Merged clash jumper threads

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Clash Jumper Solutions

i have always thought Melbourne and Essendon is one of the worst

St Kilda made a clash with Collingwood when we changed our colours they had a red jumper, then went back to their black one and refuse to go back, even bringing in that other horrid striped jumper making it even worse

But the reason things were easier back in the old days is not only the speed of the game but the jumpers, the old woollen jumpers were fine, but the material used these days makes things worse as the colours blend more, sponsors logos add different colours, jumpers are different than they were back then even if the design is the same

One that was often annoying was the Pies with the black shorts, essendon white and Collingwood with emirates on the back, at the ground that could be hard even though realistically those 2 jumpers dont clash

One area of jumpers that can be changed without altering the strip is the numbers, should never have 2 teams with dark backs and white numbers or white backs and dark numbers

Re: Black and white striped jumpers that Collingwood could wear as a viable clash strip

Thanks for your input. The original Collingwood jumper, this is a great strip, and works well with the white shorts when you play Carlton.

It still clashes with North Melbourne and Geelong though, and as such isn't suitable for away games against these teams.
Thats why we have the current black jumper which when worn with black shorts whilst Geelong wear white and Kangas blue doesnt clash, which is one reason for the change back then, they were our only clash, Port wasnt an issue, the Saints were in the red jumper, everything was fine

Thanks for your help but Collingwood is fine, if other clubs choose to change their jumpers 100's of times then when they find one that clashes with the Pies decide to keep it thats not our problem

Re: Black and white striped jumpers that Collingwood could wear as a viable clash strip

Here's my idea:

cwdark1.jpg

Basically, the current home jumper with the white stripe panels in outline only...

Or if they need an inversed version for a "light" clash strip:

cwligh1.jpg

I made this white jumper and a black one 2 years ago, now I don't know if parano1a ever saw them, but if he did please don't try and pass my concept off as your own.... someone from bigfooty sent them into SEN and I even had an interview with that Mark Dooran guy.

345lslv.jpg

Pretty much every club then bar Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Essendon & Richmond? Not a problem with Sydneys jumper though. Freo's jumper would be great if they got rid of the red & green on it.

all except brisbane, carlton, essendon, and richmond.

the worst are freo's multiple-coloured front and then solid-purple back, st. kilda's tri-paneled front and solid-black back. but they're by no means alone. the top half of the back of all striped and hooped guernsey clubs are different to the rest of their guernseys.

big professional sporting federations and leagues around the world regulate that the front and back of shirts, jumpers, etc must be the same to avoid the ridiculous match-day strip issues the AFL exposes itself to on a weekly basis. instead of serving the main purpose of clearly differentiating match-day teams, playing strips in the AFL are just a mix and mash of multiple designs and colours which cause the problem.

this thread merely advocates more of band-aid solutions on a case by case basis. uniformity is paramount for an effective league-wide solution.

Thats why we have the current black jumper which when worn with black shorts whilst Geelong wear white and Kangas blue doesnt clash, which is one reason for the change back then, they were our only clash, Port wasnt an issue, the Saints were in the red jumper, everything was fine

Thanks for your help but Collingwood is fine, if other clubs choose to change their jumpers 100's of times then when they find one that clashes with the Pies decide to keep it thats not our problem

Thank you once again for your input, eddiesmith, but I fear you are missing the point of this thread. No, wait a minute, this is a merged thread now. This isn't just about jumper designs anymore, it is an all encompassing clash jumper thread now.

You have a pretty blinkered view of things, eddiesmith. Never fear, you aren't alone in your views.

Comfort in numbers, it's a wonderful thing. Ask Eddie if you should mind how thick the stripes are when you get the chance. Cheers mate.

Why were Hawthorn allowed to add a white patch to their backs with a black number? The old yellow back with brown number suited their traditional colours far better.

The white number patch was on our jumper during the seventies. I don't think it increases a clash with any other jumper, as I don't think we actually have a clash with any jumper.

