Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that infuriates me is Nix seems to think you can't make a finals tilt whilst introducing fresh faces into your side. It's bollocks.

It’s deliberate club strategy. We had to play experienced plodders in the 19-22nd selected because we were always around the finals contending. And now we have to play them because we’re rebuilding. We’re just average in all phases because we embrace average.

I think that’s partly down to us doing a more gradual clear out of our older players to that of North.

Has mean we’ve been more competitive, but haven’t had as good draft picks.

Time will tell which approach was better.
Have we been more competitive though?

Than North? Yeah sure. But for what? If our rebuild get us a ceiling of a Prelim, whereas if North get a Premiership list together with their plethora of picks - then they win.

Have we been more competitive though?

Than North? Yeah sure. But for what? If our rebuild get us a ceiling of a Prelim, whereas if North get a Premiership list together with their plethora of picks - then they win.

My post was saying we’ve been more competitive than North, and more competitive than we would have been if we dumped the Sloane, Lynch, Talia types all in one go.

Not saying that we have necessarily done the right thing, I can see arguments for both sides. Time will tell.

Nicks is a deadset w*er. Quicker this ****** is gone, the better.
We need to make a top 5 I have got Nix.

1. Preseason change our fast moving winning game plan to a slow moving losing one, cooking our season within the 1st month.

2. Allowing the opposition's best defender to roam by themselves to dominate BOG. Stewart, Pearce, etc.

3. Don't bother cooling a midfielder running hot who is taking control of the game. Neale loves Nix.

4. Continued selection of poor performing older players. Smith & Murphy have both shown you can be crap in nearly every game, but selection is guaranteed no matter.

5. The other side of the coin is it takes an injury for a form younger player to get a chance.... & even then there is no guarantee as this week has shown with Dawson out & the non-selection of Curtin even off the back of great form in the SANFL.

1. Preseason change our fast moving winning game plan to a slow moving losing one, cooking our season within the 1st month.

2. Allowing the opposition's best defender to roam by themselves to dominate BOG. Stewart, Pearce, etc.

3. Don't bother cooling a midfielder running hot who is taking control of the game. Neale loves Nix.

4. Continued selection of poor performing older players. Smith & Murphy have both shown you can be crap in nearly every game, but selection is guaranteed no matter.

5. The other side of the coin is it takes an injury for a form younger player to get a chance.... & even then there is no guarantee as this week has shown with Dawson out & the non-selection of Curtin even off the back of great form in the SANFL.
That's enough for instant dismissal in my book 🤣

Fremantle are the 17th most experienced list in the league. We are 15th with an average of 5 games more per player, going in to 2024

Average is often a flawed statistic.

Fremantle:

201+: 2
101-200: 9
51-100: 11

Adelaide:

201+: 4 (including Sloane, who is already retired)
101-200: 5
51-100: 13

Our average games is heavily skewed by those 4 players.

If you also look deeper and look at who the key talent pieces are and how much experience they have, we are less experienced than Freo.

Average is often a flawed statistic.

Fremantle:

201+: 2
101-200: 9
51-100: 11

Adelaide:

201+: 4 (including Sloane, who is already retired)
101-200: 5
51-100: 13

Our average games is heavily skewed by those 4 players.

If you also look deeper and look at who the key talent pieces are and how much experience they have, we are less experienced than Freo.

I posted our experience profile as a graph compared to Fremantle and it's very similar

The best you can say is player 10 to 15 at Fremantle has about 20 games more experience. That's not all that significant

Nicks MO 100%. Our board is probably thinking how to extend his tenure already. :cry:

I posted our experience profile as a graph compared to Fremantle and it's very similar

The best you can say is player 10 to 15 at Fremantle has about 20 games more experience. That's not all that significant
Fremantle is a few years ahead of us with their rebuild so a year's worth of games is significant for young players especially wasting games on McHenry and Murphy, Jones was on that list until last year (arguably he has returned to that list given his major regression admittedly caused by the Lisfranc injury).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year we won 11 and lost 12 so we didn’t have a winning game plan. Against Geelong Stewart had Pedlar assigned to him which wasn’t successful but he did try to to man him up. All coaches make moves and some work and others don’t. For example Blight put Mark Bairstow on Peter Matera in a Grand Final and Matera was best on ground. The major strength Nicks has is that the players believe in him and his game plan and he has built a united group. I think this is the most important thing a coach do. Look at the difference between Robert Shaw who was acknowledged as a good tactical coach but the Crows players didn’t respect him and were not united under him. The next year Blight united the group and success followed. The same happened from 2017 to 2018.

