Melbourne priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

diggerdoggys1990

Debutant
Mar 31, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Do the dees really deserve a priority pick? It was not long ago they were fined 500 k or whatever it ended up being for tanking. I understand the club is in abit off strive and need that money to help the football department and everything they are lacking at the moment but to be silly enough to come and ask for a priority pick when they have had the most 1st round picks other then the Suns and Giants over the last 7 years or so is dumb. If was in charge id say that the dees have made there own bed now deal with it. I have alot off respect for the Dees but if they get a priority pick lets say they finsh 2nd bottem get pick 2 and then 3 as a priority pick it would be a joke and the AFL would clearly have to hand out clubs in the same shit a priority pick as well.

With expansion I honestly thought the AFL would let struggling Melb clubs die a natural death/relocate. It seems the AFL are happy with the status quo and will help out when needed.

I haven't read one yet on the main board but im sure there would be a few but cant see how this discussion will affect anyone mate.

In any case its a not completely honest to say that Melbourne have asked for a priority pick. Peter Jackson, was put in place by the AFL had the job of reviewing the club and then making recommendations to the AFL about how to fix Melbourne. These included the money to restructure the club, an overhaul of the administration, and a priority pick. So in other words the man the AFL sent to Melbourne has asked for a priority pick to fix the club. As far as I'm concerned, I don't want one. It would continue to miss the point about how the club needs to be fixed. Though to be completely fair we are in a worse spot now than we were in 2008-9

With expansion I honestly thought the AFL would let struggling Melb clubs die a natural death/relocate. It seems the AFL are happy with the status quo and will help out when needed.
Until the next TV rights deal is negotiated. The whole current deal is based on the premise there are 18 clubs in the AFL

How could it even be justified if theyre not even last? Surely if Melbourne are eligible for a PP, GWS must also get one?

You're joking right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All clubs need to be held accountable for the mistakes they've made. Melbourne don't deserve any priority pick at all.
Agree. It would set a precedent. If you play shit football you'll get a PP. Hang on, didn't the AFL abolish that rule?

start of second round pp. dont deserve anything lower and wouldn't use it well enough anyway. make them get a better recruiter first. he's maligned but id go after the ex-crow rendell.

They've got and been given enough young talent over the last 5 years. Another first rounder isn't going to help them.

What they need is a few decent experienced players and some good development coaches to show the way to the young talent that they've already got at their disposal.

If they're to be given a priority pick it must come with the condition that it can't be used by them or traded away for another pick. It must be used to secure older players from other clubs who can help turn their culture around.

No I'm not. The priority pick should be awarded to improve on field performance, regardless of off field stuff. If you finish higher than GWS this year you don't deserve a PP more than them.

You can't say that GWS being currently worse than us is a valid reason, there in a completely different position in terms of their list. GWS are fledgling, built with a bunch of highly talented youngsters with the average age of 20. They have been made over the past few years to become a powerhouse in a few years time. The expectation was that they would struggle in their first couple of years. Melbourne's average age is around 24-25, yet our percentage is worse than GWS's we've only one a single game (against them) and have been far less competitive. Look at the difference between Melbourne and the next team on the ladder, your own St.Kilda so far apart that the odds have us at $7.00 tomorrow despite some massive outs for St.Kilda (and a fair few for Melbourne to be honest). I don't want a priority pick, but we deserve one far more now than we did in 2009.

Off field issues should not be taken into account. GWS are looking like they might have the first winless season by any club in decades, and yet the dees will end up with the priority pick?

It's no longer based on wins and losses. The exact formula (if there is one) for determining PPs isn't made public, basically giving the AFL full control in determining who receives a PP. I think their situation warrants an end of first round PP, you seem to disagree. But bringing the GWS and their record into the equation (especially since the PP system was overhauled last year) is simplistic.

I haven't read one yet on the main board but im sure there would be a few but cant see how this discussion will affect anyone mate.
One was started a week ago, next time search first

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back