Melbourne priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Melbourne will beat GWS this weekend, and still get the No. 1 priority pick.

We will also get a 10% CoLA because it costs more to live in Melbourne than in Sunshine, or Moorabbin, or Coburgs, or Burnley, or Corio.

Premiership 2016.

They will get it, and so what if they do? They've been getting it (or close to) for the last few years and have done nothing. Unless things really change at the club then the problem will continue.

Easy to be blase´about clubs getting pushed back another spot when you've been given two consecutive number ones and a pack of other talented youngsters. The rest of us don't want to be pushed back in the draft yet again through the same means that failed to help the Demons list last time they were struggling. Another youngster is not the answer.

The PP rule was changed at the beginning of last year. Prior to that, club results had all already been accounted for under the old rule, i.e. if you finished under five wins three years ago, you already got your PP. Ergo, what happened 3-4 years ago should now have no bearing on whether a team gets a PP this year or not. There should be a line in the sand drawn from the minute the new rule was instituted.

I would be disappointed to see Melbourne get a PP before the first round in just the second year of this new rule. They've got young guns like Tengrove, Viney and Toumpas, yet to make a real impact and will get another young gun like Aish this year, as well as adding highly the rated Hogan to the main list. The coaching upheavals that have contributed to their poor form will also be resolved and we'll all be in a better position to have a look at where they're headed.

I'm staunch on this. It would be farcical if the first PP the AFL handed out after the new rule was pick 1.

It would be farcical if the first PP the AFL handed out after the new rule was pick 1.

... to the only club that has been fined for suspected tanking for draft picks.

I am real mate ....... a Bulldogs supporter for 45 years and I am yet to see my team even play in GF. You blokes have played in four GF's since our last appearance in 1961!

Why should we sit back and gift Melbourne another free leg up whilst we continue to suffer.

BTW, please dont try and balance your argument by saying the Bulldogs have been successful because they played in three consecutive preliminary finals ........ which we were never expected to be successful in any of them ......... and we werent!

Trust me when I say I am not the only supporter of an opposition club that was actually crushed when you lost those prelims, was barracking hard, very much looking forward to see you guys get back up.

Easy to be blase´about clubs getting pushed back another spot when you've been given two consecutive number ones and a pack of other talented youngsters. The rest of us don't want to be pushed back in the draft yet again through the same means that failed to help the Demons list last time they were struggling. Another youngster is not the answer.

The facts are that they will get it by the looks of it.. As a start up club we were eligible ourselves and make no apologies for that.

But the point is what will it cost them to be that much in bed with the AFL?? Will they now be an "AFL" club like the Giants and Suns, controlled by their wims and fancies?

I don't really want it myself - but if we do get it, I wouldn't mind trading it to GWS for pick 2 and Taylor Adams.

That way we'll probably end up getting Aish, Sharenburg and Adams as opposed to Boyd and Aish - which would far better suit our needs.

In other words, the priority pick concept should be turned on its head and clubs should have to pass a particular standard of competitiveness before they receive one. Yes, I do enjoy this notion.

If we had Gary Ablett snr, John Scarlett, Rod Blake, Jack Hawkins and others churning out father-son picks for us, I promise the club wouldn't have ever thought about positioning themselves that way.

PS- Maybe that's the solution for league-wide equalisation into the future - clone those four guys over and over and retrospectively grant them to each club as former players.

I sympathise with the Dee's plight and indeed i reckon your side must get a P.P (although as some have said, a mid to end of first rounder) but you cannot be saying that no Demon player of times gone by has gone on to become a seminarian or something. You do have Jay Viney, potentially one of the Febey sons , you even had David Cordner who was probably a more accomplished player than Mark Blake. Every Victorian club statistically has an equal share in the father-son stakes, and there are plenty of other famous F/S players that other sides have won with as well. namely Cloke and Shaw for the Pies, Fletcher for the Bombers, (Hird is a grandson of a star player too) and now have Jobe and the young Daniher. Carlton has SOS and have had good service from Whitnall and Waite, the Tigers had Richo and Bowden.

Perhaps the same malaise that affects the development of the Dees' young talent in recent years has an effect on the motivation of sons of former players to really want to play footy at the highest level? I don't know but i just do feel it's easy to claim Geelong had some mystical advantage with F/S picks when many other clubs have had star players from the same source, and Geelong has also had several duds and never-wases from the same sources.

