Melbourne priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does not effecting any clubs first round selections have to do with the PP working to make Melbourne more competitive? Sure, you may prefer that, but other teams first round pics aren't really related to Melbournes performances are they?

And C is an upgrade of about 9 or 10, that's hardly going to help them any more than the current picks. It's more tokenistic than actually helpful.

I do like the idea of having to trade for an experienced player/s though, I think that has some real merit.

Because helping out Melbourne shouldn't be at the expense of hurting other clubs who may be struggling too (Bulldogs, St Kilda, Port, Lions etc). If you continually disadvantage those at the bottom of the ladder while you are trying to help other, struggling clubs, then you create a never-ending negative feedback loop.

As for upgrading their 2nd rd selection, creating picks out of free air compromises the draft. It has been shown during the expansion period how much additional picks can hurt the draft, which is in part why clubs such as Melbourne, Port and the Lions haven't had access to the quality of kids they otherwise would have. Upgrading a second rd selection by 10 spots helps them out, but not at the expense of other, low finishing teams. If they such again next year then consider giving them a higher upgrade, but suddenly injecting a whole new pick (e.g. an extra quality kid) into their selections has always been overkill IMO (INC when Carlton got theirs)

Are we talking about them getting pick 3 as well as pick 2? Or a priority pick at the end of the first round? I feel like the latter would be pretty fair for all parties

Because helping out Melbourne shouldn't be at the expense of hurting other clubs who may be struggling too (Bulldogs, St Kilda, Port, Lions etc). If you continually disadvantage those at the bottom of the ladder while you are trying to help other, struggling clubs, then you create a never-ending negative feedback loop.

As for upgrading their 2nd rd selection, creating picks out of free air compromises the draft. It has been shown during the expansion period how much additional picks can hurt the draft, which is in part why clubs such as Melbourne, Port and the Lions haven't had access to the quality of kids they otherwise would have. Upgrading a second rd selection by 10 spots helps them out, but not at the expense of other, low finishing teams. If they such again next year then consider giving them a higher upgrade, but suddenly injecting a whole new pick (e.g. an extra quality kid) into their selections has always been overkill IMO (INC when Carlton got theirs)

There is opportunity cost involved in every decision. You could say by simply having the AFL appoint a CEO of the club it disadvantages clubs who may need a new CEO, which may or may not include Bulldogs, Saints, Port Lions. That's a silly argument. Just in case you forgot, Melbourne is the lowest of any non-expansion club, with the potential to finish last anyway, and therefor should recieve help before anyone else. This is not just because they are terrible this year, but have been down for some time. Last year the Lions were talking up top 8 chances, Port won 5 straight this season, the Saints played in GFs not too long ago and the Dogs (probably the worst performed of the lot recently) still had pre lims a few years back.

You cannot compare an extra single pick to the start up packages given to the expansion clubs either. GWS had nine of the top 15 draft picks. Nine. That is considerably more than is being proposed for Melbourne.

You speak of being terrible again next year, I would suggest you look at there performances over the last 5 years and then ask yourself how long should they have to continue to suck.

They spend as much money as Hawthorn on their footy department outside of player payments and have had a plethora of first round picks only outmatched by the expansion teams and they are going cap in hand to the AFL for more money and more priority picks. They have no dignity. Rabbletank. They need to help themselves first.

It's vital for all AFL players and all AFL teasm that every team has some hope of being competitive. Yeah, Melbourne may have made this mess, but it is in everyone's interest to help pull them out. On that basis, you have to look at the worth of Melbourne's list compared to other teams, plus the reality they get pick 2 and Jesse Hogan, who would have been a top 5 pick. Another top 5 pick on top of those two seems excessive, but an additional end of round 1 pick would seem more around the mark.

You speak of being terrible again next year, I would suggest you look at there performances over the last 5 years and then ask yourself how long should they have to continue to suck.

A lot longer just for squandering the opportunities that have been presented to them in the recent past, its about time they took responsibility and get themselves out of this problem!!

If we go down this priority pick path once again we just encourage other clubs to do the same, at the end of every season someone has to come last, someone has to come second last. There are existing processes in place with the draft order and salary cap cap and payment requirements to provide a competitive advantage and platform but the onus should always be on those bottom clubs to implement processes and plans to take them to the next level. Recent history shows that rewarding mediocre performance with additional concessions only installs a losing mindset (don't want to say culture) which only further diminishes on field and off field performance.

It's vital for all AFL players and all AFL teasm that every team has some hope of being competitive. Yeah, Melbourne may have made this mess, but it is in everyone's interest to help pull them out. On that basis, you have to look at the worth of Melbourne's list compared to other teams, plus the reality they get pick 2 and Jesse Hogan, who would have been a top 5 pick. Another top 5 pick on top of those two seems excessive, but an additional end of round 1 pick would seem more around the mark.

The last thing they need is more inexperience young high draft picks, Melbourne need high quality mature players to compliment the young 'talent' that already exists. Look at the amount of young talent that GWS has at its disposal how are they tracking this year? If you continue to provide high draft picks the competitive improvement is medium-long term at best and its success is diminished by the lack of quality senior players to assist in the development.

A lot longer just for squandering the opportunities that have been presented to them in the recent past, its about time they took responsibility and get themselves out of this problem!!

If we go down this priority pick path once again we just encourage other clubs to do the same, at the end of every season someone has to come last, someone has to come second last. There are existing processes in place with the draft order and salary cap cap and payment requirements to provide a competitive advantage and platform but the onus should always be on those bottom clubs to implement processes and plans to take them to the next level. Recent history shows that rewarding mediocre performance with additional concessions only installs a losing mindset (don't want to say culture) which only further diminishes on field and off field performance.

