Membership 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been a September member for 30+ years and never bought a grand final ticket, mainly because I've been scared off by the cost of flights and accommodation. I'm now in my mid-50s and determined to see us play in a GF in person before I clock off.

Can anyone give me some advice on the best way someone in Bris can affordably go to the GF, ticket availability aside? Am I right in thinking you can buy flights that can be refunded within x days of the departure date? How far ahead should I be looking to do that? How do you go about doing refundable accommodation - AirBnB?

As has been suggested buy flights early... however be careful. Both carriers have different tiers of flights - some can't be cancelled, some can be cancelled for an airline credit and some can be refunded... all have fees attached to do so which you just have to be prepared to wear.

The catch with the credit ones is that you must use that credit within 12 months and on a higher priced fare only.

If you watch for sales from the airlines, the fully refundable ones aren't bad.

Accommodation down there was still reasonably available even with 2 non Vic teams... and some places were pretty good value - still in the $200's a night range for great accommodation - but perhaps with a $10 or $15 Didi or Uber fare attached to get to the ground. Again if you are clever you can book accommodation that has zero cancellation fees up to 24 hours before you are due to check in.

Either way mate you just have to accept it's not a cheap exercise.

I would estimate we spent close to $7000 by the time we paid for flights, tickets to the game and events, accommodation, food, travel etc for 2 of us. We were down there 5 nights but.

But would I recommend it??? Hell yes. I have been lucky enough to go to 5 out of 6 GF's now... It's an experience you will talk about and reminisce about forever... long after you forget the cost.

I've been a September member for 30+ years and never bought a grand final ticket, mainly because I've been scared off by the cost of flights and accommodation. I'm now in my mid-50s and determined to see us play in a GF in person before I clock off.

Can anyone give me some advice on the best way someone in Bris can affordably go to the GF, ticket availability aside? Am I right in thinking you can buy flights that can be refunded within x days of the departure date? How far ahead should I be looking to do that? How do you go about doing refundable accommodation - AirBnB?

You can buy a qantas standard flight and if we don’t make it pay $99 to cancel it and receive the remainder in flight credit. That’s what I did.

Thanks all, appreciate all the advice. How early in 2025 should I be looking for flights?

Just wait until the airlines have sales. Only book Qantas or virgin imo.

Become a frequent flyer member to both airlines and subscribe to the emails they will send you. You'll get notified of sales that way. I'd think after the midway point of the year you'll be fine.
I a1ways book the Qantas Red - E-deals and once the fixture is out you can make get some awesome deals. Went and saw the Lions years ago when we beat the Hawks down there for the first time on a cheap as chips flight

Thanks all, appreciate all the advice. How early in 2025 should I be looking for flights?
As others have mentioned it is a gamble booking early as making the GF is not easy.
it is up to you and whoever you may be going with to make an informed choice
If you can't use a credit then need to look for one that has a cash refund that costs $99 at Virgin. Usually offered with Flex and Business
We booked flights 4/8/24 and selected "choice" the price then was $277 with a $99 cancel fee for a Virgin credit.
Our return flight was Sunday 6.40pm also "choice" the cost $361. Total single return $638
From memory at that time Flex was still $485 at that time but business was around $1,300

The images below i just took from Virgin. It is August a Fri-Sunday as September not on sale yet.
You will notice the price is $149 for "choice" but no option to pay $99 for a credit (no green tick yet).
The return flight was Sunday and price is higher at $179 for "choice" still no credit option ticked.
I assume these varying prices and options change as the months go by.

Unless i am reading it wrong the Business class is pretty good at $440 with no mention of a cancellation fee
Quantas for comparison just for Friday

As others have mentioned accommodation relatively easy to cancel just make sure it is Tuesday or after in the week before the GF. Just find something suitable price wise and close or not far from the CBD unless close to train or tram

1727946095412.png

1727946395710.png

Qantas

1727947735830.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Membership 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back