Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

From the outside, it feels like there's a deliberate distance between Brad and the players. Clearly they're 'playing for him' though. Appears to be very calm, in the box. He said they would take a season to observe, which appears to be exactly what happened, then worked on making adjustments etc, which so far have worked.
I was hopeful when he was appointed, but has exceeded my expectations. (As have the players)

From the outside, it feels like there's a deliberate distance between Brad and the players. Clearly they're 'playing for him' though. Appears to be very calm, in the box. He said they would take a season to observe, which appears to be exactly what happened, then worked on making adjustments etc, which so far have worked.
I was hopeful when he was appointed, but has exceeded my expectations. (As have the players)
Yep, he is their coach not buddy. Makes it much easier to make hard calls and commands respect.

He also communicates very clearly and forthright. Suspect instructions are very easy for the players to understand.

Yep, he is their coach not buddy. Makes it much easier to make hard calls and commands respect.

He also communicates very clearly and forthright. Suspect instructions are very easy for the players to understand.
some of the things said by players like stringer have demonstrated that brad's sought a more professional relationship with the players rather than being mates, which i think is important.

it's hard to drop your mates, or make tough decisisons. it's easier to make the best decision for the team if your relationship is purely professional

He said we could of won the last two games by 100 but we chose to stay in the contest and grind out a small win.
Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

Has got some issues, but being 2nd and having some issues is not the worst spot to be in.

Cox and Duursma are a big part of our shape on both wings and without either, we really become easy to transition against which we saw last night. I’m not sure anyone else on the list can do that so that’s a big concern.

I’m also no closer to working out what our best forward combination is and even then, can it kick a winning score and not leak 20 goals the other way?

Wright will come good at some stage and Langford and Stringer pick themselves. Jones brings critical spacing, Guelfi can tag, Davey is good for run and carry and makes things happen when he can find it, Hobbs and Caldwell so important for ground ball and midfield rotations, Draper probably can’t ruck a game on his own at the moment. Perkins is ensconced as well and isn’t going anywhere. Gresham has also been a pretty good add but has kicked one goal in the past 6 weeks on my count. CADDY?

I don’t even know what the structure is let alone the who. How he unravels this talented mess is beyond me.

Last edited:
Has got some issues, but being 2nd and having some issues is not the worst spot to be in.

Cox and Duursma are a big part of our shape on both wings and without either, we really become easy to transition against which we saw last night. I’m not sure anyone else on the list can do that so that’s a big concern.

I’m also no closer to working out what our best forward combination is and even then, can it kick a winning score and not leak 20 goals the other way?

Wright will come good at some stage and Langford and Stringer pick themselves. Jones brings critical spacing, Guelfi can tag, Davey is good for run and carry and makes things happen when he can find it, Hobbs and Caldwell so important for ground ball and midfield rotations, Draper probably can’t ruck a game on his own at the moment. Perkins is ensconced as well and isn’t going anywhere. CADDY?

I don’t even know what the structure is let alone the who. How he unravels this talented mess is beyond me.

In terms of this year I think what’s worked has been talls aka Dual ruck.

So Draper + Wright+ one of Goldy/Bryan all need to be picked.

assuming best 23 so one of these players is a sub that’s 5 extra forward spots available

You’d expect Langford Stringer and Gresham get 3 of those spots. Which leaves 2 spots left.

If you go 2x pressure forwards then you’re too small to some degree. But if you include jones you’re asking stringer to be a pressure forward and he’s just not fast enough for that.

A tricky puzzle for sure.

Of course if Jake can play midfield 50% of the time it does solve this issue but I doubt he can physically get there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In terms of this year I think what’s worked has been talls aka Dual ruck.

So Draper + Wright+ one of Goldy/Bryan all need to be picked.

assuming best 23 so one of these players is a sub that’s 5 extra forward spots available

You’d expect Langford Stringer and Gresham get 3 of those spots. Which leaves 2 spots left.

If you go 2x pressure forwards then you’re too small to some degree. But if you include jones you’re asking stringer to be a pressure forward and he’s just not fast enough for that.

A tricky puzzle for sure.

Of course if Jake can play midfield 50% of the time it does solve this issue but I doubt he can physically get there

And I actually completely forgot Gresham, who has had a forgettable 6 weeks to be honest.

It’s a bit of a shambles to be honest. But I guess competition for spots is always a good thing and the age profile on all of them is pretty good.

It’s a very foreign position for us and from memory, for Scott at North as well. We’re a bit of a defensive powerhouse with plenty of pieces in the forward line that we haven’t worked out what to do with yet.

And I actually completely forgot Gresham, who has had a forgettable 6 weeks to be honest.

It’s a bit of a shambles to be honest. But I guess competition for spots is always a good thing and the age profile on all of them is pretty good.

It’s a very foreign position for us and from memory, for Scott at North as well. We’re a bit of a defensive powerhouse with plenty of pieces in the forward line that we haven’t worked out what to do with yet.
Gresh is 4th in the comp for goal assists . He is flying just under the radar.

His score involvement and link up stuff is still good but he’s kicked 1 goal in his last 5 and a half games, and it’s not like he’s spraying it around either

His score involvement and link up stuff is still good but he’s kicked 1 goal in his last 5 and a half games, and it’s not like he’s spraying it around either
Personally I do not care if he is setting things up . Plays pretty high most of the time.

His ground ball work was excellent against Richmond. This is a strong feature of his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back