Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty inspired coaching if he's deliberately publicised The Edge so the media will kick the s**t out of them whenever they drop their bundle
Yes. Kudos Brad. Edge is his psychological line in the sand. It's the standard now. Each individual knows what it is and is either playing to that standard or not. There's actually no getting away from it because it makes them accountable to each other now; they're finally all on the same page.

Truck's blue-collar mantra wasn't wrong and he think he did instil in them some recognition of how consistent they need to be with their work ethic, but the edge is it. It's the standard. Now to push that edge.

Starting with Tsatas. Your view is 1 +1=3. Scott had no time to have any real plan for the FA / Trade / Draft period . He was appointed about 8 weeks before hand and he did not doo a deep dive into the list or the club for that matter. He was named coach on September 30. At that stage all he really could do was watch replays of how we played and some vision of under 18 stuff. Yes he could have a discussion with the recruiters and yes he could outline his views on game style. The info I have is yes line breaking speed was on thing we needed. Another was burst impact from a power athlete around clearance. (hence Jake Stringer being trained up as more of a power athlete and not a midfield runner). At the end of the day what I was told Scott outlined his thoughts on game style but it was those who spent the whole year watching that would make the final call. The final call was from RFK who thought Tsatas had the most upside and an ability to develop into a player with outside pace but also in time an ability to power from the inside as well. Right call or wrong call it was 1000000000000% not Scott picking Tsatas.

You can rubbish it. That is fine. The fact is the key players in all of this have not had 16 to 18 months. The bloke that Scott answers to started In December 20 2022 with the brief of fixing the football department so that rules out him making any major changes 18 months ago to the list. He has had 1 Trade / FA / Draft period.
So we get to Gresham and Duursma. No edge you say but what is edge ? is it just blokes who love playing physical football ? Maybe it is when you look at it. That is fine. For me edge is a lot of stuff. Physical players. Outside players who can run all day so they train at the level to maximize their ability. Players that come in and play their role.
So what is really wrong with bringing in a bloke who can run up and down the wing all day and cover 15km every week and play a role in the team defense ?

What is wrong with a Gresham type who can kick 35 odd goals and play his role despite him not being a physical animal ?
You bring in players who can play a role. They can give you something you do not have. They do not all have to be hard. How many "hard" players did the Pies have to win their flag ? how many of them hard "hard" edge ? or did a percentage of them have and edge by being able to play a role. To run all day on the outside.

Yes we need to find some more "hard" edge players for sure. Yes I agree we tinkered with the edges brining in the blokes we did. Gresham and Duursma alone are not going to change a lot other than bring a skill set to one apsect of the game which both are an upgrade. Bit of finishing class as a forward and some endurance run on a wing given they want to play Durham on the inside to actually add some hard edge on the inside.

You see edge as just someone who goes hard. I see edge differently and it comes from my experience on the coaching side of things. As an assistant / development coach (Div 1 side) I worked on trying to show the kids how to get an edge on several fronts and it was not just running through brick walls and being hard. It was maximizing their own level be that hard inside or outside run or in the case of the kids with limited attributes to just be better than the bloke on the other side with limited attributes by pushing yourself 5% more or 10% more. You do not have to be better than all of the opposition. You just have to be better than where you started from and the oppositions 18th best player or 2oth best player.
That is what edge is to me. Would I like more hard edge. Yes. Would I like more leadership edge. Yes. Am I going to blow up because we got a couple of guys who are not really hard edge but do have other attributes. No. You can that is fine. You can draw all the conclusions you want to. That is fine. You may even be right but that is not my opinion now.

How do you get edge from FF ? Okay I have an advantage. I saw the match SIM all through Jan / Feb where Caddy was not just FF but also attacking contests right up the wing. Going hard at the footy. Producing second and third efforts and pressure when he did not win the footy in the air. You have not really had the chance to see it as he got injured ( attacking a contest in match sim hard) and has had full VFL game. No practice match. He has plenty of hard edge and he likes to play that way. He can make a very big impact on the edge of the side when the opposition are worried when he comes up behind them in a contest. It is not simply a midfield thing.

On top of that Scott knows they needed more strength in the middle which is why he played Perkins there last year despite his clearance work not really being up to it. It is why Durham has been given a role. I am not totally on your page here. Yes I would like another big bloke who can play a bit in the mix but they have looked at beefing up the midfield.

