Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a bit of deeper dive of

Mathew Nicks AFC coaching record:

102 games coached - 36W,1D,65L

Under Nicks during this time since 2020:
  1. Crows winning % is 35%
  2. Crows winning % is just 28% if you remove the wins against the Eagles and North
  3. Crows have never won a game against the Pies or Swans.
  4. Crows have a winning % over Blues,North,Saints and Eagles
  5. Crows have beaten just once Lions,Dons,Freo,Cats,Dees,Tigers and Dogs
  6. Crows have had a total of just 14W over the current Top 8 as of R20 2024.
  7. Crows record over Port is 4W4L
That's premiership coaching material.

Opos, I really mean premier shit coach. He's the best shit coach in the AFL.

Sorry, but this post is ridiculous.

There is no hindsight involved in saying four talls was a bad idea. The majority of people called it ahead of time and were proved correct. This joins a long list of baffling selection and tactical decisions that have cost us games.

You mention the lack of depth in the 24-29 year old age bracket. This is true, however you also mention that some of those guys shouldn’t be playing. That’s where the frustration comes from, those guys being picked, taking valuable experience off of the players of our future while we’re in a rebuilding phase. You are right, we lack experience and players in their prime, which means I can live with losing, I can’t live with losing with players who aren’t contributing and aren’t a part of our future. E.g. playing Himmelberg instead of giving Curtin a full game.

You’re right our drafting pre-2020 was poor. However, Nicks does not get to use that as an excuse, when he continues to play Jones, and continued to play McHenry well past the point where we all knew they weren’t up to it. Correct, the list management is not his fault, but his inability to identify which players to invest in and which to leave behind is a big contributing factor.

Your point about players not dominating at SANFL level to demand selection is also not valid. First and second year players do not need to dominate consistently to warrant selection, if you identify a player has talent (e.g. Dowling, Taylor, Curtin) they need opportunities to be tested at the highest level, with that experience, consistency will come. Again, it’s about identifying who you think has what it takes and giving them the opportunities, something Nicks has consistently failed to do. Your point about needing players to dominate consistently falls down as players like McHenry and Jones are not held to that same standard, despite failing at AFL level.

Pointing to the progress of Dowling, Nankervis, Taylor, Worrell and Sholl is not a positive for Nicks. He was dragged kicking and screaming in to picking those players, all could have far more games under their belts if it weren’t for his obsession with players he perceives to be “hard workers”.

You’re right, our list has proven they’re capable of competing with the best. The issue is we are so often let down by tactical incompetence.

Take the Essendon win as an example, according to Laird we went in with a defensive focus. Yet the game ended up as a shoot out, so clearly Nicks has failed there. It is then no surprise that our best play came in the latter stages of quarters, once our players started playing more on instinct and less on instruction.
Kudos :thumbsu: for doing what I couldn't be bothered to do, ie dismantle that ridiculous post. Goodonya.

I have no time for anyone who starts a post with "I don't understand the animosity towards Nicks" when Nicks' shortcomings/faults/cluelessness are apparent to most of this Forum.
The blather that followed "I don't understand the animosity towards Nicks" made my eyes roll back so far I could see my own brain.

They dont want to pay him out im guessing.
Could be.

My guess is that sacking him during the bye or even now would be proof of their own incompetence in re-signing him,
ie they'd have to be sacked themselves.
No need to list Nicks' many mistakes and game-nuance cluelessness; his 7-11-1 and overall record speak for themselves.

My guess is that sacking him during the bye or even now would be proof of their own incompetence in re-signing him,
ie they'd have to be sacked themselves.
I think this is it in a nutshell

Plus they truly believe that next year HAS to be different even though they have 5 years DATA

But mostly its the fact there are no mirrors at the AFC headquarters so they dont need to take a good hard look at themselves

In amongst all this calling for Nicks head, I'm yet to hear of anyone floating any potential upgrades?
Yeah/nah, both of Buckley and Roos have been touted as upgrades.

The Club has to bite the bullet and throw a fistful of money at the best available.
Roos has now been mentioned as a possible WCE Coach, btw.
I think Nicks can certainly use the list management as an excuse.
Nope.
Reid and Ogilvie might well have selected Murphy, McHenry and Jones (to name a few) but Nicks didn't have to give them so many AFL games based on their potential/ try-hard scrappiness <== actually, you could drop the 's' from that last word.
I would also argue that the development of Dowling, Nankervis, Taylor, Worrell and Sholl is a positive for Nicks.
All but Sholl were forced to be selected by player injury, ie not anything to do with Nicks' ability to spot talent (he has none) and play it.
Ditto, Bond.
Please, stop defending the indefensible.

It was an improvement on what we had at the time.
No it wasnt.

Pyke shits all over Nicks.

As did Walsh and Sando before that.

