News Melbourne's Next Coach - Roos for 2-3 years with a succession plan

WHO DO YOU WANT?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a couple of trusted blokes over at Demonland who are claiming Roos is a better than even money chance to come to us. Would make sense given the AFL and PJ are involved, plus Roos' cryptic comments recently..

Should we land the big fish, I doubt it would be announced until Round 20ish at the earliest. Would be far too morale-sapping for Craig to coach out a big chunk of games knowing he was out the door next year.

I think it's almost certain the coach will come out of Roos (likely), Choco or Eade. Imagine the LOLz if we appointed an unknown assistant from another club with "big wraps" on them.

There's a couple of trusted blokes over at Demonland who are claiming Roos is a better than even money chance to come to us. Would make sense given the AFL and PJ are involved, plus Roos' cryptic comments recently..

Should we land the big fish, I doubt it would be announced until Round 20ish at the earliest. Would be far too morale-sapping for Craig to coach out a big chunk of games knowing he was out the door next year.

I think it's almost certain the coach will come out of Roos (likely), Choco or Eade. Imagine the LOLz if we appointed an unknown assistant from another club with "big wraps" on them.

I was just reading that thread.

Could you imagine it

Paul Roos - signed sealed and delivered to us by the AFL

Oh and have the AFL throwing in a priority pick to boot

Oh to be hated once again by other clubs

"Bring it on" :)

Roos or Eade and I'm happy.

I think Craig would understand the situation we are in and that he is just keeping the seat warm. He should just steer the ship and hope to get his old job for next season.

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here but if Roos was to sign with us, it would be interesting to see how he handled our 1st round draft picks both this year and in future seasons. He was famous at the Swans for shipping out first-round picks for under-developed, under-utilised role-players and more often than not they were very successful trades. Having said that he never had picks at the pointy end like we will have this year.

I'll settle for one of either Choco or Eade.

Roos would be good for the culture but I'm starting to think tactically he might be behind by today's standards.

As long as we get one of these 3 guys, I'm cool with it. If we don't, I'll be mighty ticked off. We need a big respect factor to turn our club culture around. These 3 guys have the credibility to do it.

I have mentioned in a previous post about my reservations regarding Roos and his actual tactical ability.
He was surrounded by exceptional assistant coaches in Lyon and Longmire, who have gone on to show they are amongst the best football minds around.
This still doesn't necessarily discount him as our number 1 target in my eyes, as he brings plenty of other qualities which we require, one of which may be identifying the best up and coming assistant coaches and fully utilising their abilities.
I really just want to get someone who will make it fun to go to the footy again, and it is fun not only to win but at least believe you have a chance every week.
Don't care about whether it is attractive to watch or not, and one thing about those being touted as next coach is that they will build a game plan not only around their beliefs, they seem smart enough and flexible enough to bend it to suit the list at their disposal.

i dont think melbourne should go for anyone like paul roos, you would be mad to want him, been out of the game for far too long, you want to go forwards not backwards, why would your club want to pick up a recycled senior coach who recieved the arse at another club? if you cant poach a current AFL top coach, then go for the best quality assistant going around in the AFL, regardless of how young or inexperienced

i think melbourne should do one of two things, either go for a top line AFL coach currently, or go for the best young innovative coach out there, go for the best at either spectrum and only settle for that

if you put forth the right people this time to select a quality young coach, it will happen, just look at geelong with both chris scott and mark thompson, both were 35 when we appointed them head coach, and look how that panned out

the young quality assistants are often the ones with the best ideas and innovations going forward compared to the old laggards that have been circulating around for a long time

the young quality assistants are often the ones with the best ideas and innovations going forward compared to the old laggards that have been circulating around for a long time

That's what we thought when we got Neeld...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i dont think melbourne should go for anyone like paul roos, you would be mad to want him, been out of the game for far too long, you want to go forwards not backwards, why would your club want to pick up a recycled senior coach who recieved the arse at another club? if you cant poach a current AFL top coach, then go for the best quality assistant going around in the AFL, regardless of how young or inexperienced

i think melbourne should do one of two things, either go for a top line AFL coach currently, or go for the best young innovative coach out there, go for the best at either spectrum and only settle for that

if you put forth the right people this time to select a quality young coach, it will happen, just look at geelong with both chris scott and mark thompson, both were 35 when we appointed them head coach, and look how that panned out

Stop talking like Scott is a good coach.

