Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said senior players acted like fools?

I think it only has dawned on people through the experience around modern football that Shaw actually did do some things really well and development was key and as such, over time he has been credited with developing a lot of the young talent. Jarman owes Shaw an apology. Through Sanfl culture Jarman was correct through his semi pro experience but in AFL professional terms, Jarman was incredibly wrong and lacked the understanding required about development. Not to mention he should have been sacked by the club as soon as it was found out he refused to play when selected and then his public comments. Like told to clear out his locker sacked then next day. Inexcusable that behavior. Really would have been a kick in the guts to Shaw.

Not to mention his run in with Modra. Hate to say it, but the club should have suspended Modra too for his altercation with Shaw. Sign of the times back then I guess. One incident went unpunished and other players probably felt they could openly disrespect the coach too and the media back the players. So on it went.

He said an entitled sense of behaviour.

Not to mention his run in with Modra. Hate to say it, but the club should have suspended Modra too for his altercation with Shaw. Sign of the times back then I guess. One incident went unpunished and other players probably felt they could openly disrespect the coach too and the media back the players. So on it went.
What was Modra's run in with Shaw?

Gustavsson's sacking might not seem relevant, but bear with me, please?

Early this morning I sent the following to my soccer-mad Pommie mate in Adelaide after the Matildas got beaten by USA:
"1) The Matildas can never-say-die all they want, but without a game plan they're ****ed.
They have no game plan.
They're ****ed.
That's on the Coach.
2) No amount of never-say-die will work based on 28% possession and one, lonely shot on goal in the first half.
3) Heyman is their best striker, more opportunistic than Fowler and a better finisher. Gustavsson doesn't bring her on until half-time, or even later.
Dumb Coaching.
4) They are clueless as to how to defend against set-piece free kicks, from which oppo teams score.
Often.
That's also on the Coach.

Gustavsson has gotta go. ".

Sure enough, later today, Gustavsson's contract was not extended, even after he Coached them to 4th in the last World Cup. Football Australia have done absolutely the right thing.

The Crows have no Game Plan.
They're clueless about how to stop punishing runs of goals against, because Nicks is clueless.
Player selections are cactus.
Like the Matildas, the Crows have not improved.

If only the AFC had the nous/cojones to sack Nicks.
I love the comment from unnamed FA official "It was four years of a taxi driver in the seat of a formula one."

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's had 5 years now, and is the second longest serving coach we've ever had, despite having the worst win-loss percentage of any coach in our history (35.78%, just behind Robert Shaw on 38.64%). Enough is enough.

Part of the reason we lack experience in the mid mix is because Nicks hasn't been developing mids. He keeps going back to the same players. It's great that Taylor and Dowling are improving, but they'd be further ahead if he'd played them earlier. The only reason guys like them and Curtin are even getting a game is because Dawson, Crouch and Smith were all injured. The fact that they're even talking about rushing Crouch back in from injury for the last few dead rubber games of the season rather than spending those games on giving experience to a younger player speaks volumes about just how lacking in anything resembling a clue our coaches have.

While it's good that Nicks seems to have finally put a line through McHenry's name, you have to wonder what he thinks he's getting from playing Murphy that he couldn't get from a young player who would benefit more from the experience. I'm sure Ryan or Edwards could probably have got pretty close to Murphy's 9 touches last week, and would have benefited a lot more from getting the game under their belt. You can't rebuild if you don't actually put the games into the younger players.
I think the reason the mids haven't been developed is because Nicks straight out doesn't rate them as either good enough or ready - rightly or wrongly. This is evident by playing Soligo as a mid, he finally rated one and picked him.

I'm sure (but still, somehow not confident) we will get a top midfielder next year, likely through the draft. So if that's Draper, we will have Draper, Soligo, Rankine, Dawson, Laird and Crouch. Taylor, Dowling, Curtin and Edwards will have to win their spots and I can't see Berry being part of the team. Schoenberg I have no idea, but he hasn't moved into the the first choice in his five years.

If we reshuffled, we could be rotating Dowling wing, Rankine forward, Laird half back and Dawson swingman, with just Crouch, Draper, one of Taylor/ Curtin/ Edwards as permanent mids, 2 of which would be depth/ high forward/ backs until Crouch leaves/ is surpasses.

