Melbourne priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no issues with a priority pick. But if the AFL feels they should issue a high one. I think it should be pick 5 or 6. I believe no team should ever receive a pick that knocks back or disadvantages other struggling teams that season. Hence it should be placed after the bottom 3-4 teams have first access to the best talent uncompromised. They shouldn't be punished for another teams poor list management. I understand Melbourne are in need of big help, pick 5-6 is still a good and high pick.

They don't need the picks. They will get access to more good talent via rebuilding their culture by default over the next few years. Half our team came from 3 drafts after we rebuild our recruitment and development departments. You just need to recruit well, you don't need 40 early first round picks to be competitive.

What they do need is to target some mature bodied midfielders, particularly two more inside midfielders. Should get Simon Black over and a few others, the engine room needs leadership. Jones and Sylvia bust their gut but there is not enough support there.

Melbourne would benefit greatly from the AFL convincing some fantastic players who are considering retirement to go around for another year or two for Melbourne under a very good coach to help rebuild the club, more for education, leadership and providing the on-field buffer for the young kids. There is too much pressure on guys like Viney, Toumpas, Trengove, etc. Sticking more skinny kids in there isn't going to improve the situation.

Most clubs have a good restricted or unrestricted free agent that would make Melbourne a lot stronger that they would unlikely fight for their services. Melbourne spent too much chasing guys like Dawes and Clark. If you have a great midfield it will compensate for a weaker back line and/or weaker forward line, if you are weak in the middle you will struggle offensively and defensively.

No, they're due to poor culture.

In 2011 we were as bad as you are this year and only kept off the bottom of the ladder by percentage to the Gold Coast. We had a lot of young players who didn't look like they were coming on. We had an awful coach who was telling us it would get better but without showing any improvement. We had no money and everyone else in the AFL was questioning whether we should even remain in the competition. Rock bottom.

What changed our fortunes wasn't Chad Wingard or Ollie Wines (and it most certainly wasn't multiple top 5 picks, we haven't had a top 5 pick since 2008). It was David Koch, Keith Thomas, Ken Hinkley, Darren Burgess and the determination of Travis Boak to lead his charges out of the mire.

Nathan Jones can be your Travis Boak. If you get Paul Roos as a coach, he has incredible form for turning a ship around and instilling a winning culture right across a struggling club. You are only going to continue to throw high draft picks down the toilet until you sort out everything else. You need to get the right leadership in place across the club.

I agree with Tas above, ..I think the main issue is lack of on field leadership and senior midfield talent.

We were struggling in that department anyway, but then we went and shunted the only ones we had. Big mistake given hindsight.

Unless we recruit 2 or 3 quality mids (not Byrnes and Rodan) we will need to wait for the current crop to become senior players. I do think that will happen sooner than people expect, but in the meantime guys like Trengove, Watts and Toumpas will wear heavy criticism.

No, they're due to poor culture.

In 2011 we were as bad as you are this year and only kept off the bottom of the ladder by percentage to the Gold Coast. We had a lot of young players who didn't look like they were coming on. We had an awful coach who was telling us it would get better but without showing any improvement. We had no money and everyone else in the AFL was questioning whether we should even remain in the competition. Rock bottom.

What changed our fortunes wasn't Chad Wingard or Ollie Wines (and it most certainly wasn't multiple top 5 picks, we haven't had a top 5 pick since 2008). It was David Koch, Keith Thomas, Ken Hinkley, Darren Burgess and the determination of Travis Boak to lead his charges out of the mire.

Nathan Jones can be your Travis Boak. If you get Paul Roos as a coach, he has incredible form for turning a ship around and instilling a winning culture right across a struggling club. You are only going to continue to throw high draft picks down the toilet until you sort out everything else. You need to get the right leadership in place across the club.

Re-quoted for accuracy!

They don't need the picks. They will get access to more good talent via rebuilding their culture by default over the next few years. Half our team came from 3 drafts after we rebuild our recruitment and development departments. You just need to recruit well, you don't need 40 early first round picks to be competitive.

What they do need is to target some mature bodied midfielders, particularly two more inside midfielders. Should get Simon Black over and a few others, the engine room needs leadership. Jones and Sylvia bust their gut but there is not enough support there.

Melbourne would benefit greatly from the AFL convincing some fantastic players who are considering retirement to go around for another year or two for Melbourne under a very good coach to help rebuild the club, more for education, leadership and providing the on-field buffer for the young kids. There is too much pressure on guys like Viney, Toumpas, Trengove, etc. Sticking more skinny kids in there isn't going to improve the situation.

Most clubs have a good restricted or unrestricted free agent that would make Melbourne a lot stronger that they would unlikely fight for their services. Melbourne spent too much chasing guys like Dawes and Clark. If you have a great midfield it will compensate for a weaker back line and/or weaker forward line, if you are weak in the middle you will struggle offensively and defensively.

Again, some excellent points. You can also throw Richmond into this same bucket. Whilst we have a few high picks, it's what the club has gained from good recruiting that has allowed us to improve. It's recruiting and development that is key at clubs these days. Look at the Swans. They spend plenty on development coaches and it shows and pays.

There will be in uproar if they get another one. Afl is under siege and this will be icing on the cake.

No doubt clubs will want to know how afl came to decision. There have to be some parameters that will need to be communicated. Can afl fight the media war over this, on top of everything else? Doubt it.

No1 overall is too much of a reward for failure to develop players. This isn't just a club that was up and on its way down. They have bad plenty.

I don't mind the end of first round pick but no1 overall? I don't think so.

I hope their players and supporters are all sitting down watching the Dogs v Swans game and seeing what you can do it you have a dip.

Explain to me how my attitude matters and how it matters that I have a dip?

Or for that matter, Eddie Betts. Who mattymac seems adamant will jump ship to the Crows.

I know it was back in June, but

tumblr_mu65jwNwM21qg1ghyo1_500.png

just fyi ;)

I'd like to see Melbourne to get a priority pick like this -

They get a priority pick #1 on the proviso that it MUST be used to trade for a mature aged star player from another club.

If they cannot organise a trade then it becomes a end of the first round priority draft pick.

Melbourne need a quality player more than they need a potential project player.

I'd like to see Melbourne to get a priority pick like this -

They get a priority pick #1 on the proviso that it MUST be used to trade for a mature aged star player from another club.

If they cannot organise a trade then it becomes a end of the first round priority draft pick.

Melbourne need a quality player more than they need a potential project player.

Great idea. If you ever come across a time machine use it to go back to 2012, usurp Vlad somehow and get this across :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, it's good how some people still uphold as an article of faith that somehow the concept of 'tanking' was always unique to our club. Must confess I also chuckled a little when I saw the one about how we somehow 'deliberately lost' in 'multiple games' again.

The notion about how you can't qualify for a PP if your club is a laughing stock on the field is particularly interesting though - as I say, entirely reversing the concept of league equalisation as we've come to know it. Number of very underrated posts in that direction.

Oh, I quite agree. You should have to win a Premiership before you qualify for a priority pick :thumbsu:

Yeah we need a priority pick. After all we've given up our highest paid most marketable player to help um grow the game in non afl territory.

Come on afl, reward us for aiding the master plan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back