Club Focus Melbourne 2023

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

The Forward Line has more than enough talent, they need to get the ball in quicker (quality not quantity), kick straight and get rid of the dead wood.

Van Rooyen (20), Petty (24), Fritsch (27), Pickett (22)

Melksham (32), McAdam (28)

Neal-Bullen (28 jan), Chandler (24 jan), Spargo (24), Billings (28)

Petracca (28 jan)

Jefferson (19)
Brown (31), McDonald (31), Schache (26)

Does anyone else find it mildly amusing that Melbourne are set to draft a bloke with the surname "Windsor"?
Was waiting for someone to mention this haha

Very happy for us to take Curtin at 7 if he's there or field a bidding war of F1sts between WC and Freo.

Pick 7 – Melbourne – Caleb Windsor seems the most unlikely scenario (despite Twomeys prediction)

Melbourne have a lot of reported options on draft day:

- Offer all the picks for Pick 1 - Rejected again.

- Offer pick 6 and 2024 R1 pick for pick 3 or 4 (only if they can get Duursma)

- Keep pick 6 (7) and hope Sanders is available, if not take Curtain

- If the Rumors were true and they don't want Curtain but WCE do trade pick 7 for their 2024 R1 pick (Top 2)
Demons then trade their 2024 R1 pick to the Kangas for pick 18 (will be moved back after bids)
Go to the draft with 11 & 18 or trade them to Geelong for pick 8 and take Windsor.

- Take Curtain or Sanders at pick 6 (7) and Trade pick 11 & 2024 R1 pick to Geelong for pick 8 and take Windsor.

I'm no expert on the Dees, but Windsor seems a good fit for them.

They've got plenty of inside, contested mids, they need more outside run/speed. That's exactly what Windsor provides.

Not sure about their draft haul. Did not seem to match their needs with other better options available
Better options? They're kids who haven't played a game, nobody knows who the "better options" are yet.

Also pace and foot skills are what we need and what Windsor is.

Just keen to hear Dees fans opinions of the trade period. It seems largely to be a sideways move after a lot of talk beforehand.
I do think we've gone sideways and I do think betting on us falling down the ladder isn't that stupid at all. I see it more likely our best drop off rather than people underneath stepping up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incorrect.

We were trying to trade up for Watson. We could have taken O'Sullivan if we desperately wanted to which we didn't.
You were with your second pick (Tholstrup). If Geelong had traded with WC instead of us we probably trade with you or Adelaide.

I have faith Melbourne's recruiting team know what they are doing, they were roundly criticised for taking Luke Jackson and Kosi Pickett in the first round a few years ago.

A few Carlton posters here last year were unhappy we took Ollie Hollands as our first pick last year, and he looks like being at the very least, a solid and reliable contributor who should play at least 150 games.

Clubs spend countless hours and resources watching and scouring young players all around the country every year.

I would have liked Curtin at 7. And I’ll need convincing on Windsor. Although initial training reports are positive and he seems to have a frame to build on. We also lack outside speed and skill so I get it. Happy to trust the recruiting team on that. I think we’d all but locked in on Tholstrup. And he looks a very good pick up.

We'll slide next year.

Still have holes on our list that we didn't fill compared to other top 4 teams.

Agree. Our youth is actually starting to look pretty good, but our only best 22 improvement was a marginal upgrade in McAdam.

Think we'll play finals, but finish outside the top 4. Brisbane, Collingwood, GWS look much stronger than us across the ground.

Agree. Our youth is actually starting to look pretty good, but our only best 22 improvement was a marginal upgrade in McAdam.

Think we'll play finals, but finish outside the top 4. Brisbane, Collingwood, GWS look much stronger than us across the ground.
I'd disagree big time here.

It is pretty good for our ladder position which is what I meant. Obviously we aren't going to touch the likes of the Suns, North etc
I personally don't see it, an its not because I hate this team. I hate the senior players not the kids but I just think not many clubs would swap our youth for theirs

I have faith Melbourne's recruiting team know what they are doing, they were roundly criticised for taking Luke Jackson and Kosi Pickett in the first round a few years ago.

A few Carlton posters here last year were unhappy we took Ollie Hollands as our first pick last year, and he looks like being at the very least, a solid and reliable contributor who should play at least 150 games.

Clubs spend countless hours and resources watching and scouring young players all around the country every year.

We were lucky to get Kosi Pickett because Carlton were not interested (another SOS special, he never offered pick 9 straight up for Papley he tried to offer splitting the pick instead and Sydney laughed in his face). The Blues had their bid for Liam Henry matched at pick 9 so they then traded their pick to move back for (B.Kemp).

I would have liked Curtin at 7. And I’ll need convincing on Windsor. Although initial training reports are positive and he seems to have a frame to build on. We also lack outside speed and skill so I get it. Happy to trust the recruiting team on that. I think we’d all but locked in on Tholstrup. And he looks a very good pick up.

Windsor is good, one of the slowest teams in the league needs his pace badly. But could have taken Curtain at 7 and traded 11 and 2024 1st to move up to get Windsor anyway or traded 7 (Curtain) for WC 2024 r1 pick (top 2 pick).

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Melbourne 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back