Now we get to Roberts. The knock on him was never competitor and not attacking the contest. The knock was he was a bit on the weedy side and lacked a bit of strength and his one on one defending was not great. He was never looked at as someone who was a bit soft. He was looked at as someone who if he built up the body a bit he would be a very good player. Again having seen the match sim and the VFL live he has not issues with the contest and getting in and winning the footy. He is not just an outside distributor.

Not sure what you are trying to say about Lual but anyway his downfall will be his scrappy kicking at times. Otherwise he has enough competitor in him and line breaking speed to take the game on. He goes when he has to.

So we get back to the edge. I guess if you just think edge is playing hard inside then you are not buying anything. That's okay. Personally I would have liked some more hard inside players. I would have liked a Pickett over a Gresham. However my view is you just have to build parts where you can build them.

The other part is Scott is only one name. Yes he is the coach and gets a say on the players he may get but we also have Vozza as the guy he answers to and he is not a X Campbell. His specific brief is football department and he is the guy who was list manager when the Eagles won a flag on the back of a balance of inside grunt and classy outside run. he has a couple of fellow Eagles with him in key roles. He is a bloke Scott can not bluff as he has been around and seen it all.

We will not agree and people may think it is a bit wishy washy but my view is I am not going to jump up and down now based on the limited time. You say ' well they have had 18 months" but 18 months is not long enough to build anything in AFL land when you are at the starting point we are. I have always said that it will be the end of this season and this FA/Trade/Draft period before I start lining it up. You want to jump early. Good for you. You may be right.

I will respond to this when I have some time. It might take me the rest of the week.

Yes. Kudos Brad. Edge is his psychological line in the sand. It's the standard now. Each individual knows what it is and is either playing to that standard or not. There's actually no getting away from it because it makes them accountable to each other now; they're finally all on the same page.

Truck's blue-collar mantra wasn't wrong and he think he did instil in them some recognition of how consistent they need to be with their work ethic, but the edge is it. It's the standard. Now to push that edge.
Agreed - and the publicising of the Edge makes it easier for him to stand ground against Coteries and other interest groups that might have challenged / influenced team selection decisions in the past 🤔

Have to give him credit for Sam Durham into the midfield. Simply a hard nut who likes physical footy.
Also for simplifying Perkins role in the midfield. Last year Archie was trying to anticipate and win every ball and he is just not that player. He does not have the same read that Parish does off the hand and the same reflex. What they did all summer was have him work on body position in front of his man and then if the ball comes his way you try and win it and if it does not you try and tackle and force another stoppage.
Also want to give him a tick for Nick Cox on Friday. It is well know that I hate Cox on the wing and I think he is better as a defender but on Friday he played defensive winger a bit and it worked as he knew his role was to push back and cover and he did not have to work out his balance between attack and defense which is where he comes unstuck on the wing and runs around in circles.
Running Durham on Bont and Caldwell on Libba was a winner .

I will respond to this when I have some time. It might take me the rest of the week.
Looking forward to it. I know you will have several different points of view so people will have plenty to chew on between the both of us. :thumbsu:

Have to give him credit for Sam Durham into the midfield. Simply a hard nut who likes physical footy.
Also for simplifying Perkins role in the midfield. Last year Archie was trying to anticipate and win every ball and he is just not that player. He does not have the same read that Parish does off the hand and the same reflex. What they did all summer was have him work on body position in front of his man and then if the ball comes his way you try and win it and if it does not you try and tackle and force another stoppage.
Also want to give him a tick for Nick Cox on Friday. It is well know that I hate Cox on the wing and I think he is better as a defender but on Friday he played defensive winger a bit and it worked as he knew his role was to push back and cover and he did not have to work out his balance between attack and defense which is where he comes unstuck on the wing and runs around in circles.
Running Durham on Bont and Caldwell on Libba was a winner .
Incremental system based improvements? We should give this Brad Scott guy some time, results aren't going to happen overnight but he could very well be on the right track.

Incremental system based improvements? We should give this Brad Scott guy some time, results aren't going to happen overnight but he could very well be on the right track.
I genuinely can't tell when you're joking or not anymore.

Well he will lose points this week as he should play Hayes over Laverde but I doubt he will.

Probably better off developing in the vfl.

I honestly don't think so this year. Going to be hard for him to develop alongside a bunch of blokes who are just VFL level, if that. He is one (probably along with Roberts) who really has earned a chance.

I'd rather him playing next to McKay.

He also doesn't have to come in forever. Give him a three game stretch - let him know he's got to do his job and play to a standard to hold his spot. I know it's a big if, but if Ridley and Reid come back, he'll also be sent back to the VFL. I think now's a really good time to give him a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly don't think so this year. Going to be hard for him to develop alongside a bunch of blokes who are just VFL level, if that. He is one (probably along with Roberts) who really has earned a chance.