Last year we won 11 and lost 12 so we didn’t have a winning game plan. Against Geelong Stewart had Pedlar assigned to him which wasn’t successful but he did try to to man him up. All coaches make moves and some work and others don’t. For example Blight put Mark Bairstow on Peter Matera in a Grand Final and Matera was best on ground. The major strength Nicks has is that the players believe in him and his game plan and he has built a united group. I think this is the most important thing a coach do. Look at the difference between Robert Shaw who was acknowledged as a good tactical coach but the Crows players didn’t respect him and were not united under him. The next year Blight united the group and success followed. The same happened from 2017 to 2018.
What? A lot of the games we loss were against the top teams which is why most thought we were a good chance of playing Finals this year, Nicks changed the game plan this year to be more defensive as he thought this was needed to take the next step and then later admitted he went to defensive focus after starting 0-4 and had to tweak it.

No they ain't.

Nicks took over the 10-12 Crows.
Longmuire took over the 9-13 Dockers.

Very similar list profiles and age demographic. Its probably the most damning comparison for Nicks.
Actually, I was incorrect. Their rebuild is 5 years ahead of ours and not a few years, Pyke was still trying to make Finals in 2018 and 2019.

1722053993025.png

For example Blight put Mark Bairstow on Peter Matera in a Grand Final and Matera was best on ground.
Ok I admit it was a long time ago in brain cell usage but I didnt mind Bairstow - though iirc Matera had size on him - Blights other option was Riccardi and I figure he gambled that Riccardi would do as much damage as Matera

Just on the opposite side of the ground
The major strength Nicks has is that the players believe in him and his game plan and he has built a united group. I think this is the most important thing a coach do.
Yes and no. I dont subscribe to the idea that the players change the game plan themselves but I wonder why Nicks has 2 game plans when 1 is clearly more productive
Look at the difference between Robert Shaw who was acknowledged as a good tactical coach but the Crows players didn’t respect him and were not united under him. The next year Blight united the group and success followed. The same happened from 2017 to 2018.
There was a lot - a lot - of Anti-Vic bias then. Ironically media hounded Cornes out because '' we need a Victorian'' was very prominent then went cold on Shaw and I think that permeated through those who were Cornes players and how they white anted Shaw

It didnt help Shaw thought he could coach

Yeah Ross Lyon started the rebuild.
What do you call getting low picks in multiple consecutive years not received from trading out best 18 players? You don't think Simpson started the West Coast rebuild in the last few years then why is everyone saying West Coast is in a rebuild after they finished near the bottom for multiple consecutive years? Arguably, Longmuir benefited from Fremantle being in a rebuild for a few years before he took over whereas Nicks didn't, he inherited a list which had to be rebuilt from scratch with the poor 2018 and very poor 2019 drafts.

Last edited:
Ok I admit it was a long time ago in brain cell usage but I didnt mind Bairstow - though iirc Matera had size on him - Blights other option was Riccardi and I figure he gambled that Riccardi would do as much damage as Matera

Just on the opposite side of the ground

Yes and no. I dont subscribe to the idea that the players change the game plan themselves but I wonder why Nicks has 2 game plans when 1 is clearly more productive

There was a lot - a lot - of Anti-Vic bias then. Ironically media hounded Cornes out because '' we need a Victorian'' was very prominent then went cold on Shaw and I think that permeated through those who were Cornes players and how they white anted Shaw

It didnt help Shaw thought he could coach
Bairstow was an on baller and started on the wing. The older players (particularly McDermott) grew tired of Cornes. Robert Shaw lost the players because he was old style fire and brimstone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back