MCG Anzac Day match 2011 , If it was your choice , which 2 teams would play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Being involved in the Anzac Day clash no doubt confers a significant financial advantage to the two teams involved, both in terms of attendance on the day and television exposure for sponsors. Collingwood and Essendon, as original pioneers of the concept, deserved a grace period in which to exploit it. However after nearly 20 years I would argue that this period should be about to expire.

Beginning from next year, I would treat the Anzac Day fixture as a 'play-off' between Collingwood and Essendon for the right to contest the game the following season. Then for each season after the challenger would be randomly selected, on a rotational basis, so that after 18 seasons each team has the opportunity to contest an Anzac Day fixture. The winner each year would be crowned 'Anzac Day Champion', an accolade that may come to sit only below the premiership in terms of prestige.

Won't be worth watching next year it is nearly 1st V last. I hate how the media pump it up with crap throw away lines like "it does not matter where these 2 teams are on the ladder".

I LOVE that line!

Team A could of received a 20 goal belting the round before, had 5 of it's top players suspended and their coach send their gameplan to Team B's coach, but it doesn't matter because these two teams always fight it out to the end.

Being involved in the Anzac Day clash no doubt confers a significant financial advantage to the two teams involved, both in terms of attendance on the day and television exposure for sponsors. Collingwood and Essendon, as original pioneers of the concept, deserved a grace period in which to exploit it. However after nearly 20 years I would argue that this period should be about to expire.

Beginning from next year, I would treat the Anzac Day fixture as a 'play-off' between Collingwood and Essendon for the right to contest the game the following season. Then for each season after the challenger would be randomly selected, on a rotational basis, so that after 18 seasons each team has the opportunity to contest an Anzac Day fixture. The winner each year would be crowned 'Anzac Day Champion', an accolade that may come to sit only below the premiership in terms of prestige.

I like this concept but I also don't have a problem with how it sits at the moment. It will be interesting though next season with anzac day falling at the same time as easter.

And Essendon had a run which I believe was six from seven... again, matters for excatly what?

The concept was in its infancy back then and people were still pumped over the whole Collingwood and Essendon rivalry...me included. Now that the Bombers have done diddly squat since 2001 its all a bit...meh.

I wanna see winners and quality players running around...that is all.

Yeah clearly I'm grasping past glories (as opposed to next to NO GLORY *cough*) by stating unbiased FACT in the results of the games.

And i make idiot statements? Have you noticed the direct correlation between tighter regulations and scrutiny of the Salary Cap and the position you now occupy on the ladder? It's a bit harder to win a flag when you can't buy it eh?

I will happily put a wager on Essendon beating Collingwood on Anzac Day at some stage in the next decade.... idiot statement.

Given that it took your bloke 5 years to knock off my mob (and we aren't even in the same league as Collingwood) is it that fanciful?...you can always pray for rain and another Zaharakis miracle:rolleyes:

An avid footy fan that doesn't watch Anzac Day... you're a hater mate, plain and simple.

Just show your ignorance a bit more mate, i live halfway between sydney and brisbane where we get the friday night game on tv at 11:30pm (if we're lucky) and i sit up til 2:30am watching even though my kids will be up at 5:30...if that's not avid i don't know what is...

If i was campaigning for the Doggies to be on ANZAC Day i could cop your abuse but i'm not...i just want to see the two highest quality teams with the best players running around...blokes like Lenny Hayes deserve the chance to win an ANZAC medal.

I LOVE that line!

Team A could of received a 20 goal belting the round before, had 5 of it's top players suspended and their coach send their gameplan to Team B's coach, but it doesn't matter because these two teams always fight it out to the end.

The line is a terrible throw away line to pump up a game that is going to be one sided. You could link any 2 team's together and throw that line in each time they meet - you will eventually get a close one.

Essendon was embarrased in 2010 and more than likely will be again in 2011 - but we will still get that line!

Sure we created/market Friday night football which your team now requests to be a part of. You keep Anzac day but lose all Friday night games. All good?

Yep youre on a winner.....NOT :cool:

Imagine the bidding for the next lot of TV rights, maybe give Fridays to the bidder who comes up with a half eaten pie & a can of coke.

pffft , carry on..........