What we did to Sando was brutal. 2012 a kick away from a GF. Then loses assistant coach to cancer. 2013 finishes a game out of the 8. 2014 also one game out o the 8. The sacked. yet Nicks gets year after year after year.

Last edited:
He is by far the worst senior coach we have had since our inception and eventually will be the most hated by fans as well because the club will not move him on this year. Even Bicks this morning said the people that made the decision to re-sign him would have to be held accountable too if they sacked him now. Remember he works for the Crows so him even openly discussing this means theres not a chance in hell he will go. It is what it is, next year he will get the boot when they see the same or even worse results. Nicks wont change a damn thing over the off-season, he will back in the same no hopers costing us another year of development. We are totally incompetent and we desperately need quality people that understand football running this club. This club is not desperate for success, there is no urgency, i honestly feel terrible for Rankine & Dawson, years of these guys short careers playing football just ****ing wasting away.

"At the time", we had Pyke who took us to a Grand Final and only as low as 11th (with a 10-12 record in 2019).
Overall record: 93 (56–36–1)
Nicks: 102 (36-65-1) :sadv1: :madv1:
I was referring more to the overall state of the playing and coaching group, which was absolutely shattered in the wake of the GF loss and camp. But in that regard, peak Pyke of 2016-17 was very different from latter day Pyke of 2018-19.

That 11th place finish under Pyke was part of an established trajectory... 15 wins, 12 wins, 10 wins. We were in freefall by then. The grand final version of Pyke was long gone, instead we had the post-camp version backed by the likes of Campo, Hart, Godden etc (not to mention Burton). If we'd kept that staff for 2020, I'm not confident the outcome would have been much better.

This is not to be a defence of Nicks (I am firmly in the sack him right now camp), but I think the fond memories of the 2016-17 seasons shouldn't obscure the fact that it was the mismanagement during the Pyke era that led us to the state we're in now. Nicks has been unable to dig us out of it, and club management are unable to see or unwilling to admit that he's not capable of digging us out.

Sando also sucked, not as much as Nicks. Those 2013/2014 sides should have at least made the finals.
You have to wonder how much of the good we had from Sando was actually due to Dean Bailey. Sando got us to a prelim in 2012 with Bailey at his side. No Bailey in 2013-14 due to suspension and illness etc, and the results were much worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sando also sucked, not as much as Nicks. Those 2013/2014 sides should have at least made the finals.
2013 was missing Walker all year after a 63 goal year in 2012 and Tippett also packed his bags. 2014 Tex was coming back after 12 months out. Bailey was instrumental im sure in 2012. We didnt replace him when he was sick for 13/14. That would have effected Sando as well. I dont think Sando sucked. Just wasnt given what he needed.

You have to wonder how much of the good we had from Sando was actually due to Dean Bailey. Sando got us to a prelim in 2012 with Bailey at his side. No Bailey in 2013-14 due to suspension and illness etc, and the results were much worse.
2013 was missing Walker all year after a 63 goal year in 2012 and Tippett also packed his bags. 2014 Tex was coming back after 12 months out. Bailey was instrumental im sure in 2012. We didnt replace him when he was sick for 13/14. That would have effected Sando as well. I dont think Sando sucked. Just wasnt given what he needed.

We thought all our previous coaches sucked, and then came along Matthew Nicks, and he made them all look like multiple premiership winning coaches. Thats how bad of a coach this guy is. I wouldn't even care about his record if he was painting the picture of how good we will be in 2 or 3 years time, by actually developing our talented youngsters in the AFL Team, playing them in their best POSITIONS & backing them in. But he keeps going back to the same well of failed players again and again.

Nah. I think all that can be true, and Sando sucked.

2. Crows winning % is just 28% if you remove the wins against the Eagles and North

We are a soft, comfortable club.

The AFC embraces mediocrity.

We are a soft, comfortable club.

The AFC embraces mediocrity.
I wish I could challenge this, but I cant.

I will say that wasny always the case. There has been times albeit brief, when we demanded excellence and professionalism.

That was when we had Blight and Walsh. Even during Craig's era, we were a very strong H&A side.

Not even Clarkson would have given a 30% winning percentage (especially in 2020) in those 39 games in 2020 and 2021 given the amount of list turnover post the CM especially with the rebuild occurring in a global pandemic. So his record 26W, 1D, 46L is actually quite reasonable for a full rebuild coach taking out those years and this is with the continual selection of 3-4 players who are carried for the entire season last and this year and a lot of close loss against the top teams.

Last edited:
Interesting on the radio this afternoon was conversation re the hunt for the new coach for WC.

Hansen and Graham (Fremantle I think) were mentioned as being early front runners. Montgomery was mentioned as a later inclusion in that group.

They highlighted his reputation for tactical nous, particularly in game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back