Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you really think about it, its not absurd at all. If they bring in Balme, all their jobs will be on the chopping block.
They are in self preservation mode and they will all be hoping a few small assistant changes will result in finals next year. It absolutely wont and then of course they will be forced to make sackings end of next year due to external pressure.
They wouldn’t allow him to have that authority 😡

If you really think about it, its not absurd at all. If they bring in Balme, all their jobs will be on the chopping block.
They are in self preservation mode and they will all be hoping a few small assistant changes will result in finals next year. It absolutely wont and then of course they will be forced to make sackings end of next year due to external pressure.
That's the absurd part .. a lot their jobs won't be on the chopping block

It'll just be that they aren't prepared to deal there own short comings and there own bruised ego's

Malthouse hated Leading Teams - he was all for making the players accountable, was never prepared to put himself under the same microscope

Buckley was

Just an example of the mindset of different senior coaches from different generations

Though this was from the time they were together at Collingwood

I was referring more to the overall state of the playing and coaching group, which was absolutely shattered in the wake of the GF loss and camp. But in that regard, peak Pyke of 2016-17 was very different from latter day Pyke of 2018-19.

That 11th place finish under Pyke was part of an established trajectory... 15 wins, 12 wins, 10 wins. We were in freefall by then. The grand final version of Pyke was long gone, instead we had the post-camp version backed by the likes of Campo, Hart, Godden etc (not to mention Burton). If we'd kept that staff for 2020, I'm not confident the outcome would have been much better.

This is not to be a defence of Nicks (I am firmly in the sack him right now camp), but I think the fond memories of the 2016-17 seasons shouldn't obscure the fact that it was the mismanagement during the Pyke era that led us to the state we're in now. Nicks has been unable to dig us out of it, and club management are unable to see or unwilling to admit that he's not capable of digging us out.
Fair reply, thanks.

I doubt very much that Pyke put the Crows in for that Camp. He might have said, OK, try it, but I don't think it was his idea.
Don Pyke is not the esoteric, Kumbaya type.

Fair reply, thanks.

I doubt very much that Pyke put the Crows in for that Camp. He might have said, OK, try it, but I don't think it was his idea.
Don Pyke is not the esoteric, Kumbaya type.

I don't blame Pyke for the Camp but I didn't like how he handled the fallout. He had to get involved to sought out the mess as the playing group was very splintered.

Such a focus at Adelaide currently on who is out and who is in, strong teams do not spend their lives worrying about who is in and who is out. The reality at Adelaide currently, is the players are confused, whether you will be given the ball or not , is in the lap of the gods. Hawthorn killed Adelaide from stoppage, with this current regime the lack of structure at stoppage as the game progresses is embarrassing for the football club. O'Brien is completely done.Can't develop a player, average players become below average currently at Adelaide. Quality players become disillusioned. Ball movement is a disaster area, if you have a look at a video when the heat is on, it is incompetent. Patterns are not maintained, there is a lack of discipline which comes from not being drilled effectively, and therefore ball control is most often haphazard and ineffective. Hawthorn and Mitchell exposed the nightmare that is Adelaide under Nicks, that and a list management team that is incompetent, no drive/skin in the game from the football director and you have a disaster zone. Given the quality of Dawson, Rankine (who chose to come home!!) , room in the salary cap and the talent/potential of some of our other people - the employment of an effective coach would bring some relief from the agony of watching this current rabble. You have to have some empathy for players, who are effectively only ever as good as the coaching program. The fact that any talent at Adelaide is not developing like it should is a screaming issue for the future of the club - meanwhile we see the complete opposite occurring at Hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That doesn't seem right. Bickley works for the club. And he would have a relationship with Roo and Olsen etc.

If even Bicks is saying Nicks can't survive performances like this for the rest of 2024, the club also thinks this.
Yes but only so they have their scapegoat. Removing Nicks will change little.

I don't blame Pyke for the Camp but I didn't like how he handled the fallout. He had to get involved to sought out the mess as the playing group was very splintered.
In that disaster presser with birdbrain though he did own the mistake whereas as birdbrain was denying any issues. It hard to know from the outside but I think it just got away from pyke and he couldn’t get the players back. Birdbrain was the worst appointment we have ever made and that’s saying something!

Yes but only so they have their scapegoat. Removing Nicks will change little.
Removing Nicks would be a very good start... but yes we need significant changes made at AFC as we need people with football pedigree.

Removing Nicks would be a very good start... but yes we need significant changes made at AFC as we need people with football pedigree.
Every organisation is driven from the top. It's the whole governance of the club that needs to be overhauled. The entire board should be elected by the members - why is most of our board AFL appointed, but not the Vic clubs? North Melbourne would be getting a hell of a lot more financial support from the AFL than we do, but they get to elect their own board while we get one foisted on us by the league. Why?!?!

The end result is that we have a board that is beholden to the interests of the AFL, not the members. The AFL doesn't give a **** if we win a flag or not. All they care about is stability. As long as we're profitable and the TV ratings and attendances don't drop, they really don't care if we win the flag or if somebody else does. Therefore we end up with a board that tolerates the kind of results we're seeing for as long as we've been seeing them for. We get an administration that opens wide and eats it up every time the AFL decides to feed us a spoonful of sh*t because they're appointed by the AFL, so they're not going to criticise the AFL.

Ultimately, there's no accountability to the members, only to the AFL. The members care about on-field results. If the board was elected by the members, they would also care about on-field results because that would determine if they got to remain on the board. The end result would be a lot less tolerance for the kind of sh*t we're seeing. Nicks would not have been extended so prematurely early in the season. And if he had been, then there would have been the possibility of some kind of accountability from the board at AGM time later in the year when those positions were up for election.

While you get quotes like "We have the list to go to the top" and "our coaching staff are the best around" tells you everything about this club.
I understand the premise of selling the club externally but I actually think they believe this internally

Just a random fact that I found out today that I strangely didn’t believe, Matthew Nicks is a year older than what Malcolm Blight was when he coached the Crows to the 1998 flag and the same age as what Malcolm was when left the club in 1999.

Just a random fact that I found out today that I strangely didn’t believe, Matthew Nicks is a year older than what Malcolm Blight was when he coached the Crows to the 1998 flag and the same age as what Malcolm was when left the club in 1999.
Charlie Day Ok GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back