McLeod doesn't feel like past players are welcome at the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

So Roo reckons he spoke with him and asked him why, and Bunjis answer was "Better listen to the podcast"

If that's correct, and it's Roo so take it with a grain of salt, then that's a bit weird.

And there’s the rub. “Better listen to the podcast”. Nothing more than a bit of self promotion. Did anyone know he had a podcast before yesterday? We all do now.

And there’s the rub. “Better listen to the podcast”. Nothing more than a bit of self promotion. Did anyone know he had a podcast before yesterday? We all do now.

That’s not the rub. The rub is that Macca can’t be bothered talking to the brick wall that would be Roo. You know Roo, the guy that put his friendship with Burto ahead of the club and believed he was doing an awesome job.

Just heard his comments.

A bit odd given he still works there.

To me it sounds like most places of employment. You move on. I don't expect to go back to a former workplace and "fit in".

I am mates with ex workmates and we do catch up.

In the Ridings bar we often see ex players having beers together watching the game. Daresay these are not organised by the club, just ex team mates catching up watching the club they played for.

Maybe over the years McLeod has lost those friendships. Maybe he was never close with his team mates?

To me his is sounding a bit precious.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
How can you take this view point given the recent history of our club. We are in the news for all the wrong reasons. Even the review suggested that we have cultural issues. To side with the club by saying that McLeod is sounding precious sounds like burying your head in the sand about whats happened and continues to happen at the club.

Wasn’t there always talk of him leaving for Brisbane after the premiership years. And the fallout with Edwards for the rest of his career (a period the Crows didn’t make a Grand Final when they should have). Now this. A brilliant, wonderful player, but perhaps high maintenance? On this occasion, I think these comments are more a reflection of McLeod than the AFC.

How can you take this view point given the recent history of our club. We are in the news for all the wrong reasons. Even the review suggested that we have cultural issues. To side with the club by saying that McLeod is sounding precious sounds like burying your head in the sand about whats happened and continues to happen at the club.
Fair point.

I guess these kind of things need to be fixed before we can win another Premiership.

The ex players feeling unwelcome at the club probably contributed to our GF loss (choke) in 2017.

It also probably hamstrung our 2018 and 19 seasons.

Ironically, embracing an ex player in Burton is what cost us the 2018 and 19 seasons.

I do get we have cultural issues. Chiefly hiring the wrong people in key positions, and ignoring aspects of current player welfare. As well as pay structure. Lever would be a Crow if we paid him $800k.

But to suggest an ex player feeling unwelcome at the club hampers current onfield success is a stretch.

Especially when I personally see, and talk to, past players at games. Cheering the current players on.

Maybe the club doesn't do enough in this regard. But isn't there a past players group? I guess Bunji is not embraced by this group enough.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Wasn’t there always talk of him leaving for Brisbane after the premiership years. And the fallout with Edwards for the rest of his career (a period the Crows didn’t make a Grand Final when they should have). Now this. A brilliant, wonderful player, but perhaps high maintenance? On this occasion, I think these comments are more a reflection of McLeod than the AFC.
Could just be that we manage our relations with past players as well as we do other things

Wasn’t there always talk of him leaving for Brisbane after the premiership years.

Yeah, to the point of being asked (fairly inappropriately imo) when being presented the yellow jacket, to commit to staying and he mumbled something about it being an issue for his management.

IIRC it was for outrageous cash - something like $200k per year. Madness.

It is a difficult one too in that if you work at the club and are there all the time I imagine the kind of novelty of you being around is lost a bit.

Like Roo isn't going to be bandied about as an Ex-Premiership player, former Brownlow Medal winner, he's there to do a job. It changes the dynamics of your interaction with the club once you start working there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could just be that we manage our relations with past players as well as we do other things
Is it just another non-statistical problem with a club with no-club rooms

I'm not just talking about Fans meeting players, but having somewhere previous players can go to catch up themselves would assist in 'feeling welcome' you would have thought, it also gives current players the opportunity to mingle (outside being directly coache)

I mean, we as fans aren't welcome so I can only imagine ex-players would feel somewhat the same given they are no longer useful on the arena.

