Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for Nicks, why does it seem to take us so long to arrest a run of bad form.

This year we’ve gone:

0-4 from rounds 1-4.

4-1-2 from rounds 5-11 (losses by 3 and 4 points).

0-3 from rounds 12-14.

2-1 from rounds 16-18.

When it’s gone wrong it’s gone badly wrong, and we’ve actually been decent outside of that. Why can’t he stop this?

If he continues to select Himmelberg I'm not sure how anyone can defend him. I'd rather go with Burgess if he wants a placeholder in for Thilthorpe in the first half again given we have nothing to lose and Himmelberg is going.
Himmelberg is better than Burgess by a comfortable margin.

Realistically it's neither now that Thilthorpe is back.

Question for Nicks, why does it seem to take us so long to arrest a run of bad form.

This year we’ve gone:

0-4 from rounds 1-4.

0-3 from rounds 12-14.

2-1 from rounds 16-18.

When it’s gone wrong it’s gone badly wrong, and we’ve actually been decent outside of that. Why can’t he stop this?
Because he is not good enough at either identifying issues, or teaching and implementing changes in game plan.

Probably both.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

And yet Nicks said in the presser he was concerned when it was raining

While rain was forecast over the weekend it rarely rains during our games. So when it started raining fairly steadily there is no doubt he would have wondered about the knee and whether to play him. I actually didn’t think they would put him on at 3 quarter time.

And in terms of the game - we were always beating the Saints - could have picked McHenry in the team and we still would have won

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

While rain was forecast over the weekend it rarely rains during our games. So when it started raining fairly steadily there is no doubt he would have wondered about the knee and whether to play him. I actually didn’t think they would put him on at 3 quarter time.

And in terms of the game - we were always beating the Saints - could have picked McHenry in the team and we still would have won

“I’m not going to lie, we were slightly concerned when it was raining in the third and the slipperiest game ever”

Now your comment that it rarely rains during our games is totally irrelevant when it’s been raining and rain is forecast and what do you know it rained!

We weren’t always beating St Kilda, we were only 8 points up at 3/4 time. Now what if we lost say Soligo in the first qtr and were forced to play Riley early, we would have been way too big.

We gambled, it paid off, we were lucky. But the coach shouldn’t come out and say we were concerned in the presser when the concern was obvious to all when the team was announced!

But you’ve got some weird habit of trying to mount a defence for stupid decisions and you do it with weird explanations, not sure why feel the need.

This year we’ve gone:

0-4 from rounds 1-4.

0-3 from rounds 12-14.

2-1 from rounds 16-18.

Haha no we haven't. There has been no arresting of poor form. It has been poor form from round 1 to round 18 with slight variances. The biggest factor in us being "decent" is the quality of the opposition, or their current poor form.

Except for the Showdown, we just have the wood on them.

1) Fluke win against Carlton where they were wasteful in front of goal. Still best win for the season easily.
2) Loss to Essendon while only being 3 points, was in reality a very one sided game for Essendon. They were inaccurate, really it was a 6-7 goal loss in general play.
3) Collingwood loss by 4 points was us failing to win a close one against Collingwood once again. Particularly egregious as they were nowhere near the peak of their powers.
4) Draw against Lions should have been an easy win for us, Lions were in poor form, injury ravaged and coming off a short break, we had a long break.
5) Our other 3 wins were against the Power, who we have the wood on, the Eagles and Roos, who are both shit. Hardly arresting bad form there.

2-1 from rounds 16-18.

We got to play a GWS side in very inconsistent form at home and a shit St Kilda side at home. Wowee. Such decent, many form.

Why can’t he stop this?

We are shit footy side. 14th/15th is where we are at and is an accurate reflection of what this club is capable of.

Probably would have gotten more wins if we weren't playing a defensive, low scoring, loser mentality gameplan devised by Chrome Dome.

Additionally, Nicks has this side primed for a flat track, when hardship or expectation appears this team falters. It is a separate issue to the poor gameplan and talent and experience holes in the list.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I keep finding myself hoping that Nicks isn’t as bad as he appears …

Hoping that he is growing and learning and will come good eventually.

But he won’t.

It’s really just me knowing he isn’t going anywhere and trying to cope with the fact that my club is going to waste the talent we do have in the squad with a dud driving the bus.

Dawson
Rankine
Thilthorpe
Soligo
Fogarty
Rachelle
Michelanny
Worrell

That’s a pretty good start.

We still have good youth in the 2s including Curtin.

I have no faith in any of the club to do the right thing … none. We will be good citizens, we will look after our people. I want a ruthless streak that does whatever it takes.

I don’t feel any closer to a premiership, and that’s all that matters to me.

I keep finding myself hoping that Nicks isn’t as bad as he appears …

Hoping that he is growing and learning and will come good eventually.

But he won’t.

