Captained the club
300 games
AA
B&F winner
Won flags as an assistant under Clarko
That's a solid foundation to be a coach

The bloke knew about success.
Ah, I don't mean it in that way.

I mean it in the way that he wasn't even talked about as a candidate until very late in the piece and whilst his playing CV was certainly very impressive, most were expecting Sumich to get the nod(including Sumich himself...), so Simpson being appointed was very much a surprise at the time.

44 on the list, was half aged 21 or under. Definitely 20+ players at that age group when I checked at the time that stat was going around earlier in the year
Again... no disrespect to you, I find it hard to believe. Your team finished 9th in 2021. You didnt cull the list in 2021, probably de listed and brought in 4 or 5 blokes in the 2021 national draft.

Its in the 2022 season when your side bottom 2 with a 2 win and 20 loss record when you really went the full youth path.

5 or 6 kids taken in the National draft, not to mention the occasional shot on the rookie list too.

Again... no disrespect to you, I find it hard to believe. Your team finished 9th in 2021. You didnt cull the list in 2021, probably de listed and brought in 4 or 5 blokes in the 2021 national draft.

Its in the 2022 season when your side bottom 2 with a 2 win and 20 loss record when you really went the full youth path.

5 or 6 kids taken in the National draft, not to mention the occasional shot on the rookie list too.
Righto youre gonna make me name them all?

Ginbey, Hewett, Reid, Brockman, Long, Chesser, Hough, A.Reid, Johnston, Trew, Hall, Barnett, Bazzo, JWilliams, Rawlinson, Baker, Livingstone, Maric, Dewar, Burgiel, Culley.
L.Edwards turned 22 in January, so barely misses the cut. The quote was from at the beginning of the season after Edwards turned 22 I believe.

Righto youre gonna make me name them all?

Ginbey, Hewett, Reid, Brockman, Long, Chesser, Hough, A.Reid, Johnston, Trew, Hall, Barnett, Bazzo, JWilliams, Rawlinson, Baker, Livingstone, Maric, Dewar, Burgiel, Culley.
L.Edwards turned 22 in January, so barely misses the cut. The quote was from at the beginning of the season after Edwards turned 22 I believe.
nice.

Better than my mob in 2008. Had the oldest Squad in 2008 only 6 or 7 blokes aged 23 or under. I can even name them all if you want. lol

Brisbane just won a flag with some old bloke who never played top-level footy. He took over from hard man ex-AFL players Voss and Leppa and got the club competitive again after those two took a big dump all over the club. Leppa's approach of shirt-fronting his own players didn't really seem to work for them.
I have to post this Again...

I enjoyed the nuffies on here Bagging out Ross Lyon saying he is too old to win a Flag for the last 5 to 10 years. He is 57 years old now.

Fagan is 63 years old and won his 1st flag as coach of the brisbane lions on the weekend.

McQualter and Skipworth an underwhelming final two candidates

Obviously playing ability doesn't necessarily translate to coaching ability but I think the senior coach at least needs some presence

Yze and now McQualter, uggh, would be devastated if either were coaching my team
You could say the same for Adam Kingsley, not a big name or presence but is clearly a pretty good coach. GWS should have played off in back to back prelims at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McQualter was a Scarlett toe poke and a Milne bounce away from being a dual premiership player for St Kilda in 2009 & 2010. Was there during the tigers 3 flags too. The bloke has been around good teams and from all reports is great with developing young players which is exactly what we need.

Very happy with the appointment.

so why has no one else appointed him in the last 4 years?
To be fair he’s only missed on one job he’s gone for which was the Richmond job. Who knows if he’ll be a success or not but he deserves a chance at it. Every coach hired without previous senior coaching experience is an unknown really, and those with previous success doesn’t guarantee they’ll be successful in their new role.

To be fair he’s only missed on one job he’s gone for which was the Richmond job. Who knows if he’ll be a success or not but he deserves a chance at it. Every coach hired without previous senior coaching experience is an unknown really, and those with previous success doesn’t guarantee they’ll be successful in their new role.

Exactly. Who the hell knows how coaches turn out. Michael Voss, one of the greatest players in the game flamed out as coach at Brisbane where Chris Fagan who never played the game at the highest level just became a premiership coach.

You're never gonna know how you go until you actually do the thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach McQualter Named As New West Coast Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back