News Melbourne's Next Coach - Roos for 2-3 years with a succession plan

WHO DO YOU WANT?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more they get upset the more I love it...the are like children throwing a tantrums because we are finally sorting ourselves out.

Our off field is getting seriously formidable, can you imagine if we get a scott burns/ adam simpson or even both, tudor, stone and walsh? bigfooty will explode

I'm not convinced this 2-3 year succession plan is the correct plan, we have just appointed a new coach and we are already talking about the next. This does not seem like the same succession plan Roos had at sydney. This seems more like we are training up the next coach. Our first aim should be to build a strong club and culture, once that has been established and you have strong candidates that have been involved with this strong culture to take over then you could start talking about someone succeeding the coach.

Paul Roos is a very good person to be leading the club back up the ladder and building a strong culture but is that going to be achievable in only 2-3 years?

I'm not convinced this 2-3 year succession plan is the correct plan, we have just appointed a new coach and we are already talking about the next. This does not seem like the same succession plan Roos had at sydney. This seems more like we are training up the next coach. Our first aim should be to build a strong club and culture, once that has been established and you have strong candidates that have been evolved with this strong culture to take over then you could start talking about someone succeeding the coach.

Paul Roos is a very good person to be leading the club back up the ladder and building a strong culture but is that going to be achievable in only 2-3 years?

by all reports the players are excited, we are next to confirmed to be keep colin and jack and he is bringing good people to the club!!! ALSO!!! lets not forget, the rumour (which makes sense) he will be director of coaching

by all reports the players are excited, we are next to confirmed to be keep colin and jack and he is bringing good people to the club!!! ALSO!!! lets not forget, the rumour (which makes sense) he will be director of coaching
Of course it's exciting to get such a strong person as Roos in as coach, there is just no guarantees the succeeding coach will be succeeding in a strong cultured club. By the club already talking about a succeeding coach is saying that the club will 100% have a strong culture in 2-3 years. Think there is a lot work needing to be done before we can say we have a strong culture.

Of course it's exciting to get such a strong person as Roos in as coach, there is just no guarantees the succeeding coach will be succeeding in a strong cultured club. By the club already talking about a succeeding coach is saying that the club will 100% have a strong culture in 2-3 years. Think there is a lot work needing to be done before we can say we have a strong culture.

its mainly about getting people to the club in the first place imo, roos will bring mids, he aint silly!

I have complete faith, I dont think he will win a premiership in those 3 years (wont ever be 2...)

its mainly about getting people to the club in the first place imo, roos will bring mids, he aint silly!

I have complete faith, I dont think he will win a premiership in those 3 years (wont ever be 2...)
I like how Roos loves his mids, and he will build the best midfield he can and I have faith he'll do that.

It's just talking about someone taking over before the work has been done. If we had just appointed Roos without talking of a succession plan and in 2 years the club has turned around and is in a strong position and Roos decides to step down and hand it over to an assistant that has learnt under him then that'll be great. But talking about someone succeeding before all the work is done just seems silly to me.

I think people are missing the fact that the only reason Roos took on this job is because of te conditions put in place

If he can train up a burns or Simpson under Roos that's an amazing opportunity
Burns has spent 5 years under Worsfold at West Coast, they would be silly to appoint someone from outside of the club.

Simpson has spent 3 years under Clarkson at Hawthorn, and if I was Hawthorn I would be grooming him to replace Clarkson as the era will becoming to an end in a few years time.

Not sure those 2 will be leaving their clubs. I think our best candidate would be Todd Viney, has spent many years as an assistant and was considered to take over from Neil Craig in a succession plan at Adelaide before he returned home, then have James McDonald as his right hand man.

He is basically coming in to right this sinking ship then step aside but become supreme overlord of the MFC.

We will have a different coach in 3 years but Roosy will still be keeping an eye on the place in some capacity.

I cannot overstate the brilliance of Peter Jackson. He has talked a guy who did not want to coach into coaching the worst club getting around in sometime. PJ changed his attack strategy so we could get Roos. He pitched the succession plan which I think is pure genius because we probably wouldn't have got Roos otherwise. Now we have a great chance of getting the best assistants around and other football staff too.

This is more than just a new coach. This is PJ completely remodeling the culture at the MFC and setting up for sustained success on and off the field.

For me it is more imperative that we extend PJs contract than Roos. He has ALL the right moves.

Burns has spent 5 years under Worsfold at West Coast, they would be silly to appoint someone from outside of the club.

Simpson has spent 3 years under Clarkson at Hawthorn, and if I was Hawthorn I would be grooming him to replace Clarkson as the era will becoming to an end in a few years time.

Not sure those 2 will be leaving their clubs. I think our best candidate would be Todd Viney, has spent many years as an assistant and was considered to take over from Neil Craig in a succession plan at Adelaide before he returned home, then have James McDonald as his right hand man.
James McDonald has turned down a return to Melbourne to stay at GWS which was mentioned on FC the other night, if that is the truth it is devastating but I don't really blame him.

And if the article below is correct then it would seem that both are keen on the position and we have spoken to both.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-under-paul-roos/story-fni5f91a-1226716458562

I would personally like to see Burns get the job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both have been interviewed for the Melbourne job an both have expressed interest, it is definently a chance

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ad...-under-paul-roos/story-fndv8pdq-1226716458562

Manager Craig Kelly, of ESP, said Simpson and Burns were battle-hardened and ready to become senior coaches.

But the huge potential for something special under Roos also appeals to both, and Melbourne having spoken to them.

From memory he used to wear a long sleeve jumper, no.33 at kangas, great player. Was a development coach at Sydney & was kangas forward line coach this year, probably explains Leigh Brown leaving.
Canberra boy too iirc?

From memory he used to wear a long sleeve jumper, no.33 at kangas, great player. Was a development coach at Sydney & was kangas forward line coach this year, probably explains Leigh Brown leaving.

Was a good footy player back in the day

Gutsy player too as i remember , bit tough on Brown i guess . Not having the twin peaks on the park for most of the year didn't make it any easier for him , but i have wanted a cleanout of the FD so am glad its happening . Welcome B.Allison :)

Gutsy player too as i remember , bit tough on Brown i guess . Not having the twin peaks on the park for most of the year didn't make it any easier for him , but i have wanted a cleanout of the FD so am glad its happening . Welcome B.Allison :)

I agree with you, I think Brown did a great job with what he had. Tarnished with the Neeld brush so had to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back