Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trivia question: Without looking it up, what percentage of our games did murphy play in from rounds 1-9?

Who cares, he is a spud!

He played in the rounds 2-4, which we lost all 3. Remember this coz his first win was against West Coast and has been in the side since unfortunately.

Didn’t you already post something like this?
Announcing Bill Murray GIF

I think Nicks had done a pretty good job overall, taking a basket case club and rebuilding the list.

Sure he was outcoached by other mid level coaches multiple times, but there are some super performances too.

Team selection is conservative and over rates non possession statistical metrics which we don't get to see, including experience, pressure and shape, which is frustrating.

There is very little between us and North, if anything North have a better coach and better top end talent. But we are and have been the past 3.5 years a better team. Why?

What are we doing that has stopped us from being a basketcase? I believe it's that Nicks gained the trust of the older guys and convinced them they could play finals again.

Now he has almost completely transitioned the team through to a new squad, and the young guys are playing really well.

I'm losing patience but have enjoyed the rebuild. I've got until we don't make the finals next year to keep the faith in the trajectory. But considering where the club was gives Nicks a couple of extra years in my book, ie write off 2020 and 2021 as the culture rebuild which had to happen first.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Nicks had done a pretty good job overall, taking a basket case club and rebuilding the list.

Sure he was outcoached by other mid level coaches multiple times, but there are some super performances too.

Team selection is conservative and over rates non possession statistical metrics which we don't get to see, including experience, pressure and shape, which is frustrating.

There is very little between us and North, if anything North have a better coach and better top end talent. But we are and have been the past 3.5 years a better team. Why?

What are we doing that has stopped us from being a basketcase? I believe it's that Nicks gained the trust of the older guys and convinced them they could play finals again.

Now he has almost completely transitioned the team through to a new squad, and the young guys are playing really well.

I'm losing patience but have enjoyed the rebuild. I've got until we don't make the finals next year to keep the faith in the trajectory. But considering where the club was gives Nicks a couple of extra years in my book, ie write off 2020 and 2021 as the culture rebuild which had to happen first.

The club has backed him in, no point sitting here praying for losses. Life is too short to sit here in a negative mindset. So until we start losing again, I figure I may as well just enjoy the ride for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that was true wouldn't the older guys have turned on him by now? Because he would have sold them a lie

Michael Voss did the exact same thing at the start of last season with Carlton. And he is on his second go round

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Once again the comparisons between Voss and Nicks are silly. Nicks is considerably worse.

There are only two coaches that can be compared to Nicks - Richardson and Dew.

How many coaches have turned over 2/3rds of a list in 5 years? 16 players still on our list from 2019. Includes the OOC EH, hamill, mchenry, Tex and the retired Rory Sloane. He came in to a list that was a basket case with a culture to match. The fact we nearly made finals last year was impressive...

I have been frustrated at times with him and been called a happy clapper on x many times. If he doesn't make finals next year then it's time to move on, I'm hopeful this year is just growing pains

Line up all the coaches… split into two groups of successful vs unsuccessful.

Now look at the first 5 years of each group … which group is Nicks aligning with?

I’d be shocked if it was the successful group.

How long do you give a coach to show their best? Is there a measure out there that rings true?

What is the trigger point that a coach can call it “theirs”. Is it time or regular season games or finals or a number of wins or list composition?

I’m just at the point where I have not seen it yet, I haven’t seen what we are aiming to be in any consistent way. We seem to be throwing darts at a board we can’t see.

Maybe he is the one, maybe he is about to turn into a butterfly … but my years of watching this team in this league tell me to be less optimistic!!

Line up all the coaches… split into two groups of successful vs unsuccessful.

Now look at the first 5 years of each group … which group is Nicks aligning with?

I’d be shocked if it was the successful group.

How long do you give a coach to show their best? Is there a measure out there that rings true?

What is the trigger point that a coach can call it “theirs”. Is it time or regular season games or finals or a number of wins or list composition?

I’m just at the point where I have not seen it yet, I haven’t seen what we are aiming to be in any consistent way. We seem to be throwing darts at a board we can’t see.

Maybe he is the one, maybe he is about to turn into a butterfly … but my years of watching this team in this league tell me to be less optimistic!!
So if your mind is made-up .....why are you throwing questions out still ?

The matter has been debated infinitum .....and your position already declared long ago, with other luminaries

If you don't know how to judge a coach ....I'm not seeing any purpose to this post, except maybe an escape plan

Outside of Tex, which senior players didn't/aren't just withering and dying on the vine though? Us not bottoming out to the same extent as North isn't due to a resurgent energy amongst our senior cohort, it's in spite of our senior cohort. Tex aside, he's been magnificent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back