So I don't agree we should have been playing mids much more than we have, 10 games is not much in the scheme of things. The rebuild always targeted the midfield last, giving time to develop the forwards and defenders. The midfield is the missing piece, but one that has been addressed the last three years (plus this year) - Dawson (end of 2021), Rankine (2022), Curtin (2023) and Draper?? (2024).

I think trying to find logic on any of Nicks decisions is just futile. The guy's a complete moron. The sooner we see the end of him the better.
If anyone still thinks he is a smart coach, then they are very easily pleased...

I have reached my limit watching this dumbarse ruin our team.

He will not suddenly get a higher IQ for future seasons.

Says so much about those who extended him.

If anyone still thinks he is a smart coach, then they are very easily pleased...

I have reached my limit watching this dumbarse ruin our team.

He will not suddenly get a higher IQ for future seasons.

Says so much about those who extended him.

Well who knows. Maybe the club will see it out till the end of the season have an indepth review in secret and come to the sane conclusion to remove his arse.

Thread drift warning...

I saw the interview with Burns tonight and... I swear he's working on a third chin this last month.

So, is he hanging out with Fud, Dew and Billy Brownless and hitting it all up on the corporate credit card because he's going to be the scapegoat for this year?

Thread drift warning...

I saw the interview with Burns tonight and... I swear he's working on a third chin this last month.

So, is he hanging out with Fud, Dew and Billy Brownless and hitting it all up on the corporate credit card because he's going to be the scapegoat for this year?
Felt like we had 6x Burns in our forward line last week as the Hawks just waltzed out with the ball.

He's taken keeping shape to a whole new level...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Adam Kelly interview today is deeply disturbing, Matt crouch inclusion he explained it as because he is the upmost professional and his form was good 2 months ago, then Rowe finally asked why spud Murphy is still in the team and he said he is not expected to get a lot of the football he helps to defend the ground - the non statistical role, this club is 100% ****ed, there is no hope; absolutely soul destroying stuff.

Thread drift warning...

Imagine how Stewy Dew feels. First, Sizzler now Carl's Jnr.

The Adam Kelly interview today is deeply disturbing, Matt crouch inclusion he explained it as because he is the upmost professional and his form was good 2 months ago, then Rowe finally asked why spud Murphy is still in the team and he said he is not expected to get a lot of the football he helps to defend the ground - the non statistical role, this club is 100% ****ed, there is no hope; absolutely soul destroying stuff.
Listening to our club leaders speak, it's no surprise how mediocre as are... as they don't even know they have nfi!

Yeah it’s the vibe, it’s the shape

Listening to our club leaders speak, it's no surprise how mediocre as are... as they don't even know they have nfi!
it’s a disgrace, we can only hope that get belted the last 4 games and we have no choice but to start sacking people. This football club is totally underground

A club full of cowards is what it is. It's not something I wanna support.

I think trying to find logic on any of Nicks decisions is just futile. The guy's a complete moron. The sooner we see the end of him the better.

I equate him to someone who has read a book about a topic OR done a weekend course OR listened to a podcast OR watched someone ELSE do something at a high level.

It’s like he’s playing the role of head coach in a play - he’s blowing his whistle - he’s pointing at the players - he’s trading his MG for a white Chrysler Le Baron! (Sorry mind drifting there)

He’s what is referred to in scientific communities as … a ****ing fraud.

Unfortunately, he seems to be surrounded by people in similar delusions. The emperor has no clothes on - but nor does anyone else in the room.

It’s why I wanted someone like Ross Lyon last time around - or even an Adam Simpson next time around. Someone who has actually done it - who will not stand by and accept the ruse … our club is NOT good at finding the right attributes in new candidates, we are ordinary at it. We should just stick to those that have proven skills and results on the board.

I equate him to someone who has read a book about a topic OR done a weekend course OR listened to a podcast OR watched someone ELSE do something at a high level.

It’s like he’s playing the role of head coach in a play - he’s blowing his whistle - he’s pointing at the players - he’s trading his MG for a white Chrysler Le Baron! (Sorry mind drifting there)

He’s what is referred to in scientific communities as … a ****ing fraud.

Unfortunately, he seems to be surrounded by people in similar delusions. The emperor has no clothes on - but nor does anyone else in the room.

It’s why I wanted someone like Ross Lyon last time around - or even an Adam Simpson next time around. Someone who has actually done it - who will not stand by and accept the ruse … our club is NOT good at finding the right attributes in new candidates, we are ordinary at it. We should just stick to those that have proven skills and results on the board.
Haaa! Deep Cut...of Cake 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back