Oppo Camp Max Lynch (Traded to Hawks 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

We will got a very late pick for him as well.

It's Witts all over again.
Sick of peanuts comparing him to Witts

Witts was obviously a player with great talent but needed time to fill out

Had played 40 afl games and many good vfl matches.

I have enjoyed Max lynchs improvement and honestly would of loved to see him carve a career at the pies.

The ruck position in AFL is one of hardest to crack as most teams have a clear number 1.

Lynch had played 3 games funny how Hawthorn grabbed a similar player from us many years ago in ceglar

My gut feel is Lynch will be a handy ruckman and a journeyman 100 game career

Sick of peanuts comparing him to Witts

Witts was obviously a player with great talent but needed time to fill out

Had played 40 afl games and many good vfl matches.

I have enjoyed Max lynchs improvement and honestly would of loved to see him carve a career at the pies.

The ruck position in AFL is one of hardest to crack as most teams have a clear number 1.

Lynch had played 3 games funny how Hawthorn grabbed a similar player from us many years ago in cellar.

My gut feel is Lynch will be a handy ruckman and a journeyman 100 game career

I meant a ruckman sitting on our list for years and years and when they finally show something we get peanuts for them.

Any other position and we'd probably get more for him than we most likely will. He's our 3rd ruckman and other clubs know that, and that we won't go hard in trying to keep him. He may be comparable to Cameron, but Darcy is a far better forward. Lynch can only take up a rotation spot on the bench if Reg is playing, or be almost a liability up forward. Hopefully he does end up being another Witts for his sake, but he won't if we keep him.

Should have just traded him to Adelaide for two first rounders and a bit.
The only clubs that have these type of deals are Carlton... and they're well documented about their garbage. Sydney got Buddy which is fair.

He should not be on anywhere near that after 1 genuine elite year, because he's been no where near the player he should be for that money.
I could not possibly agree more.

I meant a ruckman sitting on our list for years and years and when they finally show something we get peanuts for them.
Yes,
but he's out of contract and it's in his hands what he does.
We haven't got a lot of say in it.

Should we have contracted him for next year last season or whenever?
No, we didn't hold out much hope for him but as a young ruck maybe we should have speculated more on his type than your average guy.

Our fault

Hey guys - sincerest apologies for the intrusion and if no oppo supporters meant to be here.

But given the news, just wondering what to expect from Lynch if he makes his way over to us?

Cheers and best of luck for next season!

Max has his fans and his detractors... his footballing potential at AFL level is difficult to predict based on very limited exposed form. What you can expect is whole hearted effort and commitment to the team and his team mates. From a cultural perspective Hawthorns gain is our loss...

Personally I'd rather you take Cox.... ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I pick in the high/late 30s-40s? That seems fair enough?

Hawks don’t have one in that range. It’s 24 which is too much and then 59 which is too little consideringwe’ve spent 5yrs getting him to this point.

Future 3rd maybe. Which for the Hawks is about pick 40. We’d have two future 3rds. After Daicos is selected try and turn those two 3rds into a 2nd rd this year.

Hawks don’t have one in that range. It’s 24 which is too much and then 59 which is too little consideringwe’ve spent 5yrs getting him to this point.

Future 3rd maybe. Which for the Hawks is about pick 40. We’d have two future 3rds. After Daicos is selected try and turn those two 3rds into a 2nd rd this year.
Hawks board expecting a pick in the 60s will get it done.

Hey guys - sincerest apologies for the intrusion and if no oppo supporters meant to be here.

But given the news, just wondering what to expect from Lynch if he makes his way over to us?

Oppo supporters welcome here.
What is going on with your board? That Strapping Lad mod seems to be ruling you with a rod of iron!
Anyhow, Lynch will be a great get for you. Wish we could keep him.

Its hard to say. Max just improves every year so it’s hard to know where he will end up. I’m fairly confident he will be a good solid competitive AFL quality #1 ruck, a workhorse type, big strong and willing but I can’t really see him ending up being top 5 or All Australian. His tap work is very good. Second efforts are excellent as he has a big tank, but dont expect pace like NicNat. Work around the ground is still developing. Can take a big grab, but it’s not often enough to be a weapon.

Any other position and we'd probably get more for him than we most likely will. He's our 3rd ruckman and other clubs know that, and that we won't go hard in trying to keep him. He may be comparable to Cameron, but Darcy is a far better forward. Lynch can only take up a rotation spot on the bench if Reg is playing, or be almost a liability up forward. Hopefully he does end up being another Witts for his sake, but he won't if we keep him.
Got to trade him for everyone's sake. We're not in a position to store depth players and I doubt he's going to be good enough to play any role other than ruck. Good luck to him and I hope he makes it, but I don't see why many view him as a cert. Feels like a journey man to me. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't hurdle Reeves. I hope he does though.

I see no reason why his value shouldn't be the same as Lipinski's.

Will be very disappointed if we hand him over for peanuts again
Why would it be the same as a guy who has over 50 AFL games and is a mid?

I see no reason why his value shouldn't be the same as Lipinski's.

Will be very disappointed if we hand him over for peanuts again

I think you are in the minority. You seem stuck on fact Lapinski can’t get a game at Dogs, but not Lynch can’t get a game for us.

On every measure: original draft pick, games played, skill, played game as a kid, talent Lapinski has it all over Lynch. If we get a pick for Lynch in the low 40s it will be robbery. But let’s hope.

Should have just traded him to Adelaide for two first rounders and a bit.
The only clubs that have these type of deals are Carlton... and they're well documented about their garbage. Sydney got Buddy which is fair.

He should not be on anywhere near that after 1 genuine elite year, because he's been no where near the player he should be for that money.
GWS have both Coniglio, Greene and Kelly, WC have McGovern, Richmond have Dusty and Lynch, Freo have Fyfe, Geelong have Dangerfield and Cameron, Dogs have Bontempelli, Sydney have Buddy and Heney, Hawthorn have Mitchell, St Kilda have Brad Hill, Melbourne have Gawn and Petracca, Crows have Sloane, Lions have Daniher, Port have Wines, Blues have Williams. These guys are all on $800k+, yet many of them (Coniglio, Lynch, Heney, Mitchell, Brad Hill, Sloane, Williams and more) are significantly worse players than Grundy. As much as I wish it were just Carlton who give out ludicrous contracts, it isn't.

Trying to say Grundy had "1 genuine elite year" is simply a dishonest statement.

I think you are in the minority. You seem stuck on fact Lapinski can’t get a game at Dogs, but not Lynch can’t get a game for us.

On every measure: original draft pick, games played, skill, played game as a kid, talent Lapinski has it all over Lynch. If we get a pick for Lynch in the low 40s it will be robbery. But let’s hope.
Reckon it will be pick 59.

Thanks mate and cheers all - appreciate the intel!
The guy has an excellent leap. You can see him jump well above Gawn in the game we played against Melbourne.
Usually in the top 5 in the 2km trial at th eib so can run.
Can absolutely dominate VFL. Only 23 and has a lot of improvement to come. I think he was initially a Cat B rookie coming from a soccer background.
Once his Contested marking comes, he will be a very good ruckman. Probably the most potential of all the rucks currently on offer in the draft.
Still wondering why North thinks Xerri is worth a 2nd round pick. Lynch is so much better than him.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back