memberforever

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
FFC
IF Collingwood and Eddie were serious they would.........

Put a ban on all drinking by players for the rest of the season.

A Motto in the boxing Gym where I once helped out back in the 1970's was:

If you train don't drink, if you drink then don't train.

Re: IF Collingwood and Eddie were serious they would.........

That is ridiculous. How about you let players make their own decisions like all adults do?

Exactly, like Malthouse said "We already run their lives"

Blokes need to make the right decisions for themselves. Does your employer mother you?

I agree 100%....a total season ban would be a good answer for all clubs.
From pre-season to the completion of the finals.
At the moment it is Collingwood in the spotlight but the majority of off-field incidents over the last few years have been at least alcohol related.
The players are employed to perform athletically and alcohol would generally be considered as counter productive in athletic pursuits.
It would be a simple way to iron out the perceived inconsistencies regarding individual clubs responses to various incidents which would have all had very different facts regarding alcohol.
A general ban would put all players on the same footing and give Club a definite course of action should a player transgress.

You drink in training, your sacked, no come back, no compensation.

Players should drink if that's how they let their hair down. They shuold be a bit smarter about where and when but I don't subscribe to treating adults like kids.

Dont need to bring in a no drinking ban, the players just have to be more responsible when they do get on the piss. But surely if Eddies rant about Collingwood standing for something then Shaw will be suspened and Didak given the arse.

Its not much use putting a ban on drinking, the players aren't under 24 hour monitoring and I'm sure that many players from probably every club have drank alcohol and driven during the season without getting caught. A better solution would be for the clubs to install breathalisers within the players cars, the ones that don't allow the car to start unless the reading is under .05, that would be more appropriate.

Players should drink if that's how they let their hair down. They shuold be a bit smarter about where and when but I don't subscribe to treating adults like kids.

You'd think this sort of binge drinking would be bad for fitness. Maybe they should get back on the gear and hope to avoid a urine test.

If they were serious Didak would be told he has played his last game for Collingwood and will be traded. Heath Shaw also wont play until 2009.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not much use putting a ban on drinking, the players aren't under 24 hour monitoring and I'm sure that many players from probably every club have drank alcohol and driven during the season without getting caught. A better solution would be for the clubs to install breathalisers within the players cars, the ones that don't allow the car to start unless the reading is under .05, that would be more appropriate.

In amongst the hysteria about these clowns being out on the turps and breaking road rules, we overlook the fact that they could have been injured or killed, which would tend hurt the team just a little bit I imagine.

Nevertheless, I'm a little bothered by the fact that we are all anticipating Collingwood will suspend one or both, not because they were drunk or that they endangered lives, but because they told a porky pie. Surely if the drink driving didn't rate a suspension, that making them play was a harsher penalty, then Collingwood has stick by that policy.

Nevertheless, I'm a little bothered by the fact that we are all anticipating Collingwood will suspend one or both, not because they were drunk or that they endangered lives, but because they told a porky pie. Surely if the drink driving didn't rate a suspension, that making them play was a harsher penalty, then Collingwood has stick by that policy.

you make a good point. I'm sure they will explain it in a way that doesn't look hypocritical but going by their logic they should be made to play reserves and league this week ;)

In a team sport, lying to your team-mates, captain & coach is a worse 'offence' than getting drunk or drink driving.

I'm sure it will be seen as such too.

What Song Would Be Appropriate For The Collingwood Fiasco?

:D:DThe DELE LARMER wants to know what song would suit this mess with Heath Shaw and Didak! What about the old Dobbie bros. classic "WHAT A FOOL BELIEVES":D

Re: What Song Would Be Appropriate ForThe Collingwood Fiasco?

Like it:D Here,s one from the past,from the 70's a band called Frank Zappa and the mothers of invention,the Album "Billy the Mountain" the track that would fit perfectly"EDDIE ARE YOU KIDDING" look it up and have a LAUGH!:D

Simple as that. If I were a coach at a huge institution like Collingwood and players were letting themselves, me and the club down I would hit the bloody roof. They would get the bolloking of their lives.

How would YOUR Club handle the Didak/Shaw situation?

It's easy enough to criticise Collingwood for not suspending their player (after initial news) and interesting to hear Collingwood fans say they'd be pissed off if they did. The general gist was that the kid is paid to play footy, why hurt the Club anymore by lessening their chance to win? What will the sanctions be now the subsequent truth has come out?

I wonder how YOUR club would handle things. And secondly, how would you prefer them to handle it?

I think it is probable that Adelaide would have suspended initially immediately, and after the revelation that has since come out, sacked one or both of the players. I know not many people agree with me, but I actually like the hard stance my Club takes in these matters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Merged Collingwood / Eddie discussion threads

Remove this Banner Ad

Back