Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunkley yesterday saying he'd do anything for that team, play anywhere, any role.

Berry saying they let the young players do their thing, be themselves, play with freedom and flair. We have their backs and will support them no matter what.

Meanwhile....
Genuine authentic culture that works and proven in terms of results.

I think we've heard similar come out of Hawthorn of late.

Dunkley yesterday saying he'd do anything for that team, play anywhere, any role.

Berry saying they let the young players do their thing, be themselves, play with freedom and flair. We have their backs and will support them no matter what.

Meanwhile....

It’s great to pedal this out when you have won a flag

Let’s not forget there was so many rumours flying around about Brisbane early in the season, including player division, a player punch-up, issues that happened in the pre-season.

No doubt we have issues at our club, player talent, player development and coaching however culture is not one of them.

Our culture has turned around under Nicks, our retention rate of young interstate lads has never been better, despite people keep being up the Rash issue, he absolutely loves the club and coach.

Quality of our football dept remains our biggest issue, what hasn’t been mentioned is Stewy Dew influence since arriving at Brisbane - no coincidence that things turned around since his arrival.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Let’s not forget there was so many rumours flying around about Brisbane early in the season, including player division, a player punch-up, issues that happened in the pre-season.

No doubt we have issues at our club, player talent, player development and coaching however culture is not one of them.

Our culture has turned around under Nicks, our retention rate of young interstate lads has never been better, despite people keep being up the Rash issue, he absolutely loves the club and coach.

Quality of our football dept remains our biggest issue, what hasn’t been mentioned is Stewy Dew influence since arriving at Brisbane - no coincidence that things turned around since his arrival.

The proof is in the pudding, they won the flag. You're not doing that if your culture is shit.

They had a one off event that reportedly happened in the off season that caused a few supposed trust etc issues..
Their culture is obviously so good, they sorted it out, worked things and got to this point.

They didn't have a nuclear meltdown like we tend to do when things go a bit pear shaped.

In terms of the "rumours".. when it's to do with the AFC, the media or random people are full of shit. But Brisbane, it was all true?

Doesnt that mean their culture is indeed strong? That they can have all that and STILL get their season on track and win a flag?

Bad cultures explode good cultures win at all odds

Stewart Dew didnt get into finals let alone a GF and suddenly he is the messiah?

Come on stop shifting blame or kudos . Our culture is shit

The proof is in the pudding, they won the flag. You're not doing that if your culture is shit.

They had a one off event that reportedly happened in the off season that caused a few supposed trust etc issues..
Their culture is obviously so good, they sorted it out, worked things and got to this point.

They didn't have a nuclear meltdown like we tend to do when things go a bit pear shaped.

In terms of the "rumours".. when it's to do with the AFC, the media or random people are full of shit. But Brisbane, it was all true?

The problem with us now is that ever since the 'camp' - we have been completely scared to do anything remotely controversial or daring.

The reason the Rachelle circus was a disaster was that Nicks apparently has spent last 5 years trying to be buddies with the players and be Mr Good Guy and rebuild 'culture' etc etc... Yet that crap happens.

There's more culture in a tub of yoghurt than at the AFC.

We are vanilla, corporate and soul-less at the moment.

The problem with us now is that ever since the 'camp' - we have been completely scared to do anything remotely controversial or daring.

The reason the Rachelle circus was a disaster was that Nicks apparently has spent last 5 years trying to be buddies with the players and be Mr Good Guy and rebuild 'culture' etc etc... Yet that crap happens.

There's more culture in a tub of yoghurt than at the AFC.

We are vanilla, corporate and soul-less at the moment.
I really wish we weren't but you have to be a realist and demand the best.
Especially when it's been so long.

We're a way off contending yet, it's going to be 30 years soon since a Premiership.
I mean, c'mon. We live for how long, and we've had this much of it wiped out with no success.

They’ve got a sack horse thread on the Sydney board
Port board

Beck Bennett Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Our culture remains a massive problem, it's not high performance geared.

I'd take him in a heartbeat. Get him in as coach or coaching director or footy ops manager or just make up some role to put him into.

The man has coached his team to 5 grand finals in the last 13 years. Yeah he's "only" won 1 flag but that's 1 more than we've managed in the last 26 years. And at least when his sides lose GF's he gets them up off the canvas for another crack right away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our culture at the moment includes the public flogging of a young player by senior "leaders". It includes senior players demanding selection and extending their careers when they are clearly cooked. Senior players being allowed to pick and choose training attendance.

In short, our culture is that senior players are untouchable and unaccountable.
You can't cherry pick elements of the culture of an organisation .....I totally agree, the public hanging of Rachele was very poor, I do however support the dressing down, but in private

It seems to me, the players expressing certain rights, are the older ones from the pre-2018 period .....and it's my opinion, following the camp, why we had to dismantle the list ......Jenkins, thinking he was bigger than the Club ...even Betts using the Club for his own personal agenda .....Keath, and Greenwood seeking personal financial security. ect

This year, Laird's sulking and choosing when to go ......these are poor leadership skills, when you are trying to indoctrinate players like Rachele into good habits
You can't let one go, and punish another

They made some good appointments to counter this me, me, me, and the term "prioritising others" reflects the Club's awareness of the issues

We have a ways to go on Club Culture ....but its miles better than in 2018
There'll still be mistakes made ...but it's how you deal with the mistakes

And therein lies the fickleness of supporters .....one game, if he wins, he's a God .....loses, and supporters want him sacked

As I've said, opinions change like the wind

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back