West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t believe this has turned into ‘oh well the Eagles are fine now, someone else should get a PP’.

1 win.

With a Derby coming up - Freo beat us by 100 late last season, and yes that’s the same Freo who couldn’t score in a brothel.

See you next week for another round of ‘they are the worst team ever, but they don’t deserve nothing!’

….
maybe be bad for more than 2 seasons before getting on your knees to beg for handouts.

The assistance North got was greatly overated. End of first round picks sounds great, but they end up being picks in the mid 20s. Better than nothing, but hardly changes anything going forward. They are also clearly at a disadvantage compared to bigger clubs. They cant attract decent players and have to put fringe players on huge long term contracts to get them over. CCJ, Stephens, Fisher etc.

West Coast, Hawthorn etc shouldnt have that problem and will be fine.
When they were playing finals they attracted guys like Dal Santo, Waite & Higgins so disagree with you on that.

Hawks have shipped off how many veterans since their flag years? You can't sell off all of your most experienced players for draft picks and then when you inevitably finish lower than you would have had you kept them, use that as a reason to be given more draft picks. They've also won 7, 8 and 7 games the last few years, that's not a side that needs AFL assistance to become competitive again.
theres ship off vs chose to leave and retired
I can only think of 4 that were shipped off - mitchell (sam and tom), lewis and JOM (noting that 2 of these were end 2016 and the draft picks were well... crap)
Gunston chose to leave, we wanted to keep him
Smith chose to leave, we had more $ on the table but chose success instead
Hodge retired then un retired

No to any priority picks for the Eagles. They just got Reid as a gift from North Melbourne, Gold Coast have been able to build incredibly in the past few years so it can be done, but they better be quick with a new team coming it isn't a good time to be down the bottom. The AFL have three teams currently who are equally in the mire.

No to any priority picks for the Eagles. They just got Reid as a gift from North Melbourne, Gold Coast have been able to build incredibly in the past few years so it can be done, but they better be quick with a new team coming it isn't a good time to be down the bottom. The AFL have three teams currently who are equally in the mire.
"No to a PP to WCE because North and GC got heaps of help via priority picks."

There, fixed it for you.

No chance. Nor should we. Finishing at the bottom already gives you best picks. It’s up to clubs to pick smart, develop smart and trade smart. Simple.

Interestingly, the Tiges may be rebuilding through another expansion period. We did it through the GWS & Suns era and were able to succeed. We'll need to land all of our picks in the next couple of years before things get a lot harder when Tassie comes into play.

Never been a better time to be at the bottom. With the new teams coming and GWS powerhouse academy about to take over in 2026/2027 drafts its been good to get in before all the good youngsters end up at 3 teams pre drafting occuring

Never been a better time to be at the bottom. With the new teams coming and GWS powerhouse academy about to take over in 2026/2027 drafts its been good to get in before all the good youngsters end up at 3 teams pre drafting occuring
What powerhouse academy? Who is coming through in 26/27?

Can’t believe this has turned into ‘oh well the Eagles are fine now, someone else should get a PP’.

1 win.

With a Derby coming up - Freo beat us by 100 late last season, and yes that’s the same Freo who couldn’t score in a brothel.

See you next week for another round of ‘they are the worst team ever, but they don’t deserve nothing!’

….
I said at the beginning of the year I didn't think we would finish last. While there's no doubt list management put us in a poor spot, there's equally no doubt that injuries played a part in us being uncompetitive. With a fit Yeo and Gov, suddenly we look a little more competitive, add Ryan soon and Allen later and we should get a few more wins. If so, we may have turned the corner on our own and assistance won't be forthcoming (though I wouldn't mind some compo for pick 19 blowing out to 30).

Now, if we revert to form and only win three games, then yes, the convo should definitely still be had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt the Eagles ask for a PP.

If they stay healthy they will win 4-5 games this year.

Clubs will say they’re improving naturally, and already have Harley on their list who is a bone fide star in the making.

FWIW I don’t think West Coast are out of the woods. Just as their kids start improving their elite older players will retire. Yeo, Gov, Kelly etc.

It will be hard for us to make a case over Hawthorn if Reid wins the rising star I think. I mean it’s a case of

Would you trade Reid for Nick Watson, Cam McKENZIE, Josh Ward and Denver Granger-Barass? I wouldn’t which basically puts Hawks in front of the queue for PP ahead of us I’m afraid

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back