News Melbourne's Next Coach - Roos for 2-3 years with a succession plan

WHO DO YOU WANT?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at the local pub for the SEN Footy Panel today, David Schwarz (he gave me a signed footy too :thumbsu: ) says he believes Paul Roos will be Melbourne's next coach. When asked how certain, he replied '97%'.

I'll take it with a grain of salt (for now).

Clearly there is the explanation for the betting crunch on Roos...Schwarz back to his old ways. ;)

Clearly there is the explanation for the betting crunch on Roos...Schwarz back to his old ways. ;)

The start was funny too. KB to Schwarz - 'You called for the coach to go, you called for the president, everyone to go, and now they've won a game and you've proclaimed yourself as the saviour!'

Did lol

We could do worse than have Schwarz involved at the club. Even when he hated Daniher he was still a total professional.

He may have hated Daniher, but he respected him as coach.

I'm hearing more interesting developments which do not surround Roos.

Apparently Worsfold has split with his wife (which may explain his loopiness at press conferences this year), and is preparing a move back to Victoria. Can't confirm this...

Noises are getting louder and over the last 48 hours or so he has moved from $17 to $11 with Sportsbet.

Interesting but I don't see it happening.

Was at the local pub for the SEN Footy Panel today, David Schwarz (he gave me a signed footy too :thumbsu: ) says he believes Paul Roos will be Melbourne's next coach. When asked how certain, he replied '97%'.

I was at the footy show a couple of weeks ago and Gary Lyon was asked after the show if he thought Roos would coach Melbourne and he was pretty certain he wouldn't.

Obviously something could have changed in the last couple of weeks though

I was at the footy show a couple of weeks ago and Gary Lyon was asked after the show if he thought Roos would coach Melbourne and he was pretty certain he wouldn't.

Obviously something could have changed in the last couple of weeks though

Let's be honest, I think the only person who knows if Roos will coach Melbourne is Roos.

The Ox doesn't know, and Garry certainly doesn't know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have thought it was likely that Roos would bring a similar (but not identical) plan to the one he had at Sydney. Look at Lyon and Freo. Obvs it will be different but it's probably the way the fundamentals are taught that means there's a certain amount of 'sameness' to it.

Could be wrong, however. Naturally has a lot to do with the players on the park too.

Thats where rocket would be great, or Williams.

Port and the Dogs were both very attacking sides under those two.

And with our athleticism across the ground, I think it would be an amazing sight.

Thats where rocket would be great, or Williams.

Port and the Dogs were both very attacking sides under those two.

And with our athleticism across the ground, I think it would be an amazing sight.

This is what leans me to Choco. Also he's a nutter and wears a suit.
MN made a mistake in attempting to cram a contested, defensive, stilted game plan on an attacking, play-on list.
Sure Neeld is no Roos, obviously.
We look good rebounding, and will look better with Hollywood Hulk (he's earning another prefix) on the end of it.

While Eade hasn't coached anyone to a flag he does strike me as what we need now.
Seems to adapt his game plan to suit his list, as his Swans teams and Doggie teams played very different game styles but always suited the respective lists.
I would be happy to get either Eade or Roos with the jury out on Williams.
Craig is an interesting one as the players would seem to have had a huge weight lifted by him and are at least playing like they enjoy it. The game style is what Neeld was trying to implement but never could while Craig has it going after a couple of weeks and a couple of tweaks.
If this continues who knows but whatever happens it would be great to see Craig remain in some capacity.

I think Roos can coach though. Sydney don't have one gameplan. They have two, maybe 3. There's the recognised lockdown. There's also an up-tempo high-scoring one, featuring midfield goals. And there's also a combination plan, where they run the lockdown but look for counters.

I too am warming to Craig, and not quite as invested in Roos anymore; although I think he would be great for our culture. Current prefernces:

Roos/Choco (=1st)
Eade
Craig (could go higher if we keep playing attractive football).

Here's a thought: the players seem to be warming to Craig, but how much stock should we place in their opinion? Some of them have now effectively 'seen off' (i.e. forced out) two coaches.

I don't really know how it works, how much do the board consider player preference when selecting a coach? I.e. in my mind Roos is a better coach than Craig, but if the players respect Craig more, surely he becomes the 'better' coach?

Should the players deserve to say who coaches them? What if they crack the sads again with a new coach (a la Neeld), esp. if it's Roos or Choco?

I too am warming to Craig, and not quite as invested in Roos anymore; although I think he would be great for our culture. Current prefernces:

Roos/Choco (=1st)
Eade
Craig (could go higher if we keep playing attractive football).

Here's a thought: the players seem to be warming to Craig, but how much stock should we place in their opinion? Some of them have now effectively 'seen off' (i.e. forced out) two coaches.

I don't really know how it works, how much do the board consider player preference when selecting a coach? I.e. in my mind Roos is a better coach than Craig, but if the players respect Craig more, surely he becomes the 'better' coach?

Should the players deserve to say who coaches them? What if they crack the sads again with a new coach (a la Neeld), esp. if it's Roos or Choco?

I agree to some capacity, although i would think that someone like Roos or Williams etc would demand more respect. If you have a coach who has achieved the ultimate goal in football then you believe in his ability to take you there....Neeld and Baily said they couls but never convinced the players that they actually could

What's with The Ox's precise percentages? He said Scully was 98% gone too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back