News Media Thread, 2023: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't argue that it "stopped" them from doing anything. I argued that the club's focus for the entire year has been on things that are largely outside of it's control, i.e. injuries. The answer to every question asked of every senior leader at the club all year has been put to pivot talking about their injury list. I have never once heard any of them from Simpson to Nisbett to Fitzpatrick admit that any department at the club has underperformed (let alone how they are going to rectify it). They have never admitted publicly, and i highly suspect from watching them closely they have never admitted to themselves privately either, that any of our problems are self inflicted or that their personal performances and the performances of the departments they oversee are just not good enough. If the small handful of old players with chronic injury problems think this will help them and want to do it then go ahead. I think they are wasting their money but that it up to them. As for the club itself, i am sick of hearing them focus on injuries to this group of players and blame everything on that and thereby absolve themselves of any blame for the problems. They have been doing it all year. Just like it was all Covid's fault in 2022. I don't think there will be a platform for sustained improvement at the club until they start taking responsibility and stop looking for external things to blame their problems on.

Since you are such a cheer leader for these club leaders, lets see you defend what is unfolding, i.e. very, very minimal change. They have sacked the fitness guy and the two most junior assistant coaches. And thats it. That is going to be the extent of the change. 5 wins in two years and that is their response. No external review. We don't want one of those because they might tell us things we don't want to hear. Not going to trade out any older players. Not going to publicly criticise the playing group or leadership group. We're just going to sack the fitness guy and two very junior people on Simpson's coaching panel who have no autonomy or decision making authority over anything (and therefore no real culpability for the bad outcomes). And thats it. Thats all they are going to do. Go ahead and defend that.

Well injuries aren’t completely out of their control. That is the point.

3 older players getting expert advice overseas is hardly the whole puzzle, but it is a piece of it. Along with hitting the draft and taking 4-5 picks. Along with looking at suitable trade targets. Along with a solid pre season. Along with further game plan development. Etc etc.

One item will not solve all of our problems, but addressing items both small and large is actually a significant step forward for the club - historically they have ignored a few of the seemingly smaller issues post-season and that has escalated into much larger issues. Injuries, standards, list profile etc.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I didn't argue that it "stopped" them from doing anything. I argued that the club's focus for the entire year has been on things that are largely outside of it's control, i.e. injuries. The answer to every question asked of every senior leader at the club all year has been put to pivot talking about their injury list. I have never once heard any of them from Simpson to Nisbett to Fitzpatrick admit that any department at the club has underperformed (let alone how they are going to rectify it). They have never admitted publicly, and i highly suspect from watching them closely they have never admitted to themselves privately either, that any of our problems are self inflicted or that their personal performances and the performances of the departments they oversee are just not good enough. If the small handful of old players with chronic injury problems think this will help them and want to do it then go ahead. I think they are wasting their money but that it up to them. As for the club itself, i am sick of hearing them focus on injuries to this group of players and blame everything on that and thereby absolve themselves of any blame for the problems. They have been doing it all year. Just like it was all Covid's fault in 2022. I don't think there will be a platform for sustained improvement at the club until they start taking responsibility and stop looking for external things to blame their problems on.

Since you are such a cheer leader for these club leaders, lets see you defend what is unfolding, i.e. very, very minimal change. They have sacked the fitness guy and the two most junior assistant coaches. And thats it. That is going to be the extent of the change. 5 wins in two years and that is their response. No external review. We don't want one of those because they might tell us things we don't want to hear. Not going to trade out any older players. Not going to publicly criticise the playing group or leadership group. We're just going to sack the fitness guy and two very junior people on Simpson's coaching panel who have no autonomy or decision making authority over anything (and therefore no real culpability for the bad outcomes). And thats it. Thats all they are going to do. Go ahead and defend that.
I have narrowed it down to two candidates DT.
You are either Kane Cornes or Gary Lyons.
1 more slip up and I will have you nailed.

Poor old Daniel Pratt, after 10 years is still only “a very junior assistant coach”.

I have narrowed it down to two candidates DT.
You are either Kane Cornes or Gary Lyons.
1 more slip up and I will have you nailed.

Well that's an easy one to figure out if you are down to those 2

DeplorableTrumpster what do you think about your best mates wife?

It's going to be interesting how they explain any sort of improvement next year on the back of;

1) Consistent presence of Kelly, Yeo, McGovern, Barrass, Allen, Duggan, Hunt, Williams, Darling, Cripps
2) Bit part players like Jones, Cole, Sheed, Petch, Witherden filling gaps around and settling into roles and regular games
3) Improvement from Ginbey, Hewett, Long, Hough, Maric, Chesser, JWilliams, HEdwards, Culley
4) Plug and play gains from Robertson and another trade target
5) Immediate impact of either Reid or Curtin

I am tipping it will go along the lines of;

"It just goes to show how good they could have been in the previous 2 seasons, further proof that everyone at the club had let standards slip, further proof we were right in calling for Simpson's head".

Of course had all these improvements come from a new coach next year it would be....

"This validates the call to swap coaches, we said it needed a new voice and this is proof".

It's so predictable.