It’s really just me knowing he isn’t going anywhere and trying to cope with the fact that my club is going to waste the talent we do have in the squad with a dud driving the bus.

Dawson
Rankine
Thilthorpe
Soligo
Fogarty
Rachelle
Michelanny
Worrell

That’s a pretty good start.

We still have good youth in the 2s including Curtin.

I have no faith in any of the club to do the right thing … none. We will be good citizens, we will look after our people. I want a ruthless streak that does whatever it takes.

I don’t feel any closer to a premiership, and that’s all that matters to me.

If a premiership is all that matters to you, then you may be in a world of pain. It takes more than just the right coach and players to win a flag. In the last 20 years there have been many amazing teams that were much better than our current team (relatively speaking) who failed to win a flag and then there were others who came out of nowhere to go all the way. To be fair, even 97 and 98 we didn’t dominate the season and were definitely not favourites going into the GF. Ironically we were favourites in 2017. Go figure!

I guess to win a flag requires so much to go right. I feel if Roo didn’t get Pavo in 2006 or get suspended leading up to our Saints game (the qualifying final) in 2005, things might have went differently. So much has to go right to win a flag. I think having expectations to compete regularly in finals is probably a realistic expectation, but only 8 out of 18 will do that each year. The odds are not in any teams favour, hence why things have to go right.

I think this Bombers match at Marvel is gonna show a lot on Friday. It's the exact sort of game he's going to try and control and slow down and force us to go slow and short with our ball movement, which hasn't ever worked when we've tried it for long periods.

“I’m not going to lie, we were slightly concerned when it was raining in the third and the slipperiest game ever”

Now your comment that it rarely rains during our games is totally irrelevant when it’s been raining and rain is forecast and what do you know it rained!

We weren’t always beating St Kilda, we were only 8 points up at 3/4 time. Now what if we lost say Soligo in the first qtr and were forced to play Riley early, we would have been way too big.

We gambled, it paid off, we were lucky. But the coach shouldn’t come out and say we were concerned in the presser when the concern was obvious to all when the team was announced!

But you’ve got some weird habit of trying to mount a defence for stupid decisions and you do it with weird explanations, not sure why feel the need.
They were bloody lucky and he knew it.

I do. It’s my way of overcoming the all consuming negativity on this board - which we have another whole 11 plus months to look forward to at a minimum!!

I do. It’s my way of overcoming the all consuming negativity on this board - which we have another whole 11 plus months to look forward to at a minimum!!

So your way of overcoming reality is to create alternative fantasy scenarios that you know aren’t true.

Good to know, won’t waste my time responding then.

If a premiership is all that matters to you, then you may be in a world of pain. It takes more than just the right coach and players to win a flag. In the last 20 years there have been many amazing teams that were much better than our current team (relatively speaking) who failed to win a flag and then there were others who came out of nowhere to go all the way. To be fair, even 97 and 98 we didn’t dominate the season and were definitely not favourites going into the GF. Ironically we were favourites in 2017. Go figure!

I guess to win a flag requires so much to go right. I feel if Roo didn’t get Pavo in 2006 or get suspended leading up to our Saints game (the qualifying final) in 2005, things might have went differently. So much has to go right to win a flag. I think having expectations to compete regularly in finals is probably a realistic expectation, but only 8 out of 18 will do that each year. The odds are not in any teams favour, hence why things have to go right.
Every team with the exception of Gold Coast have made the finals over the last 21 years. Some more than others.

Sydney/Geelong have made the finals 18 out of the past 21 years. Sydney has two premierships. Geelong 4.
Collingwood with 13 out of 21 years with 2 premierships in that time.
West Coast with 12 out of 21 also with 2 premierships.
Hawthorn next making the finals 10 out of 21 years for a whopping 4 premierships.
Three teams have made the finals 9 times over the last 21 years - Western Bulldogs, Adelaide and St kilda with only the Bulldogs winning a premiership.
Richmond, Brisbane, Essendon, Melbourne and Port Adelaide have made the finals 8 times in the last 21 years - Richmond with three flags, Melbourne and Port with one each.
North, Freo and GWS have made the finals 7 years (out of 13 games for GWS) with no Flags.
Carlton has made it to finals 6 times with no flag
and Gold Coast has never made finals in the 14 years they've been in existence.

If we had even a half decent coach, surely they’d’ve given up on players like McHenry and Murphy years ago and communicated to the list management team that they have no intention of wasting time on these guys and to find adequate replacements

We have so many woefully inadequate players who we have no intention of moving on/upgrading, in fact we elevate them to leadership roles and hand them 2-3+ year contracts. The players we desperately need out of this club are the ones Nicks seems to revere the most. Any coach worth their salt just does not allow this to happen
Would players like McHenry and Murphy last under a coach like Longmire, Hardwick or McRae?

Or Blight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back