McKernan A Certainty Next Year

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough. I didn't think (or hope) he would get the lemon & sars this year but would be surprised if he continued beyond 2005.

With Corey, Sav, Arch and Colbert all likely to have ONE year left, it'll be very tough at the end of 2006 unless Corey and Sav have dynamite years and can go on.

Of the 6 players 29+, I would have preferred 3 go this year and 3 next year, but if it turns out being 2 players a year across three years, it would be even better. Just hope it's not 4 next year!

Writing may be on the wall for Mark Porter though, with Corey's commitment to 2005.

I would still feel more comfortable if Ports played on with a reduced deal, but hopefully Corza can get a strong preseason under his belt and go from there.

steveo1010 said:
Thats a real shame, looks like more crap the corey for the whole of next season as well....
Looks like more crap the Corey? Interesting...

I was happy with McKernan from Round 19 onwards, and with our lack of quality ruckman at Arden Street we can't afford to allow McKernan to retire yet. Watching those last few games, McKernan is still capable of dominating the ruck (which has improved out of sight), go forward and kick one or two goals a game and quite simply give Harris, Simpson and Wells first use of the football.

McKernan easily out-performed Porter in the ruck this year. The problem with us supporters is we expect McKernan get back to his 96 form but are happy with Porter when he just works up a sweat.

One of Laidley's mistakes this year is he started McKernan as a forward. He must be played in the ruck.

You would have be thinking that after Corey is going to stay, Stevo gone, Kingy gone, both Robbins and Shane Clayton would be the next on the delisting. Baird would also be close to moving on aswell.

yeh he's a sure thing you just have to look at some of the things he did in the last 5 weeks of the year.....he contributed in basically every game .....not like some others.....jyd said he was playin for his career i wonder what some of the others were playin for because there were a few passengers at the end of the year.....

Corey is obviously not a long-term solution, but keeping him tells me that North think its unlikely we can pick up a good ruckman that is out of contract or that we are going to be playing Hale and McIntosh so much next year that there is no point worrying too much about other options.

1jasonoz said:
You would have be thinking that after Corey is going to stay, Stevo gone, Kingy gone, both Robbins and Shane Clayton would be the next on the delisting. Baird would also be close to moving on aswell.

Overheard Ben Robbins at a club function state that this was his last year. He's was pretty much aware that this was his last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1jasonoz said:
Baird would also be close to moving on aswell.
His future at North will most likely hinge on the Colbert decision. If Colby goes, then we would be taking a massive gamble in moving Baird on as well.

Well we have our "required" 4 out this season...

Out
Anthony Stevens (Ret)
David King (Ret)
Ben Robbins (Delisted)
Shane Clayton (Delisted)

This gives us room for our first four draft picks, therefore I believe Jeremy Clayton and John Baird are safe, but if one were to go Clayton looks vulnrable due to the amount of small forwards/midfielders we have compared to Baird's attributes, though I would prefer to have Jeremy Clayton on the list.

I don't think it's as easy as delisting just the bare minimum. With a long term plan in place it may be necessary to delist/trade (or force into retirement) a couple of other players who are not likely to push for a regular spot next year.

J.Clayton is gone I think. The fact that he is BOG for Port almost every week and wasn't promoted while Harding/S.Harvey couldn't cement a spot, suggests that a) he's deemed not to be able to make the higher grade or b) there are significant off field issues. Unfortunately gawn.

Baird looks to have run his race too. Doesn't play tall enough, and is not quick. Not the hardest type to cover for 2005, seeing that Le Cras, Perry and Chad Jones are all options to play on a mid sized forward or third tall. May get a fourth rounder for Baird.

Personally I wouldn't delist Mark Porter, but I doubt he is a major part of next year's plans and would be kept as a back-up only. May yet get the arse if we do an early trade for a second or third string ruckman from another club.

benno87 said:
Well we have our "required" 4 out this season...

Out
Anthony Stevens (Ret)
David King (Ret)
Ben Robbins (Delisted)
Shane Clayton (Delisted)

This gives us room for our first four draft picks, therefore I believe Jeremy Clayton and John Baird are safe, but if one were to go Clayton looks vulnrable due to the amount of small forwards/midfielders we have compared to Baird's attributes, though I would prefer to have Jeremy Clayton on the list.
What on Earth gives you the idea that we will only delist/retire the bare minimum?? Our list is ordinary at best and needs some significant turning over of players. J.Clayton is as good as gone - it just needs to be made official. Baird will only stay if Colby retires, even then he still may get the flick.

Le Cras, Porter, S.Harvey and Harding are all by no means safe either.

We will no doubt have a huge clean out . I have no problem with McKernan staying on as long as he plays in the ruck and doesn't stuff up the forward line. He is a useless player but we are so bad that we need someone to take a hiding to protect the young Hale . We can't let Hale get bashed so McKernan must play. . Porter must go of course because he is hopeless and we just need to protect the young talls for another year until they can walk alone. Corey must stay.

Angus1 said:
We will no doubt have a huge clean out . I have no problem with McKernan staying on as long as he plays in the ruck and doesn't stuff up the forward line. He is a useless player but we are so bad that we need someone to take a hiding to protect the young Hale . We can't let Hale get bashed so McKernan must play. . Porter must go of course because he is hopeless and we just need to protect the young talls for another year until they can walk alone. Corey must stay.

Gee i must be getting soft cos i agree with everything you just said Angus. Other teams still have to waste a big mobile guy on him and at least he can kick a goal which is more than we can say for Porter.

daggles said:
Gee i must be getting soft cos i agree with everything you just said Angus. Other teams still have to waste a big mobile guy on him and at least he can kick a goal which is more than we can say for Porter.
Unfortunately Daggles we are all getting soft. It is spreading through North Melbourne like a virus. Laidley in his 2 years has made us all feel very soft with not much hope of standing tall. We are forced to look at ways of not getting any worse rather then getting a lot better. That will take a few more years unless we can recruit some good 25 year old players.

Remove this Banner Ad

McKernan A Certainty Next Year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back