Rumour McLean Out For The Year

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll give you 10 minutes then come back with your own answer :rolleyes:

I'm gunna need some help here Gilly...

Not sure how a player can be judged one of the best on the ground then dropped to work on some issues. Could the issues not be worked on in the seniors?? Are we putting our season at risk by dropping our "best" players to work on things. Will judd be improving his kicking in the ants in the coming weeks?

It's quite possible that despite playing well and the role asked of him that there was one aspect of his game that the MC weren't happy with. Perhaps asking a player to focus or concentrate on one part of his game is at odds with the role they need played in the seniors the following week, thus working on it in the safety of the magoos where you don't compromise the 4 points? Or perhaps they just wanted to monitor his injuries/workload/time on ground for a week? I don't know the answer, but they are valid possibilities I would have thought

It's quite possible that despite playing well and the role asked of him that there was one aspect of his game that the MC weren't happy with. Perhaps asking a player to focus or concentrate on one part of his game is at odds with the role they need played in the seniors the following week, thus working on it in the safety of the magoos where you don't compromise the 4 points? Or perhaps they just wanted to monitor his injuries/workload/time on ground for a week? I don't know the answer, but they are valid possibilities I would have thought

Fair enough

Not sure how a player can be judged one of the best on the ground then dropped to work on some issues. Could the issues not be worked on in the seniors?? Are we putting our season at risk by dropping our "best" players to work on things. Will judd be improving his kicking in the ants in the coming weeks?

Did Waite or Robinson spending time in the Bullants to work on things ruin our season? They've both been brilliant since returning.

Did Scotland, Russell or Houlihan gain nothing from spending time with the Bullants last year?

Think before you post.

Ever thought the thing he had to prove to selectors might be just that he can get through a whole game?

I thought Mclean was really good against the WC. He was dropped for the next match. I would have had him in one of our best for sure. However, in football clubs a lot goes on that we don't see. I don't know what his instructions were for that match or how well he carried them out. He did not get much game time either which might indicate the coaching staff were not that happy with him throughout the game but he was getting the ball, was dishing it out, and other than a couple of set-up issues at the stoppages, seemed to be doing his job - of course, not knowing what his job was, makes that a rubbish statement but the best I can do with the limited information that I have.

Did Waite or Robinson spending time in the Bullants to work on things ruin our season? They've both been brilliant since returning.

Did Scotland, Russell or Houlihan gain nothing from spending time with the Bullants last year?

Think before you post.

Ever thought the thing he had to prove to selectors might be just that he can get through a whole game?

He got so little game time against WCE, that this could be right - well at least that he was sent back to improve his fitness. If that is right, a couple more games in the 2's is probably in order since fitness does not come in one week (no matter how well he plays).

Think before you post.

Waite came back from a knee.

Russel still wasn't established and robbo is only in his second season, ofcourse he will be in and out.

Scotland and Houlihan had been at our club for ages and were perhaps feeling a little stale, it would be a shame if Mclean "an established player" is not doing the things he should be when starting at our club.

Russel still wasn't established and robbo is only in his second season, ofcourse he will be in and out.

Scotland and Houlihan had been at our club for ages and were perhaps feeling a little stale, it would be a shame if Mclean "an established player" is not doing the things he should be when starting at our club.

And McLean came back from a hip injury.

Did you even read the part that said maybe he had to go back just to prove he can last through a whole game now? He missed three weeks and then only had 58% time on ground against the Eagles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you even read the part that said maybe he had to go back just to prove he can last through a whole game now? He missed three weeks and then only had 58% time on ground against the Eagles.

Fair enough

No doubt that's part of it but according to Lappin:
"He's had to go back and work on some things, just getting across the ground a little bit better and getting quicker with some of his decisions.

First point can be put down to the hip but don't think we can use injury as an excuse for the second point.

I think you need to consider the differences between the structures in the football that you would have played, compared to that of the AFL. It takes a long time to learn. Although he would have been on a crash course throughout the pre-season on Carlton's game, he would still have a lot to learn in game conditions. Remember, for midfields, this is especially hard.

However, I actually don't think this is it. I think that he needs to get more fitness in match conditions and Carlton can't afford the luxury of allowing him to do that in the senior side.

No doubt that's part of it but according to Lappin:

First point can be put down to the hip but don't think we can use injury as an excuse for the second point.

Mostly agree.....but, decision making also goes after a week or two out of the game. You often see poor execution of skills after a week or two out but that is mostly about poor decisions putting skills under more pressure.

Carlton certainly haven't gained from this trade at the moment. His decision making skills are not good, his work rate is poor, and let's not get started on his speed, because there is none......

Hopefully (and it's a big hope), we can put all these things down to injury. because at this stage in time, all I see is, a high draft pick trade for very little return.....

This is certainly possible. I recall Walker being dropped a season or two ago (when he actually strung a few games together) for not following instructions so it could be as simple as that.

ITB release apparently
.....which isn't hip surgery.......

ITB sits on the outside of the thigh, usually causes knee pain, patella dislocations etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour McLean Out For The Year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back