:rolleyes:

Seriously though, no club is going to be encouraged to be as shit as Melbourne have been, for as long as they have been. In their best year in the last 5 they got done by 31 goals! That's in their best year.

Who would willingly enter into a sustained 6 season period of failure, including multiple sackings of key personnel, a dysfunctional relationship between the board, the fans, the coach and the players - loss of multiple sponsors, a fixture that is so bad from a financial point of view that we simply won't make money from games, and weekly 100 point smashings ....

...for a priority pick?

I really wish people would think before typing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who would willingly enter into a sustained 6 season period of failure, including multiple sackings of key personnel, a dysfunctional relationship between the board, the fans, the coach and the players - loss of multiple sponsors, a fixture that is so bad from a financial point of view that we simply won't make money from games, and weekly 100 point smashings ....

...for a priority pick?

That pick could result in a dynasty! That's why.

That pick could result in a dynasty! That's why.

The Dynasty they get will be nothing compared to what GWS and GC will have.Having a team at the bottom for an extended period is not in anyone best interest.

Give them an end of first round pick, then no one can really complain and hope they have got there recruitment right. If they go poorly next year, then offer them another end of first round draft pic.

...for a priority pick?

I really wish you realised that everything mentioned above is a direct result of decisions taken by the MFC to gain a 'perceived' advantage through drafting that instead installed a losing culture that engulfed the club and particularly the playing group. I don't think that anyone thinks that MFC willing wanted 6 years of sustained failure but there is significant frustration that the MFC has never accepted responsibility for its actions that delivered this culture into the club, there actually is nothing wrong admitting you were wrong!

There is no denying that the initial 1-3 years was always going to tough, but you were afforded every available draft concession available that if managed correctly should have delivered improved performance by now yet still you flounder at the bottom and the sooner you accept that this sustained period of failure experienced is directly and only attributable to the gross miss management of the MFC the sooner the club will eradicate its core problem and move forward.

i believe that Peter Jackson's appointment is an important step in the right direction and the appointment of an experienced coach who is a good developer of young talent is critical but i firmly believe more young talent is last thing you need, you need QUALITY experienced players to complement the talent base already there. Any 'assistance' should be in the form of allowing you to attract this type of player.

I don't like the idea of a priority pick. I know under the old system we would be entitled to one just like many other clubs over the last ten years. Bad decisions have always lead clubs to the bottom of the ladder. Melbourne just took this to the extreme. Young talent through recent drafts I don't think is the issue. It's more senior/experience lacking. I would think a mini draft pick for example that we are FORCED to trade away for a player NOT draft pick. Something along those lines would be appropriate.

The Dynasty they get will be nothing compared to what GWS and GC will have.Having a team at the bottom for an extended period is not in anyone best interest.

Give them an end of first round pick, then no one can really complain and hope they have got there recruitment right. If they go poorly next year, then offer them another end of first round draft pic.

In 2008/9 Fremantle finished 14/16 in both seasons down the bottom with Melbourne who during this period alone had the following 1st round picks; 1st (2), 2nd (1), 17th (1) compared to Fremantle picks 3rd (1) and 4th (1), did you require additional picks to ensure you didn't have an extended period at the bottom and end up fighting for top 4 this season?

In 2008/9 Fremantle finished 14/16 in both seasons down the bottom with Melbourne who during this period alone had the following 1st round picks; 1st (2), 2nd (1), 17th (1) compared to Fremantle picks 3rd (1) and 4th (1), did you require additional picks to ensure you didn't have an extended period at the bottom and end up fighting for top 4 this season?

It took us 3-4 years of good drafting, and we had an extra pick to allow us to get Ballantyne at pick 21 (from memory).

Melbourne have been drafting players when GWS and GC have taken most of top quality players already.

There is a big difference between pick 4 or pick 6 and the pick 1 they would have had. Offering them another pick 20, would not affect any team too much and give Melbourne a chance to recruit someone good.

I really wish you realised that everything mentioned above is a direct result of decisions taken by the MFC to gain a 'perceived' advantage through drafting that instead installed a losing culture that engulfed the club and particularly the playing group. I don't think that anyone thinks that MFC willing wanted 6 years of sustained failure but there is significant frustration that the MFC has never accepted responsibility for its actions that delivered this culture into the club, there actually is nothing wrong admitting you were wrong!

There is no denying that the initial 1-3 years was always going to tough, but you were afforded every available draft concession available that if managed correctly should have delivered improved performance by now yet still you flounder at the bottom and the sooner you accept that this sustained period of failure experienced is directly and only attributable to the gross miss management of the MFC the sooner the club will eradicate its core problem and move forward.

i believe that Peter Jackson's appointment is an important step in the right direction and the appointment of an experienced coach who is a good developer of young talent is critical but i firmly believe more young talent is last thing you need, you need QUALITY experienced players to complement the talent base already there. Any 'assistance' should be in the form of allowing you to attract this type of player.

Ok genius, which of our decisions led to our sponsor being a racist? And which related to us recieving a shitty fixture each year?

Because we're really awful. The AFL can grant one to a team that is showing a sustained lack of performance on field. We are showing that right now.

I just don't like the system - rewarding Melbourne for their poor development and drafting which has lead to them being awful.

The draft system as it is works fine without adding the subjective PP.

I just don't like the system - rewarding Melbourne for their poor development and drafting which has lead to them being awful.

The draft system as it is works fine without adding the subjective PP.

Its not a reward. Its a subjective recognition that a team is in really bad shape on field over multiple seasons.

It gives the AFL flexibility to address inherent disadvantages certain teams face, or continued periods of poor performance, whilst also not encouraging tanking as nobody knows the process, and because multiple seasons are involved, the cost is way too high for a single draft pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back