Oppo Camp Max Lynch (Traded to Hawks 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Grundys stuffed our cap.
Stuffed our list management in terms of other rucks because of it.

Lynch is far better tap ruckman than Grundy and in two games had better connection with the midfield than grundy for 2 years.

No one will admit it but.
re-signing Langdon and Phillips for bloated contracts when we had both positions covered busted our cap.
they and Cox should have been allowed to walk
Then Langdon and Beams not retiring led to last seasons exodus

Paying Grundy 900 was not the main salary cap issue
Paying the likes of Phillips Cox and Stevo 600 each the bigger issue. And the massive back ended contracts to Sidey Treloar Adams etc
Agreed, the main criticism of Grundy's contract is the length rather than the actual $$$ from 2022-2024

His ability and durability make the length of his contract just fine, it's the dollars that I can't justify, and that's for any Ruckman, not just Grundy

It's only the length for me. He was one of the best value players in the league from 2018-2020, so even if his salary was overs for a few years - the club would have still been well ahead.

You're really just talking about 1 game. And when you break it down, you're really just talking about maybe 6 hitouts to advantage, with a couple of them probably being clean clearances to come to your better connection conclusion. And then when you factor in that Melb wouldn't have planned for him at all, it's a massive stretch to conclude that there will be an ongoing better connection.
The fact is Grundy has been down for a while now, far below his natural level and Lynch has shown big improvement. Grundy at his best is a no brainer in comparison but it's bloody annoying seeing him at his current low ebb-comparatively.

Would love to hang on to him for depth and to even put pressure on Brodie, but if he can find regular senior football elsewhere then I wish him the best of luck.

The fact is Grundy has been down for a while now, far below his natural level and Lynch has shown big improvement. Grundy at his best is a no brainer in comparison but it's bloody annoying seeing him at his current low ebb-comparatively.
Yet that low ebb has him matching Gawn in almost every stat.

Yet that low ebb has him matching Gawn in almost every stat.

Stats can be misleading both ways

Grundy had some incredible match ups this year.

I have not done a full analysis but as one example

Melb v Rich - Gawn is opposed to Nank

Coll v Rich - Grundy is opposed to a hobbling Chol and Pickett.

Coaches votes and maybe B&f finish might give a more accurate reflection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we're all hoping that we'll see a fit and firing Grundy come out this year and play with the sort of freedom and aggression that he once had in his game.

A 2022 largely without COVID-19 restrictions should hopefully go some way to helping him rediscover his mojo in that respect.

Hopefully we can get the points we need to cover a no1 pick for Nick out of this.
Whether part of the Lynch deal or not I’d hope we’d upgrade a couple of our 50s picks to one in the mid-40s for the points. For Lynch my preference would be a future third.

Hey guys - sincerest apologies for the intrusion and if no oppo supporters meant to be here.

But given the news, just wondering what to expect from Lynch if he makes his way over to us?

Cheers and best of luck for next season!

Hey guys - sincerest apologies for the intrusion and if no oppo supporters meant to be here.

But given the news, just wondering what to expect from Lynch if he makes his way over to us?

Cheers and best of luck for next season!
Depends who you listen to. Anywhere between spud and AA ruckman held back by Bucks, Grundys salary, COVID or aliens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Max Lynch (Traded to Hawks 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back