Club Focus Melbourne 2023

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

The only Eagles player that would be any interest for Melbourne would be Jack Darling.
Yes he had a bad season (but still had the same number of games/goals as Van Rooyen - but he had an injury interrupted pre-season, clearly played injured for a number of matches and was playing as a forward for the worst team in the competition.

The only Eagles player that would be any interest for Melbourne would be Jack Darling.
Yes he had a bad season (but still had the same number of games/goals as Van Rooyen - but he had an injury interrupted pre-season, clearly played injured for a number of matches and was playing as a forward for the worst team in the competition.
What a trio - Jack Darling, Tom McDonald and Ben Brown!

As misfiring as our forward line is, I’m struggling to see who gets pushed out for Bailey Williams whopping 5 goals 3 from 23 matches. But yeah definitely worth a first round pick 🤡
Well you wouldn't be taking him as a forward, you'd be taking him as a ruck, or ruck/resting forward.

Either way he won't be traded, so you can rest easy.

In: Tom Fullarton, Shane McAdam, Jack Billings

Out: Brodie Grundy, James Jordon, James Harmes

Draft Picks: 6, 11, 42, 93

A busy period for the Dees, which saw an end to the failed Grundy experiment.

Can the likes of Billings and McAdam change their fortunes in 2024?

Will they actively look to move up the draft order with 6 and 11?

In: Tom Fullarton, Shane McAdam, Jack Billings

Out: Brodie Grundy, James Jordon, James Harmes

Draft Picks: 6, 11, 42, 93

A busy period for the Dees, which saw an end to the failed Grundy experiment.

Can the likes of Billings and McAdam change their fortunes in 2024?

Will they actively look to move up the draft order with 6 and 11?

I think McAdam will be ok but Billings only a slight upgrade on Bailey Laurie. Fullarton is a bit unknown but hopefully can provide some chop out for Max.

I would to keep our picks and draft Sanders/Caddy and another midfielder.

Are Dees fans happy with that trade period? There was a lot of noise beforehand how Dees were going to makes waves, a potential huge name signing, Lynch/King etc. etc. In the end they've lost 3 depth payers, brought 2 in + McAdam (who isn't likely to move the needle) plus a slight upgrade of their 2nd pick. Gawn and May are 32 next season, question marks over Oliver, Brayshaw one head knock away from retirement, Petty Lisfranc injury, Ben Browns knee seems stuffed, Tom McDonald might be the slowest big man in the AFL.

Did they do enough dees fans?

Are Dees fans happy with that trade period? There was a lot of noise beforehand how Dees were going to makes waves, a potential huge name signing, Lynch/King etc. etc. In the end they've lost 3 depth payers, brought 2 in + McAdam (who isn't likely to move the needle) plus a slight upgrade of their 2nd pick. Gawn and May are 32 next season, question marks over Oliver, Brayshaw one head knock away from retirement, Petty Lisfranc injury, Ben Browns knee seems stuffed, Tom McDonald might be the slowest big man in the AFL.

The players we have lost didn't add anything to our team last season, so that's irrelevant.

McAdam's skillset will make our forward line better; we just have to get his body right so he can play more games. Good trade

Fullarton, well, I had to google him, never heard of him before the trade period.

Billings will hopefully be a good pick up, low cost and Saints paying part of his salary so low risk. Good trade.

With the picks, apparently, we don't rate the quality outside of the top 15. We've done trades like that in the past and they've worked out well so i can only presume they have specific targets that they want, so all good with that.

Theer were no really good forwards available trade-wise so i think they've done the best that they could under the circumstances

The players we have lost didn't add anything to our team last season, so that's irrelevant.

McAdam's skillset will make our forward line better; we just have to get his body right so he can play more games. Good trade

Fullarton, well, I had to google him, never heard of him before the trade period.

Billings will hopefully be a good pick up, low cost and Saints paying part of his salary so low risk. Good trade.

With the picks, apparently, we don't rate the quality outside of the top 15. We've done trades like that in the past and they've worked out well so i can only presume they have specific targets that they want, so all good with that.

Theer were no really good forwards available trade-wise so i think they've done the best that they could under the circumstances
Jordan and Harmes were your next best midfielders so I wouldn't say irrelevant. Add Dunstan after them and your midfield depth has taken a bit hit.

McAdam will come in for Melksham who was in good forward form before his ACL. He's probably cooked now too. Fullarton is VFL level. Chol would have been better.

So basically they will likely have the same best 23 (bar McAdam in for Melksham) plus a few big question marks over a few of their best players as well the loss of the match day coach in Yze. Plus all the culture stuff being thrown around. Wouldn't be surprised if Dees were a bit of a slider next year.

Jordan and Harmes were your next best midfielders so I wouldn't say irrelevant. Add Dunstan after them and your midfield depth has taken a bit hit.

McAdam will come in for Melksham who was in good forward form before his ACL. He's probably cooked now too. Fullarton is VFL level. Chol would have been better.

