Draft Profile Mature Agers 2024 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone seen much of Matt Johnson from Frankston? 46 goals from 20 games is impressive, and small forwards are highly sort after at the moment.

Do you think he could step up to the next level?
How is his defensive pressure and tackling? Tackle numbers look good.
AussieNick1999 is the biggest Dolphins fan on the site.

Anyone seen much of Matt Johnson from Frankston? 46 goals from 20 games is impressive, and small forwards are highly sort after at the moment.

Do you think he could step up to the next level?
How is his defensive pressure and tackling? Tackle numbers look good.
Could always play for Sandy against the franga, why not.

My man Sam Davidson (Richmond VFL) won the Fothergill-Round medalist as most promising player under 23 in the VFL.
Other finalists (top 5) were Flynn Gentile, George Grey, Sam Davidson, Cooper Craig-Peters, Riley Bice

The smooth moving Bice extremely unlucky as he was named on the (extended) bench for the team of the year whilst Davidson didn't make it.

AFL Draft hopefuls invited for medicals (per News Corp)

Riley Bice (Werribee)
Sam Davidson (Richmond VFL)
Sam Toner (Dandenong Stingrays)
Josaia Delana (GWS Academy)
Oliver Hannaford (GWV Rebels)
Zane Cochrane (Oakleigh Chargers)
Asher Eastham (Gippsland Power)
Xavier Ivisic (Geelong Falcons)
Nash King Calder Cannons)
Jhett Haeata (Sandringham Dragons)

Does anyone have a complete AFL draft combine list.
Don't understand why Bice or Hannaford is not on this list.

Traralgon defender Tye Hourigan looms as a bolter for 2024 AFL draft​

He’s 23, already has four best-and-fairests and a premiership medal to his name — and AFL clubs are taking notice. Meet the country footy defender bound for the big smoke.

The whispers out of Gippsland football are becoming more frequent. AFL clubs are watching Traralgon’s Tye Hourigan — and he may be the bolter in this year’s drafts. The 23-year-old is widely regarded as one of the best players in Victorian country football and it’s believed at least one club had recruiters running an eye over him in the Gippy league grand final three weeks ago.

Hourigan, a 193cm defender, played in Traralgon’s premiership win over Leongatha and claimed his fourth senior best and fairest despite missing a few games with injury. For the third consecutive season he was also named at centre half back in the Gippsland team of the year.

Even as a key backman, Hourigan has sometimes been tagged by rival teams. “I hope so. There’s been different inklings here and there,’’ Maroons coach Troy Hamilton responded to speculation that recruiters were on to Hourigan.

“It would be brilliant for him and brilliant for our club.

“I think he could play in the AFL. He’s the best country footballer I’ve seen. I think he could play in the AFL for sure. He’s 6’3 and a bit, he can play on talls or smalls, he’s an elite mark, he runs a 6:20 2km, he’s got pace, he’s an elite user and he reads the footy better than anyone I’ve seen. There is no weakness.’’

Hamilton said Hourigan was “lame’’ with an ankle injury in a match against Morwell this year, prompting the Maroons to play him out of the goalsquare. He kicked six goals.

Former Traralgon coach Jake Best was similarly effusive when asked about Hourigan.

The former Casey VFL player and Vermont premiership forward called him an outstanding player, “in the best three I’ve ever played with’’. “He’s a star mate,’’ Best said. “He’s a tall intercept defender with great skills and he reads the play like someone I’ve never seen.’’

Hourigan has been named in Traralgon’s best players 49 times in his 65 games in the past four seasons.

An official from an opposition Gippsland league club said of Hourigan: “Everything is one-touch clean. He kicks the footy like a mule – hits a bloke on the chest with a 60m drop-punt – and he’ll pick the ball up at pace below his knees, sidestep someone coming the other way and off he goes. “He’s as good a key position player as I’ve seen at our level.’’

Hourigan was runner-up in Gippsland Power’s 2018 best and fairest and trained briefly with Casey Demons before returning to Traralgon.

VFL clubs have sounded him out in the past two years but he’s been content to play for the Maroons as he completes his university studies to be a schoolteacher.

Hourigan is also an accomplished cricketer, captaining a local A grade team

Traralgon defender Tye Hourigan looms as a bolter for 2024 AFL draft​

He’s 23, already has four best-and-fairests and a premiership medal to his name — and AFL clubs are taking notice. Meet the country footy defender bound for the big smoke.
Seen plenty of him over the last couple of years & he is a star. Happy to hear he is now open to the move after knocking back requests from VFL clubs for the last few years. Without being captain obvious think he fits right in the Tom Stewart mould, hopefully someone picks him up and it translates to the higher level because as the article said, he hardly has a weakness to his game - obviously some may be uncovered at a higher level. Reads the game as well as anyone I've seen outside the AFL and it just seems like everyone's kicking it to him when going inside 50. Great skills and really clean below his knees and is a good size for a third tall/intercepting type. Hasn't been exposed as a forward much but can see him playing there too. Still young enough and has all the tools. Geelong & Melbourne the two clubs most heavily into him but there are others starting to look into him. Good luck Tye!

Seen plenty of him over the last couple of years & he is a star. Happy to hear he is now open to the move after knocking back requests from VFL clubs for the last few years. Without being captain obvious think he fits right in the Tom Stewart mould, hopefully someone picks him up and it translates to the higher level because as the article said, he hardly has a weakness to his game - obviously some may be uncovered at a higher level. Reads the game as well as anyone I've seen outside the AFL and it just seems like everyone's kicking it to him when going inside 50. Great skills and really clean below his knees and is a good size for a third tall/intercepting type. Hasn't been exposed as a forward much but can see him playing there too. Still young enough and has all the tools. Geelong & Melbourne the two clubs most heavily into him but there are others starting to look into him. Good luck Tye!
Sounds like stewart, reckon a geelong would look at him and big gooba at Southport

Harry Boyd has Nominated for this years Draft. Hasn't nominated previous two drafts or in Mid year drafts.
Maybe some AFL interest shown but think has just finished Physio studies so this could be reason

Might be slim pickings for mature ages this year with clubs loading up on kids in a deeper draft and pre Tasmanian raid.
I think more mature agers than ever are being taken that end up playing AFL football.

Id hazard a guess only 4 - 10 mature agers are taken over the National, Rookie drafts, and include the SSP period acquisitions as well

You could easily name 6 guys over 20 who could be drafted and another few who are 1 - 2 years post draft eligible who may get a shot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think more mature agers than ever are being taken that end up playing AFL football.

Id hazard a guess only 4 - 10 mature agers are taken over the National, Rookie drafts, and include the SSP period acquisitions as well

You could easily name 6 guys over 20 who could be drafted and another few who are 1 - 2 years post draft eligible who may get a shot

Agree as a whole, was more talking compared to previous years, think less will get taken

My man Sam Davidson (Richmond VFL) won the Fothergill-Round medalist as most promising player under 23 in the VFL.
Other finalists (top 5) were Flynn Gentile, George Grey, Sam Davidson, Cooper Craig-Peters, Riley Bice

The smooth moving Bice extremely unlucky as he was named on the (extended) bench for the team of the year whilst Davidson didn't make it.
There has been ongoing rumours that the Swans are interested in Davidson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Profile Mature Agers 2024 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back