Coach McQualter Named As New West Coast Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

All the best to the club/coach. He doesn't strike me as the ruthless sort.. the sort that will demand the players go for a 5am swim on a Sunday morning after a 15 goal loss on the Saturday. But perhaps he connects more with the younger generation than some of the old heads.
I think the days of a 5am swim after a heavy loss are long gone.

Interesting he wins the job and the eagles were also chasing all those tiger players .

Who have now all committed

Got a whiff of tail wagging the dog feel about it
I dont think West Coast are "chasing" those blokes, at least not seriously. Baker is a "table scraps" pickup (despite the Vic media howling for Pick 13, which we dont even have yet) and I think we're playing silly buggers with your mob and trying to push up Bolton's trade currency.

The issue is 3 out those 4 are in your top 5/6 players.
Our list is either very young or very old.
Its rare that 18-21 year olds are better than some genuine star A-grade players in their later years.

We have Waterman and Allen in that middle age bracket who are A-graders now, but nobody else.
Give the kids a chance to develop before talking about our top 5/6 players

half the list was 21 or under this year?
I guess I need to look up you teams playing list.

Well each squad has 38 players on the main squad and 5 or 6 rookie listed players.

So west coast has 22 or 23 players aged 21 or under? Unlikely.

My guess is eagles side has 23 or 24 blokes aged 24 or under and 16 or 17 of them are 22 or under

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well each squad has 38 players on the main squad and 5 or 6 rookie listed players.

My guess is eagles side has 23 or 24 blokes aged 24 or under and 16 or 17 of them are 22 or under
44 on the list, was half aged 21 or under. Definitely 20+ players at that age group when I checked at the time that stat was going around earlier in the year

Thought a big money club like West Coast would have got a bigger name. Very bizarre. I guess he impressed them during interviews.
Define 'Bigger' name.

People also thought 'WTF?' when Simmo was appointed and that worked out pretty well

Also lol at another bottom of the barrel club trying to get a little bit of sloppy #demonspirit seconds.

The real hero at Melbourne Demons is Simon Goodwin and he's not going anywhere chumps!!! Have fun snacking on our leftovers Coasters!!

I suspect he'll be good. Supposed to be smart and is a great connector to the players. When he took over after Dimma he just kept doing the same old things. If he's learnt from that and has ideas of his own then possibly a good pick up.

That Baker and Graham want to go across now he is at WC says a lot about him as a coach.

reckon he will do well, & a nice little rolling start to have Baker / Graham on-board as immediate supporters of his work

Not sure Yze has won the proletariat over at RFC yet

Define 'Bigger' name.

People also thought 'WTF?' when Simmo was appointed and that worked out pretty well
exactly. Which big name was out there? The only big name i would have thought might be a target is Chris scott from the Cats - he might have wanted a change of scenery with a godfather offer. But you have to question the hunger of guys like Clarko, Dimma and Scott - they have done everything. A young hungry coach like Simmo was perfect for WC at the time and i reckon mini will be the same. More than happy with the appt.

IIRC, we have 42 players and I think 17 of them are 21 or under. We'll take out Barrass, Darling and Gaff... and probably Rotham. Edwards is likely to go too (he's 22). At this stage, looks like we are adding Graham and Baker, plus the usual turnover of rookies, etc. Likely to go into the season with around 18-19 at/around 21, out of 42.

So less than half... but still a lot of kids in need of development.

McQualter and Skipworth an underwhelming final two candidates

Obviously playing ability doesn't necessarily translate to coaching ability but I think the senior coach at least needs some presence

Yze and now McQualter, uggh, would be devastated if either were coaching my team
Brisbane just won a flag with some old bloke who never played top-level footy. He took over from hard man ex-AFL players Voss and Leppa and got the club competitive again after those two took a big dump all over the club. Leppa's approach of shirt-fronting his own players didn't really seem to work for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach McQualter Named As New West Coast Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back