Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that's a worthwhile point you make regarding the 'edge' not being just about smashing headlong into every contest.

Running hard all day, maintaining discipline and structure through fatigue and so on are as much part of it as laying heavy tackles or backing into a pack flying for the ball.

I think that's a worthwhile point you make regarding the 'edge' not being just about smashing headlong into every contest.

Running hard all day, maintaining discipline and structure through fatigue and so on are as much part of it as laying heavy tackles or backing into a pack flying for the ball.
And being professional enough to take every step to prepare yourself to do it.

it is just a marketing wank term, let’s be honest.
It maybe wank but it can be used a tool when the media gets hold of it. It is one thing for the media to go along and highlight our lack of defending and under performing . It is another when they start calling you soft when you show no edge. I do not think it is marketing at all. The whole side is now going to live and die by how soft they are for the rest of the year now. The spotlight is now actually more focused and those outside us supporters will be looking harder. A coach can do it like Craig Bellamy and flat out say his players where no good today or he can play a little game with the media to get the spotlight shining hard on the playing group.

it is just a marketing wank term, let’s be honest.
I don't mind it. For a coach I'd guess it helps to have something to describe or encapsulate the concept you're trying to get across, and ultimately you want it to become a brand as much as 'bloods culture' is.

I don't mind it. For a coach I'd guess it helps to have something to describe or encapsulate the concept you're trying to get across, and ultimately you want it to become a brand as much as 'bloods culture' is.
Or shinboner spirit?

Ahhh we’ve already reached the stage where the media are calling essendons list s**t and that they’re going nowhere. Weren’t they ripping into Brad Scott a few weeks ago when he pleaded for patience and they said he should be talking us up. It’s always so obvious the narratives they’re planning to run.

Ahhh we’ve already reached the stage where the media are calling essendons list s**t and that they’re going nowhere. Weren’t they ripping into Brad Scott a few weeks ago when he pleaded for patience and they said he should be talking us up. It’s always so obvious the narratives they’re planning to run.
I just hope he has enough seniority/gravitas for the board to not also play their part in the same cycle.

here's how toughness, effort, competitiveness and all that stuff works.

Did your team/player perform above or below expectations?

if above? Wow! So hard at the contest. Very tough! [insert video of one player exemplifying these characteristics]

if below? Disgrace! Very soft, no effort. [insert video of two or more players exemplifying these characteristics]

it means everything and nothing. it means nothing, because the syntax above is how it works, it just does. so if it's that predictable in how it's called out, is it really serious? it means everything, because of that old chestnut: players can't control how big they are or how quick they are, but they can how hard they try! and so to condemn their toughness and effort is the most damning thing you can do.

in essendon's case, we have underperformed expectations for 20 years. therefore, we lack toughness. therefore, we need to restore the toughness. because players can't control how big they are or how quick they are, but they can how hard they try!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

here's how toughness, effort, competitiveness and all that stuff works.

Did your team/player perform above or below expectations?

if above? Wow! So hard at the contest. Very tough! [insert video of one player exemplifying these characteristics]

if below? Disgrace! Very soft, no effort. [insert video of two or more players exemplifying these characteristics]

it means everything and nothing. it means nothing, because the syntax above is how it works, it just does. so if it's that predictable in how it's called out, is it really serious? it means everything, because of that old chestnut: players can't control how big they are or how quick they are, but they can how hard they try! and so to condemn their toughness and effort is the most damning thing you can do.

in essendon's case, we have underperformed expectations for 20 years. therefore, we lack toughness. therefore, we need to restore the toughness. because players can't control how big they are or how quick they are, but they can how hard they try!
oh please. competitiveness is teams that don't get flogged by 60 points + regularly.

not even sure what point you're trying to make? that people use words to describe football?

that many people use these emotional buzz words, which now includes all things essendon edge related, to get around actually discussing football. If these words are only ever used as a critique when things are bad, it's probably not actually a worthwhile critique.

essendon hasn't actually been lacking in toughness for the last 20 years. we've just sucked. the essendon edge will return when the team is actually good.

I don’t mind it either. It gives them a level of accountability to aspire to. Obviously they fell short of it on the weekend but to put the microscope on the failure to reach that is not necessary a bad thing imo.

Pretty inspired coaching if he's deliberately publicised The Edge so the media will kick the s**t out of them whenever they drop their bundle

he's throwing the edge gimmick under the bus by telling the truth about today's effort not being much different than last week's effort. poor commitment to the bit

Playing the 200cm Cox on the wing and leaving our backline seriously short is interesting.
It’s an interesting debate. Cox seemed to play more forward tonight despite backline outs. Starting off forward off the bounce a great times on tv.

Interested to know from people at game where he mainly lined up?

It’s an interesting debate. Cox seemed to play more forward tonight despite backline outs. Starting off forward off the bounce a great times on tv.

Interested to know from people at game where he mainly lined up?
Mainly wing or half back from what I saw. Leaving cox on the wing and having redman on Darcy was bizarre coaching from Scott

Did some really strange things tonight, but I mean, it worked…

At one stage Menzie was bodying Treloar at stoppages before he dinged his shoulder. One ruck was basically tagging Liam Jones while the other one was on the bench with Cox rotating between ruck/wing and defensive sweeper at stoppages, Redman was on Darcy all night and no one went near Weightman all night and neither did the footy.

Not hard to make Bevo look like an absolute donkey but he certainly did.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Loving a balanced coach. Not getting carried away this week on the high. Didn’t go too reactive off last week.
(Nick) Hind sight:
  • Didn’t make a big statement by dropping players
  • Addressed issues from last week
  • Team motivated to respond
Easy to see why he’s the coach and the foamers are just posting on big footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back