Bear in mind, the passing in war of Ron Barassi Sr was the instigator of the Dees being able to have Ron Barassi play for his father's club, a benefit that saw the Dees win six flags in his stead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really want it myself - but if we do get it, I wouldn't mind trading it to GWS for pick 2 and Taylor Adams.

That way we'll probably end up getting Aish, Sharenburg and Adams as opposed to Boyd and Aish - which would far better suit our needs.

Imagine in 3 years having Boyd and Hogan in full flight!

Mids are a dime a dozen, you can get quality mids EVERY draft but not so dominant KPF who are as rare as hens teeth.

Clarke can play 3rd tall and 2nd ruck.

Dawes maybe trade bait.

Imagine in 3 years having Boyd and Hogan in full flight!

Mids are a dime a dozen, you can get quality mids EVERY draft but not so dominant KPF who are as rare as hens teeth.

Clarke can play 3rd tall and 2nd ruck.

Dawes maybe trade bait.

I would usually agree, except in the instance where we are referring to the poorest midfield assembled in the last 20 years!

Only takes 1 pre season to go from chumps to champs under the right coach.
Not too mention in this scenario you can use pick 3 on the best mid available.

True, I do think that things will turn around quicker than expected at Melbourne - although with Clark, Hogan, Watts, Howe and Dawes I think we have the makings of a tall forward line. We have no quality in the middle whatsoever though, and a quality user across half back wouldn't go astray for us either.

True, I do think that things will turn around quicker than expected at Melbourne - although with Clark, Hogan, Watts, Howe and Dawes I think we have the makings of a tall forward line. We have no quality in the middle whatsoever though, and a quality user across half back wouldn't go astray for us either.

Watts looks better across HB.

Howe is a medium fwd not a main banana.

Clarke's best is a ruck come fwd ie 3rd tall fwd relieving Fitzy in the ruck.

Dawes is solid but not a freak like Boyd is meant to be, he will give you a good target while Hogan/Boyd develop and is a good leader to impart work ethic on these two.

Hogan will be a quality fwd.

I'm just saying a future forward line of Hogan/Boyd is up there with Franklyn/Roughhead, Cameron/Patton etc, midfields are not a hard thing to build and you guys already have the nuclease you need only to develop and add an experienced mid not another Toumpas/Trengrove etc.

Don't do a richmond and get Delidio/Tambling over Franklin/Roughhead.

BTW I don't believe you guys deserve one full stop and you do in fact have the talented kids but need to develop them properly.

Jones, Viney, Trengove, Toumpas are quality you need to add some more speed and class as well as another experienced mid.

No, they're due to a lack of talent period.

No, they're due to poor culture.

In 2011 we were as bad as you are this year and only kept off the bottom of the ladder by percentage to the Gold Coast. We had a lot of young players who didn't look like they were coming on. We had an awful coach who was telling us it would get better but without showing any improvement. We had no money and everyone else in the AFL was questioning whether we should even remain in the competition. Rock bottom.

What changed our fortunes wasn't Chad Wingard or Ollie Wines (and it most certainly wasn't multiple top 5 picks, we haven't had a top 5 pick since 2008). It was David Koch, Keith Thomas, Ken Hinkley, Darren Burgess and the determination of Travis Boak to lead his charges out of the mire.

Nathan Jones can be your Travis Boak. If you get Paul Roos as a coach, he has incredible form for turning a ship around and instilling a winning culture right across a struggling club. You are only going to continue to throw high draft picks down the toilet until you sort out everything else. You need to get the right leadership in place across the club.

I have no issues with a priority pick. But if the AFL feels they should issue a high one. I think it should be pick 5 or 6. I believe no team should ever receive a pick that knocks back or disadvantages other struggling teams that season. Hence it should be placed after the bottom 3-4 teams have first access to the best talent uncompromised. They shouldn't be punished for another teams poor list management. I understand Melbourne are in need of big help, pick 5-6 is still a good and high pick.

An 18 year old is not going to help the immediate future of that club. If they get a PP it needs to be traded for a player with at least 5 years experience in an AFL team. They need somebody the understands the standards that a professional sportsman needs to adhere to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back