Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious question, did any of those coaches take over a list in as bad condition as ours?
Stop embarrassing yourself

0-13

Round 1 2020

Crouch x 2
Milera
Laird
Sloane
Lynch
Seedsman
Atkins
Talia
Brown
O'Brien
Stengle
Murphy
Frampton
Kelly
Fogarty
Gibbs
Walker
Smith
Jones
McAsey
Davis

For what is worth - based on the majority, Nicks might be in a spot of bother.

I reckon Nix survives if we are still competing for finals late in the season, only a fairly bad first dozen or so games would see him in trouble. I reckon he survives a 10/13 style year, as long as he's running that ratio throughout.

This is a very smart, reasonable post:
I think we have largely been a club that has become so scared to lose players that when players do stick around long-term they get put on a pedestal above every other player on the rest of the playing group.

We've still got a senior core who developed in that environment and the problem is now that Nicks has been so reluctant to drop any experience we do have he's let some get away with some pretty shitty football and they've developed some very poor habits that you'd hope don't rub off on the younger group.

And I don't even think it's like a sinister, conscious thing on the part of the senior group at times, they've had it put into their head for so long they need to play for us to win, of course they think the best thing for the team is if they put their hand up to play, even if their form is bad or they're hurt or whatever.
Perception is reality.
Sloane, Smith and Laird for example have been good for so long they see themselves as necessary and have found it hard to face their declines. It's very human.

We haven't seen anything yet....
Of course you have, you're just looking at it at a superficial level

You've heard the term, follow the process, and results will ultimately come ....well then you're looking at the results, and not the process going on

For what is worth - based on the majority, Nicks might be in a spot of bother.

Lots of group think here, esp re Horks rising and Port Power falling (happy to join the group)

Interesting one for biggest storyline

Biggest storyline: Riley Thilthorpe, after an injury-free preseason, emerges as a premier forward in the comp, kicking 50+ goals and making his first All-Australian team.

Lots of group think here, esp re Horks rising and Port Power falling (happy to join the group)

Interesting one for biggest storyline

Biggest storyline: Riley Thilthorpe, after an injury-free preseason, emerges as a premier forward in the comp, kicking 50+ goals and making his first All-Australian team.
I mean, the first one just kept the same top 8 and shifted the spots around a little. Boring article is boring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please enlighten us with even ONE such scenario, where a Coach with a 64% failure rate after 5 years and NO finals has turned it around to winning a Flag with the same team ANY time after that ...
Excuse me, nicks coached GWS to a grand final.

You mean having finished 10th the previous season? I'd guess most inherited worse.
Case in point, Andrew McQualter (38yo, long-time Assistant to Hardwick) has just been appointed WCE new Head Coach, taking on a side which has finished 16th, 18th, 17th over the last 3 years, poor bastard.
Nicks took over a side whose previous 3 years were 2nd, 12th, 11th.

If McQualter lasts 5 years and takes them to Nicks' 5-year record, reckon they'll extend him?
Only the AFC would be that dumb.

I see a bunch of cooked stars and players who left the club.

A lot of our stars were in their prime in 2020

M. Crouch 25 years old
B. Crouch 26
Laird 26
Smith 28
Talia 28
Walker 29
Sloane 30
Lynch 29
Doedee 23
O'Brien 24
Milera 22

First round picks to work with: Fogarty, McAsey, Jones, McHenry, Gallucci

Nicks had that list and botched the season

Yes in previous years a bunch of players left, yes our depth was crap, yes we didn't have much youth coming through. But still. That list is not 0-13 start to the year level bad.

M. Crouch 25 years old
B. Crouch 26
Laird 26
Smith 28
Talia 28
Walker 29
Sloane 30
Lynch 29
Doedee 23
O'Brien 24
Milera 22

Yes in previous years a bunch of players left, yes our depth was crap, yes we didn't have much youth coming through. But still. That list is not 0-13 start to the year level bad.

Gibbs.

M. Crouch 25 years old
B. Crouch 26
Laird 26
Smith 28
Talia 28
Walker 29
Sloane 30
Lynch 29
Doedee 23
O'Brien 24
Milera 22

We also let go Stengle , Atkins , Frampton, Kelly and Brad Crouch

All who were playing this year - thats how cooked they were

Excuse me, nicks coached GWS to a grand final.
This post defines your posting .....as you've said, you simply try and stir the board up, so it's not a love-fest

Make it up as you go

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back