So basically they will likely have the same best 23 (bar McAdam in for Melksham) plus a few big question marks over a few of their best players as well the loss of the match day coach in Yze. Plus all the culture stuff being thrown around. Wouldn't be surprised if Dees were a bit of a slider next year.

Did you ask for other's opinions or were you just fishing to state your own opinion?

Anyone who uses Chol as their main argument is cooked, softer than Watts or Schache.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry I didn't realise I wasn't allowed to have a personal opinion while asking for opinion of Dees fans who are closer to the ground, at the same time :rolleyes:

You asked for opinions and then you told me i was wrong lol

Why did you bother asking for opinions?

Not many top 8 sides get 2 picks in the first 12 and a chance of rejuvenating their list.

They should take the opportunity imo.

Caddy seems like a likely landing spot imo.
Caddy and Murphy would probably be the ideal draft, if not Caddy then O'Sullivan.

It's called a discussion mate, they're big on internet forums. They involve back and forth between posters around particular subjects, Australian Rules Football in this instance.

You're not after a discussion, you just want to bag the club

Just keen to hear Dees fans opinions of the trade period. It seems largely to be a sideways move after a lot of talk beforehand.
hey mate, your post is fine. And pretty accurate actually. To answer your question, nah we didn't do enough in the trade period. And our draft pick manoeuvring wasn't great either.

As you say Tom Mcdonald and Ben Brown are cooked but most dees fans would prefer them to retire. They weren't best 22 anyway.

Fullarton and Billings are spuds and either won't play at all or add anything when being played.

McAdam will be very good I believe but he's just replacing Melksham so we don't get better there by any great margin.

As you state, May is 30 so probably has only 2 years left. Which is why I personally believe that we need to target O'Sullivan in the draft.

Petty's lisfranc injury is largely irrelevant as he'll be at the crows next season anyway. His loss will be massive though and create a big shortage up forward and down back. We'll be compensated with a first rounder to soften the loss but it'll put us back 5 years. We need to start planning now.

As you correctly state there is a midfield shortage also, but James Harmes and Jordon weren't world beaters. They weren't regular 22 players. Tom Sparrow would be our next young mid coming through but we definitely do need another midfielder or 2 to replenish it through there.

So basically, we have many urgent list needs: Key forward and backs (to cover May and Petty and be a contingency if Matthew Jefferson doesn't make the grade), Midfielders to cover depth losses and who knows with Clayton Oliver and a Ruck as we literally only have Gawn. I'm not counting fullarton.

hey mate, your post is fine. And pretty accurate actually. To answer your question, nah we didn't do enough in the trade period. And our draft pick manoeuvring wasn't great either.

As you say Tom Mcdonald and Ben Brown are cooked but most dees fans would prefer them to retire. They weren't best 22 anyway.

Fullarton and Billings are spuds and either won't play at all or add anything when being played.

McAdam will be very good I believe but he's just replacing Melksham so we don't get better there by any great margin.

As you state, May is 30 so probably has only 2 years left. Which is why I personally believe that we need to target O'Sullivan in the draft.

Petty's lisfranc injury is largely irrelevant as he'll be at the crows next season anyway. His loss will be massive though and create a big shortage up forward and down back. We'll be compensated with a first rounder to soften the loss but it'll put us back 5 years. We need to start planning now.

As you correctly state there is a midfield shortage also, but James Harmes and Jordon weren't world beaters. They weren't regular 22 players. Tom Sparrow would be our next young mid coming through but we definitely do need another midfielder or 2 to replenish it through there.

So basically, we have many urgent list needs: Key forward and backs (to cover May and Petty and be a contingency if Matthew Jefferson doesn't make the grade), Midfielders to cover depth losses and who knows with Clayton Oliver and a Ruck as we literally only have Gawn. I'm not counting fullarton.
Cheers mate. Appreciate the objective reply.

Reckon Dees 23 will be as good as anyone's next year but they'll need a lot to go right to be in contention again. Seems like quite a few clubs will be looking to go on a spending spree next off season.

I’m not sure Melbourne were going to make any big waves this year, any Lynch, King talk was mainly media just saying Melbourne need a key forward. Don’t think Melbourne were prepared to trade assets this year for a key forward but did have a play at Free Agent Tom Hawkins, but Melbourne were always happy going with Petty and Van Rooyen for next year.

Positive is Melbourne have freed up a lot cap space which they look like using next year when a couple of other sizeable contracts come off the books.

Melbourne’s big play was to use a lot of later draft assets to move up the order, with Gold Coast pick in mind, but only managed to go from 14 to 11. But still with picks 6 and 11 hopefully can add to the midfield and grab a key defender for the future.

A slow start to 2023, Melbourne had a much better 2nd half of the home and away season, finished 2.5 games inside the top 4, haven’t lost anyone from the best 22 so I don’t see why wouldn’t be up there again next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back