That's what we thought when we got Neeld...
but he wasnt a good coach, if you get the right people to make the right choice this time around and pick a good up and coming coach, it will be a lot better than picking up a recyled coach that other clubs have rejected in the past such as ratten or knights, wouldnt touch either

how about scott burns? what is the go with him

but he wasnt a good coach, if you get the right people to make the right choice this time around and pick a good up and coming coach, it will be a lot better than picking up a recyled coach that other clubs have rejected in the past such as ratten or knights, wouldnt touch either

how about scott burns? what is the go with him

Neeld was a highly recommended assistant coach, coming from a very successful club.

I think Melbourne need a coach with previous coaching experience in the top job that can come in and immediately demand the respect of the playing group and not be learning on the job. If they've won a premiership whilst being a head coach of an AFL team, then that's a plus.

i dont think melbourne should go for anyone like paul roos, you would be mad to want him, been out of the game for far too long, you want to go forwards not backwards, why would your club want to pick up a recycled senior coach who recieved the arse at another club?

Upwards, not forwards.

Upwards, not forwards.

And always twirling, twirling, twirrrrling!

IHFrqX.gif

Thank god, neeld was just awful. Didn't all you fans just know he was going to be terrible from the get-go? It was always obvious to me, must be frustrating. Well you simply wont get Clarkson or roos, absolutely not.

i've got a funny feeling that weedy man craig will get a few wins out of you boys this year and snivel-weasel his way into another senior coaching role, that's exactly how he got the crows job, had initial success, then failed epically with a list that any respectable coach would've got 2 or 3 GF appearances out of.

I think Mark Williams would fit the role perfectly. Hard ass alberton man who will get effort out of your boys at the very least.

The sacking of daniher was about when your club became terrible, perhaps rehiring him will lift the curse.

Ok, that's that sorted. Now, to work out how to lift the crows' curse...

***EDIT - Just learned that daniher stayed on until 2007, didn't realise that. For some reason, I thought he got sacked in like 2001 or 2002. So I don't know how to lift your curse.

So when was it then? I mean, what do most Dee's fans remember as a major downturn in the club's recent fortunes?

I fear that I will remember this Tippett saga as a crippling event in my beloved crows' history.

Thank god, neeld was just awful. Didn't all you fans just know he was going to be terrible from the get-go? It was always obvious to me, must be frustrating. Well you simply wont get Clarkson or roos, absolutely not.

i've got a funny feeling that weedy man craig will get a few wins out of you boys this year and snivel-weasel his way into another senior coaching role, that's exactly how he got the crows job, had initial success, then failed epically with a list that any respectable coach would've got 2 or 3 GF appearances out of.

I think Mark Williams would fit the role perfectly. Hard arse alberton man who will get effort out of your boys at the very least.

The sacking of daniher was about when your club became terrible, perhaps rehiring him will lift the curse.

Ok, that's that sorted. Now, to work out how to lift the crows' curse...

***EDIT - Just learned that daniher stayed on until 2007, didn't realise that. For some reason, I thought he got sacked in like 2001 or 2002. So I don't know how to lift your curse.

So when was it then? I mean, what do most Dee's fans remember as a major downturn in the club's recent fortunes?

I fear that I will remember this Tippett saga as a crippling event in my beloved crows' history.

The day that dean bailey, Connolly , Schwab and stynes decided to play for draft picks

Of the available coaches with experience (that are considered available), Clarkson looks the best on paper. Mark Thompson would have to be considered. Neil Craig would have to be too as the 18th all time best win/loss percentage.

Rank Coach Games Wins Loses %
5 Ross Lyon 156 99 52 63.50%
8 Mark Thompson 260 161 96 61.90%
10 Alastair Clarkson 200 118 81 59.00%
14 Leigh Matthews 442 255 179 57.70%
15 Paul Roos 202 116 84 57.40%
18 Neil Craig 166 92 74 55.40%
19 Mark Williams 274 151 121 55.10%
22 Kevin Sheedy 525 285 233 54.30%
23 John Worsfold 272 147 123 54.00%
24 Rodney Eade 317 171 142 53.90%
26 Gary Ayres 223 120 102 53.80%