Regardless of how much tears are shed in here by jealous opposition supporters, the fact is that the two teams that go to battle on Anzac Day every year will remain as they fill the Grandstands and is viewed by millions all over the world.

In my opinion, this game is better to attend then any other match all year in terms of the atmosphere. Sure, the Grand Final is huge but the majority of people who attend the Grand Final are corporates who do not even barrack for the two teams on that last day in September whereas on Anzac Day at least 90% of people who come through the gates either follow the red and black or the black and white. You cant beat that.

Its an awesome day with 2 of the most successful sides in the league battling it out on the greatest sporting stadium in the world with pretty much the entire state as well of certain parts of the country watching on. Yeah, I would be pretty jealous too of Essendon and Collingwood.

Its always going to stay that way though so why even waste your time arguing against it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port v Fremantle.

or if it had to be between two Melbourne clubs, Melbourne v North Melbourne.

Looking forward to either of those ...

FFS, It is only a blockbuster / special event because Essendon and Collingwood play it. To expect the same 'event' regardless of who plays is deeply stupid.

Port v Fremantle.

or if it had to be between two Melbourne clubs, Melbourne v North Melbourne.

Looking forward to either of those ...

FFS, It is only a blockbuster / special event because Essendon and Collingwood play it. To expect the same 'event' regardless of who plays is deeply stupid.

So if Carlton and Collingwood played it then it would lose its blockbuster status even though these 2 team have the greatest Vic rivalry?

The concept was in its infancy back then and people were still pumped over the whole Collingwood and Essendon rivalry...me included. Now that the Bombers have done diddly squat since 2001 its all a bit...meh.

Essendon's six from seven run ended in 2005, and played finals all the way up to 2004..... is it embarassing being as ill informed as you?

I wanna see winners and quality players running around...that is all..

Good for you, quietly confident I saw a premiership side playing on Anzac Day this year, and that side was seeking revenge from the heart-breaker the year before. The 90,000 at the ground seemed reasonably enthused about being there - but obviously you know better then them hey?

And i make idiot statements? Have you noticed the direct correlation between tighter regulations and scrutiny of the Salary Cap and the position you now occupy on the ladder? It's a bit harder to win a flag when you can't buy it eh?

Yeah and I sob quietly into the many flag replicas available..... hell on a level playing field you blokes can't win one..... :eek:

Given that it took your bloke 5 years to knock off my mob (and we aren't even in the same league as Collingwood) is it that fanciful?...you can always pray for rain and another Zaharakis miracle:rolleyes:

Sure why not, I'm sure he'd enjoy it. And is that fanciful? I'll happily take a bet with you or anyone else mate where your account is deleted on the day within the decade that Essendon beats Collingwood on Anzac Day.

Just show your ignorance a bit more mate, i live halfway between sydney and brisbane where we get the friday night game on tv at 11:30pm (if we're lucky) and i sit up til 2:30am watching even though my kids will be up at 5:30...if that's not avid i don't know what is...

Like I said earlier you clearly know better then everyone else who elects to watch the most highly attended, highest rating H&A game on the calendar.

If i was campaigning for the Doggies to be on ANZAC Day i could cop your abuse but i'm not...i just want to see the two highest quality teams with the best players running around...blokes like Lenny Hayes deserve the chance to win an ANZAC medal.

You already get that on Grand Final day, but I tell you what I'll do you and Lenny a favour - if you really want to see him play on Anzac Day then I guess we can squeeze him in to our midfield :D

i would love to see North and the western bulldogs have it for the next 5 years

would be interesting to see how long they would take to kill it as a spectacle

Five years? Do they have enough combined supporters to fill the 'G in the first year? :rolleyes:

At quarter time there was only 60k left and 95% of viewers had changed channels to watch lawn bowls on the ABC.

whats your point?Any game can be a fizzer.Look at the GF replay.It doesnt matter what the date or occasion.Once the ball is bounced anything can happen

At least Collingwood vs essendon Anzac day will still always be a event no matter the result or where the teams are on the ladder.

Remove this Banner Ad

MCG Anzac Day match 2011 , If it was your choice , which 2 teams would play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back