Be interesting what Nicks view on this saga would be.

Should this issue fall under Daniel Jackson's remit as well? Or was he a victim of the Covid cuts too?

He's still there, think he mentioned he's in part of the group with access at the moment, possibly looking to take on the runner job as well, rather than just sitting on the bench, with the limited numbers on game day.

Is it just another non-statistical problem with a club with no-club rooms

I'm not just talking about Fans meeting players, but having somewhere previous players can go to catch up themselves would assist in 'feeling welcome' you would have thought, it also gives current players the opportunity to mingle (outside being directly coache)

I mean, we as fans aren't welcome so I can only imagine ex-players would feel somewhat the same given they are no longer useful on the arena.

Be interesting what Nicks view on this saga would be.
It's not like we don't have a board member and players who own venues where they could organise such things if they wanted.

Should this issue fall under Daniel Jackson's remit as well? Or was he a victim of the Covid cuts too?
Considering McLeod isn't a current player I would say Jackson should only be focusing on people currently on the list as a priority, especially given the reduced resources around the club.

Mind you if his issue is with current people like Roo and Jameson then maybe he, Nicks and Kelly need to get involved.

FFS he’s not even A past player. He’s THE greatest player we’ve ever had!!!

he should have his own entrance. Not one just named after him, but only for his use. 24/7
Perhaps him and roo can fight it out for best ever player. Winner gets their own entrance! To make it fair, it can be a chess game. I can just picture the roar of the crowd on that first pawn move!!

The trouble is there's hundreds of past players. Do they all get access to free tickets? I believe we're still the club with the highest number of 11 game memberships in the AFL and we traditionally sell out most, if not all of our games. Unlike the Power or other clubs, we don't have tickets just to throw around willy-nilly.

If you're going to offer free tickets etc then do you offer to every player who's been on our list? Or do you have to have played a game? 50 games? 100 games?

You can't just have ex-players rolling through the place en masse. I think trying to keep ex-players involved and feeling a part of the club is very difficult.

Having said this, if Andrew McLeod is suggesting there's issues, then we have to listen. Rob Chapman needs to be on the blower to Andrew yesterday arranging a long lunch at Magill Estate, or where ever it is bankers schmooze their big clients these days, to have a chat to Andrew about what he means and what he thinks needs to be done to fix it.

The concern is that this has been Jamison's portfolio ever since the members elected him. Bit of a joke really, as IMO the members should be his focus, but thats another story.

Is this simply an extension of the clique type/boys club nature that has plagued our club from the start?
Roo said on radio this morning he called him yesterday. Everyone on this board should listen to Roo’s comments on MMM this morning.

What I take from that is that Macca hasn’t much time for Roo at present.
Did you actually listen? Said it was a long chat, but to say he needs to listen to his podcast for more details screams of someone looking to build his podcast. If there was a major issue, he could’ve told Roo on the phone.

I reckon it shows just how big of a cancer Roo has become.

He comes out and immediately defends the club after the only bloke who could lay a claim to his throne says a negative

He has to go, he is only doing the Board role because it helps him with his Triple M show. He is paid well for fairly average ratings. If he didn't have his board role they would probably cut the show as he doesn't bring much.

He has to go, he is only doing the Board role because it helps him with his Triple M show. He is paid well for fairly average ratings. If he didn't have his board role they would probably cut the show as he doesn't bring much.
I think the opposite is true. He's on the board because he's a local celebrity. Being on a footy board wouldn't matter one bit about getting a radio job.

Did you actually listen? Said it was a long chat, but to say he needs to listen to his podcast for more details screams of someone looking to build his podcast. If there was a major issue, he could’ve told Roo on the phone.
A long chat... but needs to listen to the podcast for more details?

Did they just chat weather and politics and stuff?

Remove this Banner Ad

McLeod doesn't feel like past players are welcome at the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back