Melbourne vs North - The Battle For The Future

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As regards the three young inner city teams from this, and I've seen both Richmond and the Dees this year (seen North beat both ...)

North >>> Melbourne, but not by much and Melbourne have huge unexploited ceiling >>> daylight >>> Richmond.

Richmond have two genuine young stards in Martin and Riewoldt.

Then it drops off.

Both North and Melbourne far more even across the lists when it comes to young talent.

I don't think the gap is that big, but we certainly lack a lot of depth, no doubt.

I believe Deledio & Cotchin are absolute stars, Martin & Riewoldt too.

Look out next year for Astbury, Edwards, Connors & Collins to have big years. Hopefully win another draft pick (pick 6) we can attain another quality kid.

You gotta keep in mind we are two years behind in development compared to Melbourne, so of course we would be behind them, I think we finally have great people around the club to actually do something good this time.

I'll only answer that if you can explain what drugs that other Melbourne supporter talking about the bombing of Punt Rd is on?

You're taking things too literally there baby. It was one of those hypothetical questions, about life, the cosmic nature of the universe, perceptions of reality and stuff.

One of those "if a tree falls in the forest" kind of deals... ;)

It will be interesting to see how this pans out in 5 years time or so.

I remember the whole St Kilda vs Geelong debate around 2004 at the time St Kilda looked to have the better list of youngsters but it certainly hasn't turned out that way.

Good thing you have all those good kids, you'll need them to be really good to win 6 premierships...

because last time I checked

North Melbourne 4
Richmond 10

Argument over.
Hold on, we went from discussing who has better list's to who has more premierships... Stay on topic.

Norths List >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Richmond's List

Full props to North, they played really well..

Definately a side to watch in the future and have really unearthed
some gems with some late picks, great to see.

Both sides got decent talent on the sidelines, which is a good sign for 2011.

who gives a shit seriously. north, richmond and melbourne all exceded the expectations of most people this season. im sure each set of supporters would be stoked about where their sides are headed in the coming years.

I call bullshit.

Although the Melbourne supporter next to me did fondly observe that number 24 for the Dees reminded him of a slave that his great grand daddy used to employ.
Oi, Yank, GTFO we're talking footy.

Good thing you have all those good kids, you'll need them to be really good to win 6 premierships...

because last time I checked

North Melbourne 4
Richmond 10

Argument over.

it's settled then is it? Shall we include the Dees? Argument over....

Full props to North, they played really well..

Definately a side to watch in the future and have really unearthed
some gems with some late picks, great to see.

Both sides got decent talent on the sidelines, which is a good sign for 2011.

Yep, North may have 7 or 8 different players in round 1 compared with today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think the gap is that big, but we certainly lack a lot of depth, no doubt.

I believe Deledio & Cotchin are absolute stars, Martin & Riewoldt too.

Look out next year for Astbury, Edwards, Connors & Collins to have big years. Hopefully win another draft pick (pick 6) we can attain another quality kid.

You gotta keep in mind we are two years behind in development compared to Melbourne, so of course we would be behind them, I think we finally have great people around the club to actually do something good this time.

What has he done to deserve star status?

Absolutely inspirational Martin, down by over 50 points at half time, he raillied the troops and said something to them that must of clicked...we got back to 3 points.

His pace is also something everyone will discover after a full preseason, he tackled this Port player yesterday, ran from about 20 metres away and took him out, it was phenomenal.

He has been great this season with clearances and a very solid contested mark, which surprised me. With a full pre season under his belt by next year, he will be fantastic...hopefully

He's a good player at the moment, no star but good. He hopefully should be a star, as you'd want from a #2 pick, but I reckon we're very generous with words like 'star' and 'elite' these days.

I did wish I could have watched the second half of that game though.

I have to say after watching a replay of this game that the Dees and Roos played a wonderful game to cap the H&A season. I haven't had a chance to see much of either team living in the US, but there is plenty for both sets of fans to get excited. The Dees are my second team and watching Jurrah play just makes them more interesting to me. The guy is a freak and I hope he can keep rounding out his game.

Also enjoyed Levi Greenwood's manic attack on the ball and Tom Scully is a real standout. He could be a real excitement machine too. Need to start paying attention to both these teams next year, if I'm able to (someone needs to keep the speky selector thread alive for 2011).

I will.

I'll even clap Kirky off the ground from loungeroom when you get beaten in the semis.

And I'll bask in the unshakeable knowledge that, short of the Mayans being right about 2012, I have a truly excellent next 7-10 years of footy coming up.
You're next 7 years will be very much like the last 7 years. Mediocre ladder positions, but with one subtle difference. Instead of "gold coast", the focus will be shifted to "Tassy".

James Hird had some interesting comments on these two teams on 'On the Couch'.

He said North are probably in a better position heading into next year, and will probably finish higher than Melbourne in 2011. However, he then went on to say in the long term Melbourne had more depth and promise.

Interesting thoughts...

P.S. Sweetleftfoot....pack it in m8. You're embarrassing yourself.

James Hird had some interesting comments on these two teams on 'On the Couch'.

He said North are probably in a better position heading into next year, and will probably finish higher than Melbourne in 2011. However, he then went on to say in the long term Melbourne had more depth and promise.

Interesting thoughts...

P.S. Sweetleftfoot....pack it in m8. You're embarrassing yourself.

If I had to predict the positions of these two teams in 2011 it would be:

Ninth Melbourne: 9th again.
Melbourne: 5th to 8th.

No doubt melbourne will be a contender in the next 2 to 3 years. Not North.

You're next 7 years will be very much like the last 7 years. Mediocre ladder positions, but with one subtle difference. Instead of "gold coast", the focus will be shifted to "Tassy".
FFS, people who spent all of 2007 confidently predicting that North would move to the Gold Coast really ought to think twice........perhaps even once would be a good start..........before offering their expert opinion on the club's future.

That's the poor old Dees up faeces creek then and us guaranteed top four.

Would waltz into your midfield mate. Better than ANY Melbourne on-baller, and will widen that gap by streets as the seasons go by. An absolute certainty to be ranked among the elite in a very short period of time. Only injuries due to a young immature and growing body have stopped him so far.

Will be our next captain in my opinion.

Given you're so certain, based on what?

Melbourne have had a lot of higher draft picks, which I think is what gets them attention, and we continue to have the after-effects of the Laidley-years' stigma, but beyond these simple and simplistic impressions, what in-depth assessments do you have?

If you don't have them, that's fine. Just curious if your view goes beyond the vein of a quick retort, or if there's more to it.

(Same could be asked of James Hird too, of course.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back