Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone at the club actually said the results this year have been unacceptable?

Not a dip, not disappointing, but unacceptable,
Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

"He doesn't like to call them substitutes, he refers to them as 'finishers'." - a quote I heard during England vs Switzerland. Same phrasing, same bad coaching/management.

Never realised Nicks was the AFL equivalent of Gareth Southgate.

"He doesn't like to call them substitutes, he refers to them as 'finishers'." - a quote I heard during England vs Switzerland. Same phrasing, same bad coaching/management.

Never realised Nicks was the AFL equivalent of Gareth Southgate.
Wasn’t it impact player a month or two ago?

Last edited:
Wasn’t it impact player a moth or two ago?
Yes. Southgate calls them 'finishers', Nicks calls them 'impact players'. Different phrasing**, same concept.

Last edited:
What cannot be defended is why we gave him a 2 year extension.

Poorly run Fremantle were in an identical position to us.

Both us and Freo had a coach that was brought in at the end of 2019. Freo's coach had at least made the finals (and won a final). Both coaches were under pressure and out of contract at the end of 2024.

Why oh why did we give Nicks a 2 year. Fremantle gave Longmuir a one year extension, which took the pressure off the club in 2024 and still gave them flexibility with the soft cap if 2024 was a disaster and they wanted to move on from him.

2 clubs.

One club has a coach with a 50% win / loss record and has coached his side to a finals win. Club still not sold so extends for 12 months to relieve pressure, but not commit long term and this coach is sitting top 4.

Once club has a coach with a 33% win / loss record and has yet to sniff finals. Club 100% sure he is the guy and sign him to an extension for another 2 years. This coach is sitting bottom 4 and continually making stupid errors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicks at his presser basically said the midfield was smashed, especially in the first half. That should be alarm bells for him given

First Half CBAs
Laird - 13 (3 clearances)
Berry - 9 (3 clearances)
Soligo - 9 (3 clearances)
Rankine - 8 (1 clearance)
Dawson - 5 (1 clearance)
Dowling - 5 (0 clearances)

He's shuffled the magnets around trying many different combinations of players (with the exception of Laird, who was almost always there) and it made little to no difference. Especially given his two best players contributed nothing.

His midfield structure failed (again)

Nicks at his presser basically said the midfield was smashed, especially in the first half. That should be alarm bells for him given

First Half CBAs
Berry - 9 (3 clearances)
Dawson - 5 (1 clearance)

He's shuffled the magnets around trying many different combinations of players (with the exception of Laird, who was almost always there) and it made little to no difference. Especially given his two best players contributed nothing.

He is flailing

First Half CBAs
Berry - 9 (3 clearances)
Dawson - 5 (1 clearance)

How the **** have we gone back to Laird getting the majority of minutes and halving the minutes of our two best midfielders (Dawson and Rankine)? Like, wtf?

I don't mind Berry getting an opportunity after the GWS game, but it's also again not in tune with list management, given it appears very likely he's been told to explore options at the end of season.

How the **** have we gone back to Laird getting the majority of minutes and halving the minutes of our two best midfielders (Dawson and Rankine)? Like, wtf?

I don't mind Berry getting an opportunity after the GWS game, but it's also again not in tune with list management, given it appears very likely he's been told to explore options at the end of season.
Nicks

Laird, Berry and Soligo (especially together) as the main options is not a good mix

Nick's has the crows competitive in most games. Don't see you guys getting flogged like Port have this season

Nicks does have us competitive. We are back to playing an attacking brand of football. Which suits our list profile. But why did it take us half a season for us to start playing this way? I can tell you that it was because Nicks spent all of preseason, undoing everything he built last season so he could build a structure and game plan around an ultra defensive mindset. In other words, he didnt give a crap if we only scored 50 points in a game, as long as we stopped the opposition from scoring and kept them to 49 points.

Why did he do that? i guess no one really knows but Nicks has always coached to avoid being flogged. He has always come with a defensive mindset. They were only rumours, but in 2022 it was rumoured that several players were unhappy with the ultra defensive attitude. Last season in 2023 we went with an attacking game plan on the back of Tex and Rankine in some ripping form. We missed the finals.

So did we go back to this team defense counter attack game plan? my theory is his job was on the line, he thought we were good enough to become a dour defensive side and with Tex and Rankine, we'd score heavily on the counter attack. Basically assuring that we stayed in games a majority of the time. But he over estimated our midfield. We got smashed in all major areas weekly which meant actually making a decent attempt at winning games not really possible. Not to mention some arrogance about playing the young guys. Namely Dowling and Curtin.

Now the season was all but over by the middle of the year, its got me stumped as to why he has let the team off the leash and we can play an attacking game plan from the start, instead of this flick the switch come back style crap he had at the beginning.

All I can say is, no point looking like a great team if we cant win matches and we still aren't winning.

I honestly dont know what to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back