Possibly Richmond does (used to clash for me on sunny days, but I think with the different material this is no longer the case) but they have yellow numbers on black, so the white panel with black numbers actually contrasts with that.

We have a jumper now with dark back/white numbers as well (which we should never, ever wear again against Freo at Subiaco :mad:).

I made this white jumper and a black one 2 years ago, now I don't know if parano1a ever saw them, but if he did please don't try and pass my concept off as your own.... someone from bigfooty sent them into SEN and I even had an interview with that Mark Dooran guy.

345lslv.jpg

Nice work. I don't see why that one couldn't work and it has Eddy's bloody stripes on it.

I made this white jumper and a black one 2 years ago, now I don't know if parano1a ever saw them, but if he did please don't try and pass my concept off as your own....

I'm not claiming to have come up with the concept, however I did create those images back in 2005. Anyway as a Collingwood supporter I'd be happy to see them play in any variation of that pinstripe design, only when absolutely neccessary though (vs Geelong, North).

Anyway as a Collingwood supporter I'd be happy to see them play in any variation of that pinstripe design, only when absolutely neccessary though (vs Geelong, North).

I think the pinstripes look really good.

I also like the reverse you've done of it, but your existing away/clash jumper (your original) does a more than adequate job where a white top is needed (against Carlton ¿and St Kilda?).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similar, except prison bar style this time.

portstripesls0.jpg

Perhaps too Port Magpies...

Sure is. If Collingwood can protect their oh so precious black and white vertical stripe jumper, then Port will do the same with their black and white prison bar jumper.

Re: Eddie on 3AW re clash jumpers - time for some facts

The contributions on Jumper design have shown how easy it is for Collingwood to have a genuine clash Jumper. In fact there have been several that would easily fit the requirements and still preserve the black and white with some striping.

The requirement also needs to extend to Essendon and Richmond. Richmond recently played a game in yellow and black stripes that would give a clear difference for Essendon games.

On the overall clash theme, I see no reason that any club should restrict themselves to a home strip and an away strip. Why not have several designs that can be itilised to prevent clashes with different teams? English Premier League Soccer which is really the biggest football competition in the world sees clubs appear in several different colours without any damage to individual club brand.
Eddie even lets Newcastle United play in Black and White stripes.

Thanks for your input. The original Collingwood jumper, this is a great strip, and works well with the white shorts when you play Carlton.

It still clashes with North Melbourne and Geelong though, and as such isn't suitable for away games against these teams.

AND therein lies the argument..... Why, exactly, do we have to wear this jumper against north or geelong? Why not our predominately black jumper, avoiding a clash?

AND therein lies the argument..... Why, exactly, do we have to wear this jumper against north or geelong? Why not our predominately black jumper, avoiding a clash?

It doesn't avoid a clash. White shorts with your thick white stripes, clash with the majority white of North Melbourne. There's plenty of threads discussing this, please keep this thread from becoming another one.

I really like this, but it is a black alternative they need. I think it would look great reversed.

345lslv.jpg

Nice work. I don't see why that one couldn't work and it has Eddy's bloody stripes on it.

Won't it still clash with North home strip? This is the point.

Sure is. If Collingwood can protect their oh so precious black and white vertical stripe jumper, then Port will do the same with their black and white prison bar jumper.

You do, you wear it in the SANFL where it belongs.

Re: Eddie on 3AW re clash jumpers - time for some facts

Or if they need an inversed version for a "light" clash strip:

cwligh1.jpg

Not too different from the heritage jumper they wore in 2003 - and as that one was approved and worn I guess it is acceptable to Eddie and the traditionalists and coud be worn again. So the light clash strip is already covered.

The shorts-based solution only works if the players tuck their jumpers into their shorts.

Matthew Lloyd never causes a clash because you can always see those giant shorts.

Maybe we need a fashion police like they have in the AFL to ensure that the jumpers are tucked into the shorts so every player can clearly see what shorts they are wearing. Same thing with socks, which would also help alleviate the problem with clashes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Merged clash jumper threads

Remove this Banner Ad

Back