This is slightly connected, but highlights Darling and just how bad the coaches thought he was

He's right about Gaff and Witho at least.
Witho survives due to a lack of better options atm.
Club loves Gaff, so he isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:
He's right about Gaff and Witho at least
Witho survives due to a lack of better options atm.
Club loves Gaff, so he isn't going anywhere.

Witho played some good games. He actually reminds me of the bloke out of the movie Gattaca. If he plays every game like there's no going back and leaves nothing on the field he makes the grade. As soon as he backs off to 90% effort his lack of physical attributes betray him.

As an aside, the club used to talk up Jacko Nelson's kicking but we never really got to see it in game. I do wonder how his career would have panned out if he was given the use rate, license and the length of rope Witho has enjoyed.

Witho played some good games. He actually reminds me of the bloke out of the movie Gattaca. If he plays every game like there's no going back and leaves nothing on the field he makes the grade. As soon as he backs off to 90% effort his lack of physical attributes betray him.

As an aside, the club used to talk up Jacko Nelson's kicking but we never really got to see it in game. I do wonder how his career would have panned out if he was given the use rate, license and the length of rope Witho has enjoyed.

The problem with Nelson is he'd brace for contact and accept tackles far too easily.

Responsible for too many neutral stoppages in D50 instead of offloading and keeping the ball in our hands.

Kane made comment of Jayden Hunt as a player that barely got a game at Melbourne.

A: He played 20 games in 2021 and was injured during the finals & B: played another 20 games in 2022 before coming to WC....

Clearly did his homework.

He was a pretty astue pickup as we needed pace down back and he was a very good player for us.

Kane made comment of Jayden Hunt as a player that barely got a game at Melbourne.

A: He played 20 games in 2021 and was injured during the finals & B: played another 20 games in 2022 before coming to WC....

He was a pretty astue pickup as we needed pace down back and he was a very good player for us.
Apparently Jayden Hunt was 20th in 2021 and 17th in 2022 at Melbourne.

Kane Cornes just proves that you don't need facts to be a shock jock.

That's a lot of stubbie holders for one of the worst teams in history.

Powerhouse West Coast banked an extraordinary $26,112,310 revenue from its 102,942 signed-up members in 2022.

The Eagles also generated $2,554,980 from merchandise revenue last year for an overall merchandise profit of $451,623.

AFL MERCHANDISE REVENUE LADDER — 2022 FINANCIAL REPORTS​

1. Geelong $3,667,319
2. Melbourne $3,550,198
3. Carlton $3,382,722
4. West Coast $2,554,980
5. Fremantle $2,504,797
6. Brisbane Lions $2,208,571
7. St Kilda $2,042,761
8. GWS Giants $1,956,378*
9. Essendon $1,485,466
10. Hawthorn $1,330,000
11. North Melbourne $1,109,050
12. Adelaide $325,052 (profit, revenue not disclosed)
13. Sydney $556,257 (profit, revenue not disclosed)
14. Gold Coast $353,815
*Giants figure also included membership revenue
** Figures for Port Adelaide, Richmond, Western Bulldogs, Collingwood withheld

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, but even still what difference does it make? Hunt had a good year, are players just not allowed to have good seasons once the media have decided they're no good?

Nothing really new but Mike Sheahan's take on Simmo.

“I’ve got a theory on this, you know I love my theories,” Sheahan said further.

“I think that the West Coast Eagles people decided that ‘Simmo’ is a good man, he’s got success behind him, he’s got credibility and that it’s better to go with Simmo certainly for one more year than put your next best pick in and burn him because the team is so bad.

“What happens if the new bloke comes in, say it was Dean Cox, and they have three bad years - which they certainly could have - that’s the end of Dean Cox.

“There’s the ‘good bloke card’ in footy. In my mind that influences a hell of a lot of decisions.”

Simpson and the Eagles will again be watching on this finals series as they look ahead to a much more fruitful 2024.

“I think that the West Coast Eagles people decided that ‘Simmo’ is a good man, he’s got success behind him, he’s got credibility and that it’s better to go with Simmo certainly for one more year than put your next best pick in and burn him because the team is so bad.

“What happens if the new bloke comes in, say it was Dean Cox, and they have three bad years - which they certainly could have - that’s the end of Dean Cox.

“There’s the ‘good bloke card’ in footy. In my mind that influences a hell of a lot of decisions.”

Simpson and the Eagles will again be watching on this finals series as they look ahead to a much more fruitful 2024.
Its a good hypothesis

Not really covering any new territory as you say, and it's a point of view that some of us on here have been floating for a while now. I'd say it's less about Simmo being a good bloke and more about him being seasoned to the rigours of senior coaching and a good battle shield to protect his players until the worm turns.

Then the keys will be handed to someone fresh and the team will naturally be on the up.

Wasn’t sure the best place to post this but this is quite sad.

Brad Sheppard still suffering from concussion symptoms and has been forced to quit his job in Broome because he can’t look at a screen for extended periods without feeling unwell

Was wondering if it was him or Venners when hearing about an Ex player last night.

Kane Cornes

@kanecornes
·
5m

I’ll save them the cost of an overseas airfare. Eat better, lean up, hire a personal trainer and train everyday in the 14-week holiday, get treatment from good healthcare professionals, recover. Bring your teammates along. Repeat

Haha he still going

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back