He also doesn't have to come in forever. Give him a three game stretch - let him know he's got to do his job and play to a standard to hold his spot. I know it's a big if, but if Ridley and Reid come back, he'll also be sent back to the VFL. I think now's a really good time to give him a chance.
I am on board with him getting some games . We have a couple of injuries and Lav is not exactly shooting the lights out. I agree with you get him in now while he has been in really good form and give him a run for a bit.

Oh i actually think he should play seniors, but I thought that when Ridley and Reid went down.
I wouldn't have played Laverde at all.

Scott: 'You don’t get games gifted to you'​

I forget, can someone remind me if coach plays youth?

Ok, being a bit of a smart Alec there.

Not sure words are worth much… actions show more.

Personally, I’ll happy games are getting into Reid (if fit), Cox, ADJ (from last week), Archie, Hobbs, Duz getting a go in the middle etc

I am expecting Tsatas to be back this week. Even if as sub.

Don’t think Lav will get dropped.

Scott: 'You don’t get games gifted to you'​

I forget, can someone remind me if coach plays youth?

Ok, being a bit of a smart Alec there.

Not sure words are worth much… actions show more.

Personally, I’ll happy games are getting into Reid (if fit), Cox, ADJ (from last week), Archie, Hobbs, Duz getting a go in the middle etc

I am expecting Tsatas to be back this week. Even if as sub.

Don’t think Lav will get dropped.

The problem is not with the idea, it is clearly the correct one.

The problem is with the implement of the idea in a context in which the standard bearers are the ones who were gifted games and who do not set the benchmark at a level which is high enough.

Our 'development' for a long time now has just been picking winners and losers. If you're going to do that you have to deliver the talent and then coach it because that's what you're paid to do. It's the high point of cutting off your nose to spite your face to chose poor/unsuitable players for their attitude. Not to mention that they are generally not setting a high enough standard anyway.

Durham as a midfielder might end up being the move of the season and unlike moving Langford forward last year (which was amazing in terms of impact) it wasn't forced upon us due to injury, he actually started training him there preseason.

Week to week though there is still a lot of variance in how we play, in particular how we defend. Hopefully he'll be able to get our gamestyle working so that we are a lot more consistent.

Not sure if going tall was the right or wrong call, we really did stretch them and take away their intercept game but our forward pressure from last two weeks disappeared.

Regardless I thought there was some great planning and match day coaching by Scott and the team. People will look at the last quarter as proof martin should play up the ground always but I thought it was a brilliant move to make late in the game and almost turned the game on its head.

Same with Stringer going head to head with degoey early, I think everyone assumed it would be durham or caldwell but I was worried they may not have the strength to deal with his power game, stringer schooled him (just wish he had his kicking boots on).

How brilliant can the move of Martin forward and playing inside be when the reason he hasn't been there is because they have been pushing for him to play behind the ball? A position he is inferior at, to the detriment of the team robbing us of dynamic use ahead of the ball.
Having that type of talent forward half also allows for the forwards to better show what they can do so it allows for the better judgement of others games.

It's the Langford thing all over again, his best football is in one position, everyone should be able to see it. Langford was a natural in the forward half of the ground.
We did it with McGrath, trying to make him a mid.

Let's move him everywhere but that position. :drunk:

Sorry no, that's not brilliance and it's not some amazing coaching move, when the reason they are being played out of position is those coaches.

How brilliant can the move of Martin forward and playing inside be when the reason he hasn't been there is because they have been pushing for him to play behind the ball? A position he is inferior at, to the detriment of the team robbing us of dynamic use ahead of the ball.
Having that type of talent forward half also allows for the forwards to better show what they can do so it allows for the better judgement of others games.

It's the Langford thing all over again, his best football is in one position, everyone should be able to see it. Langford was a natural in the forward half of the ground.
We did it with McGrath, trying to make him a mid.

Let's move him everywhere but that position. :drunk:

Sorry no, that's not brilliance and it's not some amazing coaching move, when the reason they are being played out of position is those coaches.
Martin is still good in the backline though, I’m not against him staying behind the ball for the moment until we can find more users. Because if he goes forward it means one less spot for the over supply of flankers and means we have to find another small to play in the backline

martin is very fit and performs noticeably better in fourth quarters, so it may be that he would've had a dominant fourth quarter in any position.

of course, we will never know. all we can say is that he was moved and we got very close to winning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back