realises it’s too risky or doesn’t have enough time and space, he then goes back to the first option when it’s already too late.

He also has the habit of little stupid handballs when he takes all that time as well, putting even more pressure on the midfield group
Agree. Was just about to say this. Where he has someone running past or free but invites the contact first. Not problem if there isn't but often there is and instead of this kickstarting the chain it stops it in its tracks

Seems more of an issue when playing wing, where there is open space. In congestion in the midfield is okay

I think his lack of speed in everything he does is more of a concern. Players are encouraged to test the tackler.
Yes I think this is the real issue and he is very poor on the defensive spread. Goes at Mundy speed when the opposition has the ball, but unlike Mundy he is not an elite ball user and doesn't have the frame to shrug off tackles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Matthew Johnson, please stop taking on the tackler every time you get the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back